U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 03:06 PM

898 posts, read 1,243,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I guess we are now feeling the effect of California transplants here. What comes next? A naked bike ride? I may be liberal but some of this "save the mother earth" hippie stuff is silly to me. I guess that makes me more moderate than liberal.

I have been reusing all the plastic bags I bring home. They make the best trash can liners.

As long you follow one of the three R's, you are helping the environment. Recycle, Reduce, or Reuse.
+1.

I remember years ago in the late 80's this liberal hippy chick that I knew used to cross her arms and furrow her brow every time I went to the store if I didn't specify plastic instead of paper bags.
She said I needed to ask for plastic so we would use less paper and save the trees.
Fast forward 25 years and here we are talking about banning plastic bags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 03:16 PM

500 posts, read 796,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Let's face it... We're destined to trash this earth no matter what we do. Read up on recycling programs. They're mainly cash-cows, aimed at making overly-concerned folks feel better about themselves while doing very little good. The best thing you can personally do is rewash and reuse, if possible.

While my statement is a blunt one, that's not to say I want to see earth turn into a garbage bin. Quite the contrary- but passing these silly laws, inviting more Government into our lives and layering rules on top of rules to the point of suffocating common sense seems ridiculous to me.
I agree with all of these comments. Most recycling programs have become jokes. Good intention, poor execution. While I believe that everyone wants to see a more ecologically sound planet, it's very rare to see smart innovation legislated.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:55 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,340,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpantle View Post
I agree with all of these comments. Most recycling programs have become jokes. Good intention, poor execution. While I believe that everyone wants to see a more ecologically sound planet, it's very rare to see smart innovation legislated.
AMEN! Let's all just pull out the checkbook and write a check to buy a few more "carbon credits".....and let those that are making money off of it crawl back into their private jet from their limo and fly out, money in hand.....

I SOOOOO remember when Robert Kennedy Jr was on FOX News Bill O'Rilley who asked him, "so did you take a commercial flight here or your private plane" after he had done his 3 minute spchell about how we all needed to do our part to "make a smaller footprint" on our planet.....he just himmed and hawwed for about 2 minutes refusing to answer!

Old 02-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,128,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chud View Post
+1.

I remember years ago in the late 80's this liberal hippy chick that I knew used to cross her arms and furrow her brow every time I went to the store if I didn't specify plastic instead of paper bags.
She said I needed to ask for plastic so we would use less paper and save the trees.
Fast forward 25 years and here we are talking about banning plastic bags.
Times change and best practices change. For most of the 20th Century, people thought it was a great idea to have X-ray machines in shoe stores.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:48 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,172,603 times
We should ban cigarettes because I always see those on the side of the road. Plus, a plastic bad never started a fire when the ground was dry.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:50 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,898,971 times
For all the simplistic comparisons of plastic bags to other types of litter there is a failure to recognize the impact plastic bags alone have on our drains, waterways, and wildlife.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:36 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,172,603 times
There are already laws against littering. Why don't we enforce them instead of adding more laws to the books?

Old 02-20-2013, 10:51 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,128,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
There are already laws against littering. Why don't we enforce them instead of adding more laws to the books?
Who do you cite when you see 50 plastic bags in a ditch by the side of the road?

If by happenstance an LEO happens to witness a pedestrian tossing a 51st bag in that ditch, is it really the best use of that officer's time to stop and spend the next 15 minutes issuing a citation for that? Keep in mind that the most litter-laden areas of the city also happen to be the highest crime areas.

I'm not sold on this solution, either. But I'm also not convinced that putting cops on the street to catch litterbugs is the best solution.

Last edited by Bo; 02-20-2013 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: extra word

Old 02-20-2013, 10:53 AM

5,623 posts, read 6,407,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
I didn't realize so many would agree with the three R's rule I stated earlier but I can't take credit. The rule is usually taught in many environmental programs which is how I learned it and try to apply to all discared items at my house.

prim8 said it best.....Why can't we just enforce the existing laws against littering?

Old 02-20-2013, 10:58 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,356,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I didn't realize so many would agree with the three R's rule I stated earlier but I can't take credit. The rule is usually taught in many environmental programs which is how I learned it and try to apply to all discared items at my house.

prim8 said it best.....Why can't we just enforce the existing laws against littering?
Sometimes it's unintended. Walking around, I've seen plastics bags fly out of trash cans (the kind on public streets, no lids). I've also seen them fly out of trash trucks and most annoying, with the current trash collection system, I've seen the driver not have the arm/can directly over the opening, and all sorts of trash fly out into the street. Not just bags, but they are the easiest to fly as they're so light.

Definitely reduce and re-use (it takes our family of 4 a month to fill our garbage and recycling cans, we compost all organic waste at home), not using plastic bans is the first step in reduce and reusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio