Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 12:02 AM

7 posts, read 38,960 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am getting married in August. I am starting to look for a venue and I am very cost savvy. I have the money to pay for more but I am trying to do this debt free! It's a challenge! Okay so here is what I can live with or without.
--I have to be married in a church, any is okay as long as it is not Catholic. It needs to be architecturally attractive. Must have a sound system of some sort.
-- the reception site must be inside. I am concerned for about heat issues for older adults and lots of dancing bodies.
--I would like to be able to dance.
--I will have up to 70.
--I will be serving a simple meal of buffet fajitas.
--I will need a reception site that is attractive that doesn't have posters hanging or that "fellowship hall feel"
-I am willing to be married in a church and have the reception at the church reception hall if it is not too "depressing looking"
I am hoping someone knows of a few places. I have been looking for awhile now. PLEASE help me! All of you who attend those churches out there? What do your fellowship halls look like? Would they be okay for a reception?

Someone give me the inside scoop?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 12:23 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,941,720 times
A few earlier threads on the topic of budget wedding ideas that may be helpful:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...ding-very.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...-possible.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...ning-help.html

Old 02-15-2013, 09:01 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,440,720 times
why do churches even charge? if it is not being used why rent it out. especially if it is for members. i never did understand it. as long as the people clean up afterward.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:33 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,718,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
why do churches even charge? if it is not being used why rent it out. especially if it is for members. i never did understand it. as long as the people clean up afterward.
I used to work for a church. They charged because the utilities were used (have to run the ac a while before the ceremony to cool down a large building), because someone had to be there to unlock the church for the rehearsal and for the wedding the next day, someone had to run the sound equipment, someone had to clean up afterwards. (bathrooms, bride's room, vacuuming, etc). The church I worked for did offer a discount for members.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:47 AM

905 posts, read 1,621,027 times
Try the Little church of La Villita and have the reception in one of the squares there. I recently went to a wedding there and reception to follow in one of the squares which I don't recall the name of the particular square. It was extremely nice, being at a reception outside, downtown in La Villita

Old 02-15-2013, 11:29 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,049,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathershoresincolorado View Post
Hello! I am getting married in August. I am starting to look for a venue and I am very cost savvy. I have the money to pay for more but I am trying to do this debt free! It's a challenge! Okay so here is what I can live with or without.
--I have to be married in a church, any is okay as long as it is not Catholic. It needs to be architecturally attractive. Must have a sound system of some sort.
-- the reception site must be inside. I am concerned for about heat issues for older adults and lots of dancing bodies.
--I would like to be able to dance.
--I will have up to 70.
--I will be serving a simple meal of buffet fajitas.
--I will need a reception site that is attractive that doesn't have posters hanging or that "fellowship hall feel"
-I am willing to be married in a church and have the reception at the church reception hall if it is not too "depressing looking"
I am hoping someone knows of a few places. I have been looking for awhile now. PLEASE help me! All of you who attend those churches out there? What do your fellowship halls look like? Would they be okay for a reception?

Someone give me the inside scoop?

Thank you.
The OP said she wanted it inside..citing the reasons above.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:08 PM

Thanks for responding out there! Keep it up. Conversation is good. But yes I would like an inside reception. I feel the fun would last longer. Us Texans need our AC! lol.
Okay I have checked on that place and it was not useful. They have have no sound there. And it was too expensive for the ceremony only.

I'm hoping there are church members out there who will say WE JUST RENOVATED OUR FELLOWSHIP HALL AND IT WOULD BE GOOD FOR A RECEPTION.

I need to be a in beautiful place, nothing depressing. I grew up southern baptist and saw my sharing of depressing fellowship halls. WOW! I attended several weddings in them as well and decided I never wanted my wedding in one.
Of course I am swallowing pride to save money but I still need asthetic beauty on some level.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:09 PM

Default Church with new-ER Fellowship Hall or Reception Hall or Community Center for a Wedding

Hello I am marrying in August and need to have my wedding ceremony and reception for under 1500. That would need to include all extra charges. I have been looking extensively and now and am hoping to have people comment that can attest to a place that is clean and good looking...I'm open to ideas. I am open to non-church places as long as they have a place that resembles a church---for example The Spire at sunset station is a possibility. I am certainly willing to provide more info. Just ask.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:11 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,510,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathershoresincolorado View Post
Thanks for responding out there! Keep it up. Conversation is good. But yes I would like an inside reception. I feel the fun would last longer. Us Texans need our AC! lol.
Okay I have checked on that place and it was not useful. They have have no sound there. And it was too expensive for the ceremony only.

I'm hoping there are church members out there who will say WE JUST RENOVATED OUR FELLOWSHIP HALL AND IT WOULD BE GOOD FOR A RECEPTION.

I need to be a in beautiful place, nothing depressing. I grew up southern baptist and saw my sharing of depressing fellowship halls. WOW! I attended several weddings in them as well and decided I never wanted my wedding in one.
Of course I am swallowing pride to save money but I still need asthetic beauty on some level.
I know you said not Catholic, but you don't have to be Catholic to be married at one of the Missions. So if you're not worried about physically being inside a Catholic church (for a non-Catholic wedding), that's an option to consider.

What about the church where you're a member?

If you're not already on theknot.com, they have local boards with tons of people planning weddings who may have more up to date info for you. I'd recommend checking there.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:32 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,718,094 times
One of my friends got married at the Spire at Sunset Station year before last. She said it was something like $55 per person, plus extras.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio