U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2013, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX via San Antonio, TX
6,199 posts, read 8,670,080 times
Reputation: 3437

Advertisements

I just need basic dsl/cable internet. I have looked into Time Warner (and even placed an order) to find that the lite does not include wifi. I know I can "rent" the modem but I have not found anything about the router. How much extra is that? Right now it looks like the lite would be about $27 a month without the router....but will they provide that? This is 1 mbps. This price would expire in 12 months.

And ATT has a $29 a month option where i would purchase the modem/router whatever it is. This would be 1.5 mbps. Wifi is included. The $29 would increase to $41 after six months.

I'm sure some of you have these and I was looking for input as to which you would choose.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-22-2013, 01:26 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,826 posts, read 33,236,319 times
Reputation: 13617
Buying your own router would eliminate the monthly fee for wifi.

Basic routers are typically well under $100, maybe under $50 if you shop carefully. A business like Computer Nerdz can be hired to come over and set it up for you, if you don't have someone in your life who knows how.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX via San Antonio, TX
6,199 posts, read 8,670,080 times
Reputation: 3437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Buying your own router would eliminate the monthly fee for wifi.

Basic routers are typically well under $100, maybe under $50 if you shop carefully. A business like Computer Nerdz can be hired to come over and set it up for you, if you don't have someone in your life who knows how.
I don't have a problem setting it up. I'm geeky enough to do that. It's the matter of the extra things that have piled up with Time Warner versus ATT that has the wifi already but will have the price increase after a few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 04:12 PM
 
Location: San Marcos, TX
2,572 posts, read 6,580,898 times
Reputation: 4024
Do you live where you could get Grande?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX via San Antonio, TX
6,199 posts, read 8,670,080 times
Reputation: 3437
I don't think Grande was an option. They gave me phone numbers for ATT and Time Warner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 07:05 PM
 
3,157 posts, read 5,198,895 times
Reputation: 1773
A possible alternative, if you can't get Grande, and don't want AT&T or Time Warner:
Wireless Internet Plans for Home & On-The-Go | CLEAR

They have a 1.5MB download unlimited plan for $35/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX via San Antonio, TX
6,199 posts, read 8,670,080 times
Reputation: 3437
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
A possible alternative, if you can't get Grande, and don't want AT&T or Time Warner:
Wireless Internet Plans for Home & On-The-Go | CLEAR

They have a 1.5MB download unlimited plan for $35/month.
I looked into that. I'm fine with the contract that both have and Clear falls between the two price wise after ATT goes up.

Thank you for the suggestion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2013, 03:53 PM
 
1,836 posts, read 3,342,475 times
Reputation: 1735
Do not go with CLEAR. It's unreliable (had it, lived right next to one of their antennas and still hated it). Just google them and read the myriad of bad reviews, bait and switch tactic and overall terrible customer service.


Don't make the same mistake I did. Go with someone else.





BN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2013, 04:12 PM
 
Location: San Marcos, TX
2,572 posts, read 6,580,898 times
Reputation: 4024
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Do not go with CLEAR. It's unreliable (had it, lived right next to one of their antennas and still hated it). Just google them and read the myriad of bad reviews, bait and switch tactic and overall terrible customer service.


Don't make the same mistake I did. Go with someone else.





BN
Yes, I had Clear too, and did not like it. We had the little portable thing which was NOT portable at all, never worked as it was supposed to.

We have had AT&T, Clear, Grande, and TWC. Grande has been the least problematic, followed by TWC, even though the made me mad for other reasons, the internet problems were less of a problem than AT&T or Clear. AT&T was awful. This was all in one house though, sometimes I wondered if it was possible that the house was the problem.. ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2013, 08:59 AM
 
52 posts, read 80,472 times
Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I just need basic dsl/cable internet. I have looked into Time Warner (and even placed an order) to find that the lite does not include wifi. I know I can "rent" the modem but I have not found anything about the router. How much extra is that? Right now it looks like the lite would be about $27 a month without the router....but will they provide that? This is 1 mbps. This price would expire in 12 months.

And ATT has a $29 a month option where i would purchase the modem/router whatever it is. This would be 1.5 mbps. Wifi is included. The $29 would increase to $41 after six months.

I'm sure some of you have these and I was looking for input as to which you would choose.

Thanks!
uhhh.

ive been paying 19.95 for 6/1 from ATT for well over 5 years. every time my promo ends, i call up and get put on a new one. sometimes, they dont even say anything, they just put me on a new promo while im asking why my bill went up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:25 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top