U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 12:04 PM

7,666 posts, read 8,142,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
I would miss the plastic bags but life would go on. I try to never throw one away straight from the store. Always reuse them or return them to the store. We survived before them and we would survive with out them again.

I use the Trader Joe's canvas bags and love them! The Walmart and Heb ones tear up after a short time.
We survived before them because we had paper bags and I didnt have to remember to take bags to the store with me. What do you do if you have 10 bags worth of groceries and only brought 8 bags with you?

The whole thing is a pain in the butt in my opinion. I can use a plastic bag 4-5 times before it is thrown away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 12:10 PM

11,941 posts, read 12,835,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
We survived before them because we had paper bags and I didnt have to remember to take bags to the store with me. What do you do if you have 10 bags worth of groceries and only brought 8 bags with you?

The whole thing is a pain in the butt in my opinion. I can use a plastic bag 4-5 times before it is thrown away.
Happens all the time to me. In that case I get the plastic for the extra. Don't get me wrong, I use the heck out of the plastic bags but just get so many at the stores. I get tired of having to return them and I just don't need that many. The canvas bags work for me... when I can remember to use them.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:34 PM

344 posts, read 331,911 times
I like how a place like HEB is capitalizing on this.

Now they can make even more money by a. selling reusable bags b. saving money by using less plastic ones themselves.

At least a place like Whole Foods gives you a discount for using your own bags.

The only way I'd support this is if you'd get some type of savings for using reusable bags.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:12 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,823 posts, read 33,222,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastexan View Post
IAt least a place like Whole Foods gives you a discount for using your own bags.

The only way I'd support this is if you'd get some type of savings for using reusable bags.
This. Rather than banning plastic bags, I'd like to see the government require retailers to charge for them.

Under the city's proposal, the paper bags cost more and that additional cost will be factored into the price of everything the retailers sell. That cost will be passed along to everyone who shops at the store! Make the people who aren't bothering to use reusable bags pay more for the privilege.

I usually make the effort to use reusable bags. It would be nice to be rewarded for that effort with some savings.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:21 PM

11,166 posts, read 20,482,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
This. Rather than banning plastic bags, I'd like to see the government require retailers to charge for them.

Under the city's proposal, the paper bags cost more and that additional cost will be factored into the price of everything the retailers sell. That cost will be passed along to everyone who shops at the store! Make the people who aren't bothering to use reusable bags pay more for the privilege.

I usually make the effort to use reusable bags. It would be nice to be rewarded for that effort with some savings.
Are they talking about using paper bags instead? I thought they were talking about making the switch to reusable bags, not going back to paper.

I bought a bunch of the Walmart reusable bags but the cashiers acted like they were unable to fill the bags themselves. I was in a wheelchair at the time and bagging my own stuff didn't work well for me because I would drop it and it would roll away. Maybe now they're more used to the bags.

I never really see anyone using reusable bags out here on the far west side though, when we lived on the north side they were much more common.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:30 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,382,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastexan View Post
I like how a place like HEB is capitalizing on this.

Now they can make even more money by a. selling reusable bags b. saving money by using less plastic ones themselves.
FWIW, in the 24 years I've been using canvas bags, I've actually bought a grand total of 4 (2 from Trader Joe's in the late 80s, 1 from Stop N Shop - CT in the early 90s, and 1 from Sun Harvest about 10 yrs ago). I have a gazillion...ok, maybe 25. That's because SO MANY PLACES give them away. Every festival, every event, there are bag give aways. And friends have started using canvas bags to give birthday gifts at kids' parties.

HEB is hardly capitalizing on it. They've been offering bags for sale - as well as free bags at any event with which they are involved - for years.

By using less plastic, we ALL save. I do occasionally forget my bags, though I usually keep a few in my car now. When I do get plastic bags I use them for trash, but I'd be ok with buying them for the occasional use. I have to buy large trash bags anyway.

If people could be counted on to not litter, to reuse, then a ban may not be necessary. But people can't, so a ban may be the only option (or rather than a ban, a charge for the bags). This has been standard in many European countries since at least the 80s. The world hasn't ended.

And as for washing - throw them in your laundry periodically. If you buy meat, put it in a separate, designated bag, and wash that.

Whole Foods gives a small discount, Sun Harvest (now Sprouts) used to, not sure if they still due since the take over. Would like to see HEB/CM do it as well. Only 5 cents per bag, but it's a nice gesture.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:06 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,875,357 times
most of the garbage seen on the streets are mostly in poor neighborhoods. it is not the garbage bags that cause pollution, it is stupid people. eventually it will be banned, then comes another ban, then another. reusable bags is a good option for folks who want it. but the government would have to issue them to folks. which means the people who work will have to pay for them.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:22 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,873,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
most of the garbage seen on the streets are mostly in poor neighborhoods. it is not the garbage bags that cause pollution, it is stupid people. eventually it will be banned, then comes another ban, then another. reusable bags is a good option for folks who want it. but the government would have to issue them to folks. which means the people who work will have to pay for them.

I wonder if the people of this great city would vote for the ban? We should put it for a city wide vote since its going to directly affect all of us.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:34 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,875,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
I wonder if the people of this great city would vote for the ban? We should put it for a city wide vote since its going to directly affect all of us.
these politicians are sneaky, it is possible they would sneak it in somehow. then they would put up so much $$$$ for those who, for some reason, cannot afford to buy resuable bags. keep in mind these same folks probably have a some expensive cable bill that they can afford. maybe even a few cell phones and probably smoke a pack a day. but they cannot afford it. Workers would be considered unfair and as the villians against plastic bags. it is all about money. there are so many things to use the plastic bags for. i use it for dog poop. it is biodegradable.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:59 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,341,184 times
Let's face it... We're destined to trash this earth no matter what we do. Read up on recycling programs. They're mainly cash-cows, aimed at making overly-concerned folks feel better about themselves while doing very little good. The best thing you can personally do is rewash and reuse, if possible.

While my statement is a blunt one, that's not to say I want to see earth turn into a garbage bin. Quite the contrary- but passing these silly laws, inviting more Government into our lives and layering rules on top of rules to the point of suffocating common sense seems ridiculous to me.

BN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio