Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 04:59 AM

343 posts, read 1,606,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by passitup View Post
valleygalbabs,
I'm finding quite the opposite... maybe it depends on what side of town you are on. I can only speak for the far west side where I live. Yesterday I went to HEB Plus and WalMart-- both at Potranco/1604. All I hear is Spanish in these stores!! I stopped and looked around and for the first time, really realized that I am the minority here. My son-in-law can't get a job with a college degree because he cannot speak Spanish. He is fully-qualified and was told to forget it because a minority who speaks Spanish will beat him out of jobs unless he has serious "connections" to help him.
My daughter can't rise above an entry-level postition because she cannot speak Spanish (she has a degree, also, and took a $4 hr pay-cut from her job in New Jersey). Except for the Time Warner technician, I have had no other English-speaking workers in my home. I'm talking about painters, electricians, the landscaper's helpers, etc.
Well, reverse racism is possible in the hispanic race as well. Let's face it, they evidentally have the upper hand in San Antonio, run the town, and own many of the major businesses. Can you blame them for favoring their own after getting passed over everywhere else? Indeed, there obviously is a reverse discrimination thing happening there in SA, but also a de facto language requirement per the job market. Its called the "all things being equal" proviso, in other words, all things being equal, the bilingual speakier will always be favored in the application process being bilingual, in that it would increase the sales/cut back on workers in that field, which it usually does. From what I hear, it is easiest to compare San Antonio to Monterrey, Mex., which it closely approximates in size and wealth. It is a de facto Mexican city that happens to find itself on the wining side ofthe line in the spanish-American war, whereas Monterrey was on the losing side of that line. Simple as that.....If Davy Crockett and his pals didn't get as much "press" for that little skirmish in town, perhaps things would have been different!

Old 11-01-2007, 08:50 PM

154 posts, read 630,219 times
Quote:
valleygalbabs,
I'm finding quite the opposite... maybe it depends on what side of town you are on. I can only speak for the far west side where I live. Yesterday I went to HEB Plus and WalMart-- both at Potranco/1604. All I hear is Spanish in these stores!! I stopped and looked around and for the first time, really realized that I am the minority here
I can't speak to the job part, but I can speak to this. Yes, one hears a lot of Spanish being spoken in stores, restaurants, etc. However, the vast majority of those people also speak English, so how is that a problem? The person chattering away in Spanish immediately switches to English if I ask a question, so it's cool.

I plan on learning Spanish eventually, maybe taking some classes, just because I'd like to learn, and it would be helpful. (Well, and because I have this desire to read Pablo Neruda, whom I love, in his native tongue. I've been told he is even more beautiful in Spanish than in translation.) But it's certainly not necessary here to function.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:33 AM

187 posts, read 942,910 times
lol I have a friend who moved here and thought we all lived in Adobes with dirt roads. Yea your remark is about as ignorant. Not to be rude but it is.

I grew up here. Both parents are part Mexican. I still struggle to speak Spanish. THEY grew up here not knowing spanish but learned it later as I have. I learned Spanish in college. So no were not all in sombereros, speaking spanish napping at noon. mmmkay

Old 11-08-2007, 09:53 AM

36 posts, read 146,576 times
Pops said it very well. I agree San Antonio is NOT Los Angeles/California where illegals are now dominating the culture. San Antonio is a town of generations of Spanish speaking settlers who are assimilated. Trust me this is not LA

I lived in Granada Hills, north west los angeles county where a pharmacy emplyee had gave me my instructions in spanish. After I let him go on and finish, I then said that was very nice but I do not speak spanish and would appreciate the instructions in English. The line behind me clapped.

San Antonio todate has not been as spanish oriented language wise. And I do not think it ever will. I do understand Dallas is worse. Chicago is worse.. Many parts of the country have many more illegals and thus the problem. No citizens of the country.

I am a believer that this is America and the language here is English and we must make it the only language in the work force to give a chance for employment to our citizens.

The lack of English on our society is part of the demise of the middle class.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:56 AM

925 posts, read 1,222,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest1230 View Post
Well, reverse racism is possible in the hispanic race as well. Let's face it, they evidentally have the upper hand in San Antonio, run the town, and own many of the major businesses. Can you blame them for favoring their own after getting passed over everywhere else? Indeed, there obviously is a reverse discrimination thing happening there in SA, but also a de facto language requirement per the job market. Its called the "all things being equal" proviso, in other words, all things being equal, the bilingual speakier will always be favored in the application process being bilingual, in that it would increase the sales/cut back on workers in that field, which it usually does. From what I hear, it is easiest to compare San Antonio to Monterrey, Mex., which it closely approximates in size and wealth. It is a de facto Mexican city that happens to find itself on the wining side ofthe line in the spanish-American war, whereas Monterrey was on the losing side of that line. Simple as that.....If Davy Crockett and his pals didn't get as much "press" for that little skirmish in town, perhaps things would have been different!
I can see why this person was banned. From this and many other posts I read of his on other city sections.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:25 PM

454 posts, read 503,023 times
Quote:
valleygalbabs,
I'm finding quite the opposite... maybe it depends on what side of town you are on. I can only speak for the far west side where I live. Yesterday I went to HEB Plus and WalMart-- both at Potranco/1604. All I hear is Spanish in these stores!! I stopped and looked around and for the first time, really realized that I am the minority here. My son-in-law can't get a job with a college degree because he cannot speak Spanish. He is fully-qualified and was told to forget it because a minority who speaks Spanish will beat him out of jobs unless he has serious "connections" to help him.
My daughter can't rise above an entry-level postition because she cannot speak Spanish (she has a degree, also, and took a $4 hr pay-cut from her job in New Jersey). Except for the Time Warner technician, I have had no other English-speaking workers in my home. I'm talking about painters, electricians, the landscaper's helpers, etc.
Honestly it sounds like they're using that as an excuse. I know many people in SA who don't speak Spanish but have good jobs, myself included. It would be useful if I spoke more than I did, but that has more to do with my work in the Valley than locally.

I've had many workers in my home, some only Spanish speaking. Some not.

The US does not have a national language. I say the more languages spoken, the better for us all.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:01 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaTexan View Post
I think language is one of the largest misconceptions individuals have when speaking of San Antonio. It is typically viewed as having to speak Spanish if considering living in San Antonio and that is the farthest from the truth. There are "pockets" within the city in which Spanish is predominantly spoken but it is mainly between friends, family members, etc. Overwhelmingly, Engish is spoken by the majority.
I think alot of people see SA as a Miami Jr with a Mexican twist.

And spanish is a must....

Old 11-09-2007, 03:51 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,327,662 times
I’ve been to Miami and trust me, it isn’t a Miami Jr in the least. Spanish is not a must here. I couldn’t stand being in Miami because people expected me (Hispanic) to speak Spanish… I have been spoken to in Spanish here but when I answer back in English, they quickly change gears. No dirty looks or asking my heritage like in Miopia, I mean Miami. Nonyagoddamnbiz what my heritage is!! After a dolphins game, we drove right to Orlando which was a little better but still the same feeling. Glad my Titans beat their Dolphins!

Last edited by SA Greed; 11-09-2007 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: taking out clippers.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:17 AM

187 posts, read 942,910 times
And more importantly the vast majority of hispanics here that speak English speak it well. Forget all the rediculous stereotypes of everyone speaking with a heavy accented gang member. George Lopez is not representative of San Antonio. Think Henry Cisneros
YouTube - Henry Cisneros at San Antonio GOTV rally 12-10-2006.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:05 AM

41 posts, read 52,826 times
Chakapu,
I finally had some time to respond... actually, I know for a FACT that not being bi-lingual hurt my kids... my daughter's supervisor is a personal friend and she told me that it is just the plain truth of the matter. Also, as I said before, maybe it depends on what part of town you live in... I was up at the Shops at La Cantera and every single store I went into, salespeople were speaking Spanish. Sometimes, they will switch to English when waiting on me; sometimes not. Your comment about the US not having a national language is the kind of attitude that is allowing this country to fall apart. The more languages the better? Give me a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio