Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 10:24 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times

Advertisements

These will be friendly annexations. No area will get annexed unless its residents want to be annexed.

I wish the city had the gumption to annex some of the incorporated areas that it surrounds, like Balcones Heights (no more red light cameras!), Hollywood Park (no more school zone in front of the HP city hall!), or Shavano Park (consistent speed limit on DeZavala Rd.!).

Oh well. At least I don't have to live in those pockets of foolishness. Just have to drive through them sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 11:01 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
These will be friendly annexations. No area will get annexed unless its residents want to be annexed.

I wish the city had the gumption to annex some of the incorporated areas that it surrounds, like Balcones Heights (no more red light cameras!), Hollywood Park (no more school zone in front of the HP city hall!), or Shavano Park (consistent speed limit on DeZavala Rd.!).

Oh well. At least I don't have to live in those pockets of foolishness. Just have to drive through them sometimes.
The City CANT annex an incorporated city(without a mutual agreement). In all honesty, if you look back, you will find that many of these little cities within the city (all over the country) incorporated so the main city COULDNT annex that area. Yep, many of these places were a reaction to annexation in the first place.

BTW, many of those pockets of foolishness enjoy lower taxes, city codes/zoning that keep property values very high and amazing response times for public services. (and a lot of other things as well)

Old 02-23-2013, 11:31 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,995,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
The City CANT annex an incorporated city(without a mutual agreement). In all honesty, if you look back, you will find that many of these little cities within the city (all over the country) incorporated so the main city COULDNT annex that area. Yep, many of these places were a reaction to annexation in the first place.

BTW, many of those pockets of foolishness enjoy lower taxes, city codes/zoning that keep property values very high and amazing response times for public services. (and a lot of other things as well)
Does San Antonio really want to surpass Houston in population to become the largest city in Texas that bad?

Old 02-23-2013, 11:33 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,439,361 times
It wasn't that long ago that someone's McMansion burned to the ground while SAFD watched because it was verified to be outside the city limits.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:26 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by en28so View Post
Third World country? Can you please elaborate? So the area around AR looks like a third world country? Is that what you are talking about with your blanket statement? I came from a third world country, and know first hand what a real third world country looks like. And it's nothing like the far northwest, if that is what you are talking about.
I don't know why you modified my post in your quote. The "which" without a comma meant that it was in response to the subject directly preceeding it. In other words, I was describing the unincorporated northeast side which has been in the news lately for being trashy. Anyway, I didn't even mention the far northwest side in my post. I mentioned the far west side.

Last edited by L210; 02-24-2013 at 12:37 AM..

Old 02-24-2013, 12:45 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,840 times
There are several small cities that depend on the county for police services and/or fire services. I know at least one city uses SAFD. There are cities that use other cities for emergency dispatch. There are also cities that have their own police departments, but depend on the county to back them up when they actually have an emergency or when they have no one on duty.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:57 AM

863 posts, read 866,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Does San Antonio really want to surpass Houston in population to become the largest city in Texas that bad?
It's all about maintaining the tax base and San Antonio has had an aggressive annexation policy for decades. San Antonio leaders saw what had happened in other major cities and wanted to prevent higher income bedroom communities siphoning off tax revenue from the core city. That's why comparing "city population" is meaningless, it's comparing apples to oranges. San Antonio is really something closer to the 40th largest city in the USA.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:05 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
That's why comparing "city population" is meaningless, it's comparing apples to oranges. San Antonio is really something closer to the 40th largest city in the USA.
The city itself truly is in the top 10 largest cities by population. When you compare the San Antonio media market or metropolitan area (SMSA) to other cities, it becomes clearer that the population density of the metro area falls off of a cliff outside the city limits.

7th largest city (Source)

24th largest SMSA (Source)

36th largest TV market (Source)

The latter two rankings matter more for allocation of national resources and sports teams. The first one makes it clear how silly it is that we pay our city council reps $40 a month and our mayor $4000 a year.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:42 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
There are several small cities that depend on the county for police services and/or fire services. I know at least one city uses SAFD. There are cities that use other cities for emergency dispatch. There are also cities that have their own police departments, but depend on the county to back them up when they actually have an emergency or when they have no one on duty.

They pay for those services.

BTW, all Officers depend on all Officers for backup.

(example) If you are a Shavano Park PD and County is doing there thing in Shavano (or very close by) and they need backup...Shavano would back them up.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:05 PM

863 posts, read 866,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
The city itself truly is in the top 10 largest cities by population. When you compare the San Antonio media market or metropolitan area (SMSA) to other cities, it becomes clearer that the population density of the metro area falls off of a cliff outside the city limits.

7th largest city (Source)

24th largest SMSA (Source)

36th largest TV market (Source)
Yes. That was what I said. Thank you for providing the supporting data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio