U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 05:34 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,378,717 times

Advertisements

I know that we seem to be at odds from time to time about where is the best place in the world to live (and lets face it, it is a close contest between SoCal and San Antonio) but at this time of horrible loss and tragedy with the numerous fires that the beautiful southern California area are now suffering from, our thoughts and prayers are with those that have loved ones, live or have property in that area.

When such devestating natural disasters strike, it gives us time to reflect that we are all in this world together to support and help each other, and our prayers for safety and peace are with you at this most difficult time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 05:35 PM

14,627 posts, read 31,217,395 times
Amen, Paka. This is a horrible time for them, and my thoughts and prayers are with everyone there today.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:07 PM

11,435 posts, read 16,470,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I know that we seem to be at odds from time to time about where is the best place in the world to live (and lets face it, it is a close contest between SoCal and San Antonio) but at this time of horrible loss and tragedy with the numerous fires that the beautiful southern California area are now suffering from, our thoughts and prayers are with those that have loved ones, live or have property in that area.

When such devestating natural disasters strike, it gives us time to reflect that we are all in this world together to support and help each other, and our prayers for safety and peace are with you at this most difficult time.
yeah really. they really are suffering over there. they need our prayers and thoughts.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:06 PM

3,542 posts, read 7,538,767 times
What a terrible situation they are stuck in. Unfortunately it will not be until midweek until the winds die down -- and then the firefighters will finally be able to contain the fires. Until then, may God be with them in mind, body, and spirit and protect their homes in this crisis.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:26 PM

3,471 posts, read 17,275,074 times
I have friends who live in Old Town San Diego. They are fine, but they have 3 families moving into thier house with them(they do have lots of room). Thier friends lost everything. They( the friends) lived outside SD and just ran when the fire stom headed toward them.
I can't imagine such a thing happening, and my friends are well enough off and have the room, they are makng a party out of it for a few days until insurance and families recover thier wits to make plans.
God Bless good people. Sometimes it's all we have.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:49 PM

679 posts, read 2,607,791 times
Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. I'm not in SoCal, but my children are. My daughter was sent home from work early so they wouldn't get caught in the fire path. One time I was driving home after visiting there, and the fire were in the hills closer north where I live. I had to drive through the hills with fires on both sides of me...both sides of the road, with the road being the only thing not on fire. Thick smoke, helicopter over head dropping buckets of water, and you could look right to the shoulder of the road and see flames burning the shoulder on both sides. It was scary. I was so glad to get through that alive. I have no idea why the roads weren't closed. Maybe because there was nowhere for the drivers to go, so instead of trapping us, they let all traffic through.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:24 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,358,428 times
Please pray for my sister in law Alice and my niece Katherine and her husband David. They haven't had to evacuate but are standing ready.
My sister in law's brother Paul and his wife Jeanne, who live very near Alice, HAVE had to evacuate.
It is very scary.
Both Alice and my niece & her husband live in hilly areas, the winds whip through pretty badly sometimes.
Alice is in La Jolla; so is her brother. Katherine & David are in San Diego but somewhat inland.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:32 PM

470 posts, read 1,792,464 times
Prayers going up over this crisis.......

Old 10-22-2007, 11:37 PM

615 posts, read 857,340 times
Default Thanks for the thoughts

It is pretty bad here - in my opinion worst than the 2003 fires. The air quality is horrific. We live in the South Bay and we can still smell of smoke and see ash falling from the sky. It's about 10:35 pm PST and the weather man says all is calm right now, but the winds are supposed to pick up at around 3 am. We're hoping that they're able to contain some of the fires. The real heros are the firemen. They look absolutely beat. Most have been up for 36+ hours and they are still going.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:39 PM

615 posts, read 857,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgirl2007 View Post
It is pretty bad here - in my opinion worst than the 2003 fires. The air quality is horrific. We live in the South Bay and we can still smell of smoke and see ash falling from the sky. It's about 10:35 pm PST and the weather man says all is calm right now, but the winds are supposed to pick up at around 3 am. We're hoping that they're able to contain some of the fires. The real heros are the firemen. They look absolutely beat. Most have been up for 36+ hours and they are still going.
P.S. We're relocating to San Antonio next month. Can't wait
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio