Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 10:32 AM

137 posts, read 278,800 times

Advertisements

We have finally decided on where we want to move. Kerrville has a store husband can transfer, or several in San Antonio. It depends which one opens as far as timing goes.

After reading the entire forum on a Kerrville search, there is still no sense of what it is like to live there.

Does it flood with shoppers everyday that come in from the Hill Country? How does that bloat the population of around 50k? It seems to have a lot of shopping, so we wondered if it has a large draw.

Is it a compressed enough area where one could walk or ride their bike to most things? Places like the library, grocery store, river, parks? If more spread out, could one do very well on a scooter most of the time? (I'm the one with the fantasy of getting around by scooter), of course I'd never do such a thing in S.A.

Are there a lot of people out in nature, or do you feel kind of alone at the park or river?

Does it feel like a peaceful friendly place, like is it still small enough that businesses you frequent know you, even some shoppers you see around? We have never lived in such a small population before. How Mayberry is it?

If you live there now, where would someone new find a best bet in an apartment that is near to library, grocery, park etc?

We are empty nesters so dont need school advice, but we are wondering on the liberal arts school, if that is a real anchor to the community with lots of classes to take for the mature of age.

Sorry to say but I may think of even more questions later!

Thank you for taking the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 01:11 PM

232 posts, read 379,819 times
Its a great place to live. My mother-in-law lives there and we love going up when we get a chance. Me and the Mrs are planning to retire up there, when the time comes. You do have to deal with more freezes up there because the temps run about 10 degrees lower than here in SA. They have most major stores but you may have to make a trip back to SA from time to time for some stores.

You should plan a long weekend trip up there to check it out.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:25 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,555,421 times
It's a nice small town, but I think you'd have better luck getting around on foot/scooter in San Antonio. The center of town of Kerrville is cute and charming, but there isn't that much there. You'd have to get on a car to get to most places. Doable if you lived near the center, and there are some nice areas there, but the main roads would scare the heck out of me if I was on a scooter or bike. The river is indeed lovely, and lots of outdoor stuff near there.

I used to work there but commuted from downtown San Antonio.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:50 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times
Kerrville can be a pleasant, sleepy little town but there really isn't all that much to do there in comparison to San Antonio or Austin. A city will simply have more options than Kerrville.

On a personal note, I wouldn't purchase anything from Kerrville businesses because when I went to the chicken wing place on the main drag, they were extremely rude to me for no reason before I even opened my mouth to order any food. It just left me with a negative image of the whole place.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:00 PM

74 posts, read 175,160 times
We lived in Kerrville for 4 years and purchased property for our future retirement. I love Kerrville. The people there are VERY friendly and helpful. They have very nice city parks that get busy but not crowed on the weekends. You most definitely can get around on a scooter, but it is too spread out to get places by foot. The shopping there is limited to a couple of name brand stores and a handful of mom and pop stores. There is a movie theater, bowling alley, city pool, and the schools are very good. The weather is very pleasant year round. That said, the cost of living is a little higher then San Antonio and the pay is a little less.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:49 AM

137 posts, read 278,800 times
The OP here. So Kerrville isn't a whole lot of life and fun unless you are retired is what I am understanding here.

Chaka, where would you feel in San Antonio are places that you could do a majority of your days by scooter AND feel safe? I figured a smaller town would be safe but you pointed out that no way is it that in Kerrville.

Thanks for all the posts

Old 02-28-2013, 07:02 AM

6,706 posts, read 8,776,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TULSA2ABQ View Post
The OP here. So Kerrville isn't a whole lot of life and fun unless you are retired is what I am understanding here.

Chaka, where would you feel in San Antonio are places that you could do a majority of your days by scooter AND feel safe? I figured a smaller town would be safe but you pointed out that no way is it that in Kerrville.

Thanks for all the posts
Kerrville isn't that great for younger people. My sister just moved out there this month and she has said it is pretty boring but hasn't really told me why. I haven't had the chande yet to go out there and see her.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:14 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
We have finally decided on where we want to move. Kerrville has a store husband can transfer, or several in San Antonio. It depends which one opens as far as timing goes.

After reading the entire forum on a Kerrville search, there is still no sense of what it is like to live there.

Thank you for taking the time.
There are 45 threads which have the word Kerrville in the title of all of the Texas forum. Here are some of the larger seven I picked out:
Is Kerrville the town for us?
Coming to Kerrville for work? Forget it! NO GOOD JOBS IN KERRVILLE
question about Kerrville
Kerrville prejudices toward non-native TXns?
Moving to Kerrville,TX
Kerrville for families?
Moving to Kerrville
Hope that helps.

I have driven through a few times on the way to San Antonio from ABQ. I know we have stopped there to eat, gas up etc. Just seemed like a nice small town while passing trough on I-10...

Rich

Old 02-28-2013, 12:53 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,555,421 times
Quote:

Well, others here clearly feel different. But having walked around "downtown" Kerrville, there's limited places to walk. And then everything else is off on the major roads. Now, I road a small motorbike (bigger than a scooter) in Thailand, but I really wouldn't feel comfortable on the major roads in and around Kerrville. People just aren't looking for them.

In San Antonio - anywhere in and around downtown, to include: Southtown/So Flo, near north (Tobin Hill, Alta Vista, Monte Vista etc) up to midtown. I prefer cycling but scooters would work, and I see them around often. I wouldn't ride one in the suburbs outside of a subdivision.

Kerrville is a nice enough town. But I wouldn't want to live there.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:56 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
Kerrville has a Gibson's, what else could you want or need?!?

Seriously, we love visiting Kerrville (James Avery is headquartered there) but if we lived there I suspect we'd be driving to San Antonio at least once or twice a week.

If you want something more rural but closer to SA, check out Boerne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio