U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 08:16 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,898,364 times

Advertisements

For those who claim to never throw any plastic bags away then what do you do with the icky wet ones that had freezer stuff?

[b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
I don't know, something probably wrong with me, but I can NEVER remember to use my re-usable bags at the grocery store. Sure, they get used for other stuff but never for their intended purpose. I always end up with plastic bags... but I do re-use them, for what it's worth. We use them for all the little "wastebaskets" around the house and in the bathroom, and for cleaning the catbox, and for cleaning up after the dogs on walks. So we don't throw any of them away, at least, not until they've been re-used at least once and sometimes more than once.

My mother keeps 2 or 3 reusable bags in her truck and never buys more than 2 or 3 bags of groceries at a time since she is just one person, so maybe that is why she, while as forgetful as I am, seems to be able to remember this? My excuse is that I am shopping for five people plus cats and dogs. I would need a lot of bags for some trips and it seems the bags are always at home, never in the van.

Now on that note, I shopped recently at a local second hand store and my goods were bagged up in the coolest re-usable bag I've seen yet, made from a t-shirt. Like this:

If anyone wants an alternative. I am funny about the way things feel and I hate to touch the standard $.99 reusable bags? from HEB, they feel "gross" to me so the t-shirt bag would be my preference. If I could remember to use them!
Nice upcycling there with those T-shirts (:

Last edited by Merovee; 02-26-2013 at 08:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 05:33 PM

467 posts, read 910,685 times
Didn't anyone see all the plastic bags flying around yesterday with all that wind?...My work truck antenna was catching alot of them,...

Old 02-26-2013, 07:46 PM

70 posts, read 153,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Let's face it... We're destined to trash this earth no matter what we do. Read up on recycling programs. They're mainly cash-cows, aimed at making overly-concerned folks feel better about themselves while doing very little good. The best thing you can personally do is rewash and reuse, if possible.

While my statement is a blunt one, that's not to say I want to see earth turn into a garbage bin. Quite the contrary- but passing these silly laws, inviting more Government into our lives and layering rules on top of rules to the point of suffocating common sense seems ridiculous to me.

BN
Agreed. This is the sort of lunacy I thought I left behind when I left California. And, pace Bo's comment above, I would think it would inconvenience the poor. For one thing, paper bags are harder to carry and many poor people arrive at the grocery store via bus. In addition, it will drive up grocery prices because paper bags cost more than plastic bags and supermarkets will pass that cost to the consumer, which will hit the poor the hardest. And also poor people will have to start buying plastic bags instead of using (recycling) plastic grocery bags.

And for what? Don't we have bigger fish to fry? Is there nothing more urgent for our glorious city leaders to address?

Old 02-26-2013, 08:10 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,841,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Well They need to ban the use of Styrofoam cups, plastic food containers, aluminum cans and glass bottles. Why just pick on one litter? All these items are prevalent on our highways because certain people have no respect for the people and places around them.
I forgot about the disposable diapers, is it not disgusting to jump out of your car and almost step on some morons offsprings waste?

Old 02-26-2013, 08:13 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,355,736 times
Love how suddenly everyone cares about "the poor."
If you're so concerned about "the poor," there's a lot you can do to help besides demanding free plastic bags.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Love how suddenly everyone cares about "the poor."
If you're so concerned about "the poor," there's a lot you can do to help besides demanding free plastic bags.
Can't say I care about the poor's access to trash bags, but if I already have to buy the food that goes into their bags why should we have to pay for the bags themselves?????

Old 02-26-2013, 09:10 PM

5,622 posts, read 6,405,999 times
Quote:
Can't say I care about the poor's access to trash bags, but if I already have to buy the food that goes into their bags why should we have to pay for the bags themselves?????
It is a business expense. You are paying for the bags one way or another regardless if they are paper or plastic. If the store doesn't charge you for the bags directly, the cost will be added to the food anyways just like the price of fuel it cost to ship the food to the store.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
It is a business expense. You are paying for the bags one way or another regardless if they are paper or plastic. If the store doesn't charge you for the bags directly, the cost will be added to the food anyways just like the price of fuel it cost to ship the food to the store.
I was joking with a hint of seriousness, but if everyone starts having to get paper the expense to HEB will be a lot higher.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:05 AM

5,622 posts, read 6,405,999 times
Quote:
I was joking with a hint of seriousness, but if everyone starts having to get paper the expense to HEB will be a lot higher.
I missed the sarcasim!

It has been a long time since I had paper grocery bags, but they are reusable too, just not as trash can liners. They are much neater to store away for future use too.

I do feel bad for "the poor" that might have to carry paper bags home on the bus, espcially in the rain as some others pointed out here.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:47 PM

I wonder if the boneheads at City Hall even care....

Quote:
But the bag ban is contributing to thousands of dollars in losses for at least one Seattle grocery store, and questions have been raised about the risk of food-borne illness from reusable bags that shoppers don't often wash
Read more: Store owners say plastic bag ban causes more shoplifting - seattlepi.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio