Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 12:18 PM

616 posts, read 2,083,456 times

Advertisements

The ability to be multilingual is a sign of a quality education. People should be demanding that their children become at the very least bilingual, if they want them to be able to compete in a world economy changed by globalization. I speak three languages and am working on a fourth whenever I get a scrap of time. It's done nothing but help me in my life, and it certainly doesn't hurt the US for our population to be multilingual. A mutilingual population is better able to compete in a connected, global economy.

Quote:
Your comment about the US not having a national language is the kind of attitude that is allowing this country to fall apart.
This is so laughable, I don't know where to begin.

Also, the reason that so many clerks at La Cantera speak Spanish is because one of the major groups the center is going for is the rich Mexican National tourist up for a spot of shopping and a spa day. This demographic spends money like water, and looks for a high level of personal attention while shopping, which includes Spanish-conversant store attendants.

Finally, remember this - they've been speaking Spanish here much, much longer than they've been speaking English. It's awfully anglocentric to decree that English has more of a right than any other language.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:03 PM

925 posts, read 1,227,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passitup View Post
Chakapu,
I finally had some time to respond... actually, I know for a FACT that not being bi-lingual hurt my kids... my daughter's supervisor is a personal friend and she told me that it is just the plain truth of the matter. Also, as I said before, maybe it depends on what part of town you live in... I was up at the Shops at La Cantera and every single store I went into, salespeople were speaking Spanish. Sometimes, they will switch to English when waiting on me; sometimes not.
Funny, I do business at the Shops twice a week. I've never had a sales person come up to me speaking Spanish nor have I ever seen a sales person just walk up to someone and begin speaking Spanish. They always say hello or may I help you first. If the person speaks spanish then and only then does the sales person begin speaking. Speaking spanish is probably a great plus at The Shops, as a lot of Mexican nationals come over to shop there.

Quote:
Your comment about the US not having a national language is the kind of attitude that is allowing this country to fall apart. The more languages the better? Give me a break.
This country doesn't have a national language. What's making this country fall apart are people like you that seem to have forgotten you elementary school teachings. This country is quite young, this country was populated by immigrates who spoke many different languages and whose off spring generations still do. Our "english" is just a dumb down version of other languages and nothing more. This country is a melting pot and is probably the most diversified place on the planet, and its people like you who are ignorant to the past and so self important that they think the language their household spoke is the only true language. Please, buy a clue.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:24 PM

99 posts, read 394,300 times
This country doesn't have a national language. What's making this country fall apart are people like you that seem to have forgotten you elementary school teachings. This country is quite young, this country was populated by immigrates who spoke many different languages and whose off spring generations still do. Our "english" is just a dumb down version of other languages and nothing more. This country is a melting pot and is probably the most diversified place on the planet, and its people like you who are ignorant to the past and so self important that they think the language their household spoke is the only true language. Please, buy a clue.[/quote]

I just wanted to say, as a daughter of an immigrant, that when my Mom and grandparents came here, their number one priority was to learn English. In fact, my Mom learned English before she even arrived. She was 16 when she came and she was fluent in English, Portuguese (she waited in Brazil 13 years to be allowed into this Country) and her native language.

She grew up poor as a porcupine...she didn't have indoor plumbing until she came here. She never had an apple until she came here.

Anyway, my point is, the many past immigrants who came here all melted into this culture and strived to speak English.

Let's recognize the importance of us all speaking English and honor the abilites to speak other languages.

In fact, I am really surprised that San Antonio schools do not have Spanish immersion programs for those who want to raise bilingual children. Massachussetts has them...why not Texas?

Old 11-29-2007, 08:25 PM

616 posts, read 2,083,456 times
I want to say that there's a very highly ranked elementary school that has one- Bonham, maybe? I know that when I was at Keystone, a friend of mine's parents started his little sister at the SAISD elementary school in their area (which I think was Bonham) because it had the immersion program, rather than at Keystone, which was considered very shocking to the other parents.

I've seen this current of anti-intellectualist bile before, that somehow being multilingual or bilingual is harmful, but I just don't get it. It's an alien concept to me that more learning, more education, is bad.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:39 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,153,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Rigby View Post

I've seen this current of anti-intellectualist bile before, that somehow being multilingual or bilingual is harmful, but I just don't get it. It's an alien concept to me that more learning, more education, is bad.
I agree...I took spanish in high school and french while at TU...my spanish is so much better than french but I'm far from fluent. I truly wish I was fluent and I try to be conversational while practicing with friends but I still have a ways to go. I only see being bilingual or multilingual as an added plus in today's world.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:44 PM

531 posts, read 2,074,129 times
u guys r nuts? ever been to la there are whole shopping centers where 75% of the signs are in espanol. If you speak in English they look at you like you got lost.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:17 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,455,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
u guys r nuts? ever been to la there are whole shopping centers where 75% of the signs are in espanol. If you speak in English they look at you like you got lost.
I find that rather strange. I live in San Diego and in the year I've been here I have yet to HAVE to speak Spanish to anyone. You would think being less than 30 minutes from the border, I wouldn't have a problem finding someone with whom to converse in Spanish.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:29 PM

454 posts, read 505,202 times
Quote:
Chakapu,
I finally had some time to respond... actually, I know for a FACT that not being bi-lingual hurt my kids... my daughter's supervisor is a personal friend and she told me that it is just the plain truth of the matter. Also, as I said before, maybe it depends on what part of town you live in...
I live on the southside. My Spanish is passable in situations where it's absolutely required, but anything but fluent. I could easily get by in my day to day life without speaking it.

Maybe you ought to move to the Southside?

Quote:
Your comment about the US not having a national language is the kind of attitude that is allowing this country to fall apart. The more languages the better? Give me a break.
I really can see absolutely nothing wrong and everything right with being able to speak more than one language. Being bilingual has never hurt anybody.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:32 PM

454 posts, read 505,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by els565 View Post

In fact, I am really surprised that San Antonio schools do not have Spanish immersion programs for those who want to raise bilingual children. Massachussetts has them...why not Texas?

Our elementary (SAISD) does have an immersion program, and I know of at least one other which does. I am not sure how many there are in the city in total.

I'd love a French immersion program, for now it's just Spanish.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:29 PM

571 posts, read 1,932,229 times
Sorry to bring up an old post but is there really even a 'hispanic' community in SA? Or is it all just 3rd generation hispanics who look at you dirty if you speak Spanish or have dark skin? I'm 'white' but my husband is from Mexico and I would like our kids to know both cultures.. Are hispanic holidays and traditions celebrated in SA or only as it relates to 'tourist' events ..? A main reason I want to move to SA is because I wanted an active and vibrant hispanic community.. Now I am worried would we be looked down on not just from 'whites' but also from other hispanics just because my husband was not born in the U.S. (but he was raised here) ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio