U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 03:37 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,581,975 times

Advertisements

I don't know, something probably wrong with me, but I can NEVER remember to use my re-usable bags at the grocery store. Sure, they get used for other stuff but never for their intended purpose. I always end up with plastic bags... but I do re-use them, for what it's worth. We use them for all the little "wastebaskets" around the house and in the bathroom, and for cleaning the catbox, and for cleaning up after the dogs on walks. So we don't throw any of them away, at least, not until they've been re-used at least once and sometimes more than once.

My mother keeps 2 or 3 reusable bags in her truck and never buys more than 2 or 3 bags of groceries at a time since she is just one person, so maybe that is why she, while as forgetful as I am, seems to be able to remember this? My excuse is that I am shopping for five people plus cats and dogs. I would need a lot of bags for some trips and it seems the bags are always at home, never in the van.

Now on that note, I shopped recently at a local second hand store and my goods were bagged up in the coolest re-usable bag I've seen yet, made from a t-shirt. Like this:

If anyone wants an alternative. I am funny about the way things feel and I hate to touch the standard $.99 reusable bags from HEB, they feel "gross" to me so the t-shirt bag would be my preference. If I could remember to use them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 04:48 PM

227 posts, read 282,680 times
I think all of those idiots in city hall, including mayor castrated, should wear the bag over their heads. Many people use those bags for trash and carrying other items. We use alot of ours for misc. things and return the rest back to the store. We also use the cloth bags most of the time but there are a lot of concerns about the sanitary use of those bags. I can buy as many as I want and throw them away after a few uses but how will the poor deal with this?? They cant afford to keep buying the cloth bags abd they get multiple uses out of a plastic grocery bag that they get for free.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:52 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,827 posts, read 33,239,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeckRick View Post
how will the poor deal with this?? They cant afford to keep buying the cloth bags abd they get multiple uses out of a plastic grocery bag that they get for free.
Posters above seem convinced that everyone will be forced to use reusable bags. That's not how I read the descriptions of the new law. Even the title of the thread doesn't imply that. Paper bags will be made available again, which will have similar benefits for the city's environment, since paper bags are recyclable and compostable. I suppose it will be up to the retailers whether they charge for the paper bags.

Plastic bags are not accepted in the city's recycling program. They actually gum up the recycling machinery and cost the city money. The city generates revenue from recyclables, so the city can actually profit from the addition of paper bags to the recycled waste stream, generating a larger volume of material for recycling. Paper grocery bags will achieve that end without inconveniencing the poor.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:01 PM

834 posts, read 1,801,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post

Times change and best practices change. For most of the 20th Century, people thought it was a great idea

to have X-ray machines in shoe stores.
they had one in the basement at the Downtown Sears in the 1950s.

when Sears was where the Library is now.

we loved that store and the machine. you could see the bones in your feet inside the shoes.

yessir I am from the 50s and the 60s.

the best of times, never to be repeated.

ya had to be there..........

Old 02-24-2013, 05:52 PM

344 posts, read 332,268 times
Quote:
Posters above seem convinced that everyone will be forced to use reusable bags. That's not how I read the descriptions of the new law. Even the title of the thread doesn't imply that. Paper bags will be made available again, which will have similar benefits for the city's environment, since paper bags are recyclable and compostable. I suppose it will be up to the retailers whether they charge for the paper bags.

Plastic bags are not accepted in the city's recycling program. They actually gum up the recycling machinery and cost the city money. The city generates revenue from recyclables, so the city can actually profit from the addition of paper bags to the recycled waste stream, generating a larger volume of material for recycling. Paper grocery bags will achieve that end without inconveniencing the poor.

And its really dumb. I mean I get it that it doesnt work with the machinery, but with them so available and so few knowing this its bad for the program in and of itself.

Why the city doesnt a. do more for educating the public or b. figure out a way to work with them is beyond me.

Probably because its too much work.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:35 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,389,649 times
They already charge for plastic bags in Hawaii...even on the military bases. I think it was 5 cents per bag.....

Old 02-25-2013, 08:52 AM

52 posts, read 80,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
They make the best trash can liners.
this right here. not only are they photo-degradable, they make excellent liners for bathroom/desk/office tras cans!

Quote:

im sure you are well aware that pretty much every grocery store has a bin for your plastic bags to be recycled in, right?

ps - the 500 years it supposidly takes a plastic bag to degrade? how do they know that since plastic bags have been around for only ~50 years? guessing?

Old 02-25-2013, 08:59 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,827 posts, read 33,239,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwater heaven View Post
im sure you are well aware that pretty much every grocery store has a bin for your plastic bags to be recycled in, right?
We dutifully collect plastic bags in my household and deposit them in that bin about once a month. I suspect the percentage of households in the city who do that is low, because it is rare that I see anyone else using the bin.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:57 PM

65 posts, read 133,075 times
Quote:
We dutifully collect plastic bags in my household and deposit them in that bin about once a month. I suspect the percentage of households in the city who do that is low, because it is rare that I see anyone else using the bin.
If I buy meat or a rotisserie chicken - they bag them in plastic, so they don't leak. So I have very few. The few that I do have I take to HEB when I go grocery shopping every Sunday. I'm quite accustomed to using recyclable bags and have no problem if they do away with plastic shopping bags and/or charge for them.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:26 AM

1,955 posts, read 2,734,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwater heaven View Post
this right here. not only are they photo-degradable, they make excellent liners for bathroom/desk/office tras cans!

ps - the 500 years it supposidly takes a plastic bag to degrade? how do they know that since plastic bags have been around for only ~50 years? guessing?
*Supposedly. You figure it out using exponential decay. Come on, that's basic 8th grade science!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio