U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 05:23 AM

944 posts, read 1,579,753 times

Advertisements

Hollywood Park? It's older, has lots of trees, deer, the community might be what you're looking for but no pool or community center that I know of.

Last edited by blizzrd; 02-26-2013 at 05:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 05:39 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,360,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrwilkinson View Post
My husband will be working downtown and we'd like to keep the commute as short as possible (less than a half hour at 6:30am)

We are moving to SA from out of state; a historic neighborhood where people sit out in the front yard and visit with one another. We are hoping we can find the same loving community feel in SA.

We do have young children; schools, side walks and parks are our top concerns.

Any recommendations on places we should look?
King William has some of that, but not all. Historic, large grand stately homes, sidewalks, walkable (walkable to downtown), parks, very community oriented. Our local school's dual-language program is top notch, but the English program less so (are private schools an option?). No local pool unless you count our neighbor's pool and the local tennis courts are at the high school ;-) If you're interested, check out the King William Kids page - KWAKs - King William Area Kids there's far more activity on the FB page though.

If you do consider the area, focus on KW proper (not Baja, which is much more spotty). But if you think Alamo Heights is spotty, my guess is KW will not be to your liking.

AH does have a community pool for members (anyone can join it's about $450/family/year) and nature trails. The clubhouse/pool setting is more common though in newer subdivisions, but while these may have sidewalks, don't tend to be walkable to anything other than other houses.

Last edited by Chaka; 02-26-2013 at 05:52 AM..

Old 02-26-2013, 06:06 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,755,805 times
Olmos Park does not have sidewalk correct, but walking is a given. Drove through yesterday to see several strollers and Mother-Groups walking their children.

Monte Vista has all, but tuition is a must.

Have you looked in Terrell Hills? Still no sidewalks, but street walking again is a given and expected.

Have lived in both TH and MV and never seemed concerned by the traffic. The neighbors know there are walkers and strollers and drive accordingly.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:05 AM

2,572 posts, read 6,553,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
Olmos Park does not have sidewalk correct, but walking is a given. Drove through yesterday to see several strollers and Mother-Groups walking their children.

Monte Vista has all, but tuition is a must.

Have you looked in Terrell Hills? Still no sidewalks, but street walking again is a given and expected.

Have lived in both TH and MV and never seemed concerned by the traffic. The neighbors know there are walkers and strollers and drive accordingly.
I agree for the most part, but Monte Vista seems lacking in the area of being able to meet people by sitting outside. I see three things living here. First of all, lots of friendly joggers and dog walkers (but rarely any moms or people with babies or young kids out and about and very rarely out in front of houses)... then there are the private schools, where there is of course traffic at pickup and drop off time, and then, aside from this, many of the beautiful homes seem empty/devoid of life. I mean, just really quiet and rarely do you see people outside, unless it's hired help working on the yard.

It's beautiful, just doesn't seem to be as family oriented somehow, at least not for younger kids. I have seen more mom/kid activity in Olmos Park, personally.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:23 AM

7 posts, read 7,159 times
So much information. Thanks so much.

I have looked online in most parts of the city including google maps and school reviews. In person, we have looked only at AH and I was a counselor at a camp held at Trinity years ago so I spend several summers around Monte Vista (breathtaking area). We have looked closer to Broadway in AH and then down in Terrell Hills. I don't think spotty is the best word. I mean there are some really great homes with a lot of character and those might be on the same street or one street over from a house that seems really over priced because it is an unfavorable (in my opinion)period of architecture. By that I mean, some of the great ideas of the 50's - 70's missed the mark for me a little bit (low ceilings...et al).

It is very useful to note that people walk the neighborhoods without sidewalks. Everywhere we've lived would be unsafe to walk on the street, but if it's common practice there and the drivers are vigilant I could see a reduced need to build sidewalk.

Chaka- thank you for the link, the facebook group is closed to non members but it's so great that the neighborhood has come together to make a group like that.

I suppose private schools are potentially an option, but I think a good public school would definitely be preferred. It really increases the "total cost of the home" when you have to pay private school tuition.

I really don't think a pool/tennis etc is vital- I just thought it might be a good way to meet people an get involved in the community.

We just want good "salt of the earth" people who are kind, welcoming and not competitive with re: to wealth. So far it seems like we need to live near all of you!

Thanks so much for the feed back. I'd love to hear more ideas if you think of something; we will visit more of these areas on our next trip.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:28 AM

7 posts, read 7,159 times
Sally! Thanks for the confirmation.

It sounds like Olmos Park should move towards the top of the list.

That Olmos Basin Park seems like a really great park from what I've read on yelp etc.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:31 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,360,469 times
The Northwoods area schools are supposed to be highly regarded, and the area around there (roughly, inside 410, between Nacogdoches and Harry Wurzbach) is very nice and easy car access to shops and restaurants. But our friends who moved there because everyone said the schools were so great ended up moving their kids to private school because they were unhappy with the schools - but their issues relate to all public schools in Texas, so if testing is important to you, then it may be fine. These friends love the area but will likely move to King William soon since the only reason they moved there was for the school. Just one case, I'm sure most love it as it's highly regarded and the area is beautiful.

I think finding ALL you want in one area will be a challenge. Most of the architecturally interesting properties are going to be in older/historic areas, which are not likely to have the things of new subdivisions like pools/clubhouses, and there is likely to be a mix of housing stock from high end to lower end.

The Dominion (and Shavano Park and Hollywood Hills) as well as a few other places into the Hill Country will have your communities with only high end properties, gated, pool, tennis, etc, but they're new and less likely to be architecturally exciting unless you custom build (even then, I've seen so many "custom" homes that look like every other home...)

If your desire is to be where people are not concerned about wealth, you're probably better off in a neighborhood that is mixed than one that is all high end. That said, I know very very few people in San Antonio who care much about wealth or are competitive about it, even the few whom I know with $1M houses (don't think I know anyone with anything more than that). I am sure such types exist in town, but it doesn't seem hard to avoid such attitudes if that's how you are.

I would highly recommend you rent for awhile first. You'll get a very different feel for the city after you've been here for awhile.

If I had up to $2M to spend on a house in San Antonio, I'd spend $1M on a large house in King William, use $50K to put in a pool and use the rest for private school (if I didn't want to use the local public school), and invite all my neighbors over . We don't have a $1M house and we don't have an in ground pool, but we do invite all our neighbors over and have made friends. ;-)

Remember we don't have income taxes, we rely on property taxes, so if you invest more in a home, you'll be paying much more in taxes. If you spend less on your home you can use the tax savings to pay for school. I'm partial to KW, because I prefer older historic neighborhoods with a strong community feel and lots of walkability. There are other areas I like a lot (there's a little nook in the Medical area - Horizon Hills - with some spectacular properties, some spots in Castle Hills and some parts of Alamo Heights and Olmos Park and of course, Monte Vista), but my priorities are walkability and community and for the most part, we like our dual language public school to which my kids can walk. There is a mix of housing, though, and you'll see some really sketchy places amidst the $2M homes, so it's not for everyone, but that's part of being "salt of the earth." We love our poor neighbors as well as our rich neighbors ;-)

Last edited by Chaka; 02-26-2013 at 01:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or