U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 10:33 AM

20 posts, read 28,404 times

Advertisements

This may be a silly question, but is kindergarten free and all day in San Antonio? In Portland, where we're currently living, kindergarten is not free.

Thanks,
M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 11:08 AM

816 posts, read 1,474,517 times
Short answer: it is free, and I believe it is all day. At my kid's school (a private elementary), the official school day ends at 3:30-4:00, and then "after-school care" (a separate charge) begins. The public schools may have arrangements with other entities (YMCA, etc.), or they may provide it "in-house". I would suggest calling the school district's office (we have many in San Antonio, but the major ones are NISD, NEISD, AHISD, and SAISD) and asking them directly.

One interesting fact is that Texas does not REQUIRE kids to enroll in kindergarten.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:19 AM

309 posts, read 462,912 times
Yes, it's "free" (you're paying property taxes for it!) and considered all day. In the Boerne school district (I'll recommend this and Alamo Heights as the two best in the San Antonio area), kindergarten runs from 7:30 to 2:30 each weekday or something close to those times.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:36 AM

20 posts, read 28,404 times
Great! Thanks for the quick replies. We are moving to SA this summer and my daughter will be of kindergarten age. And thanks for the school district recommendations. We haven't decided where we will be living so knowing about the school districts will really help in the relocation process!

Old 02-27-2013, 12:51 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,172,603 times
In NISD it is free, the day starts at 7:45 and ends at 2:45.
We put our son on the bus at around 6:40 and he gets off at around 3:15. This will of course vary wildly depending on where you live but I thought I would give you an idea.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:22 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,355,736 times
SAISD, currently free and full day 8:10-3:10, though there was talk in the past year of cutting Kinder down to half day, it hasn't happened.

And just in case anyone outside TX is wondering, kids must be 5 by Sept 1. No exceptions unless they can test at a 3rd grade level. So even if your kid turns 5 on Sept 2 and is already reading like a 1st grader, they can't start.... Saying that mostly for the Californians, where most districts have a cut off date in December.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:22 PM

11,140 posts, read 20,313,684 times
We're in NISD also. Kindergarten is free and some schools, like the one that my daughter goes to, offer a free or low cost afterschool program called the Learning Tree that lasts from 2:45 when school gets out, until 5:30 (I think). I have neighbors whose children go to it free and they are not required to qualify by income.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:35 PM

309 posts, read 462,912 times
You may want to let people on this forum know what area of town you will be working in. The Northeast and Northside districts have great schools within them as well, so depending on the area of town you need to be in, people here can make recommendations on areas to live. As I said, both Alamo Heights and Boerne have excellent school districts and are relatively small compared to the larger districts I mentioned. Alamo Heights offers a great in-town more urban feel to the community while Boerne offers a historic, main street oriented community with options to live near the town in a more surburban to rural setting. I'm a fan of both areas, but happen to live in Boerne and love it. The town itself is very walkable with lots of amenities, clearly unique (not cookie cutter) and not too far of a commute into San Antonio.

Good luck with your move and your search for a new home!

Old 02-27-2013, 03:45 PM

37 posts, read 78,884 times
Ok, I have a related question. Do any of the school districts charge for school bussing? I live out in California, and am waiting on orders to PCS to Fort Sam Houston. Out here, we have to pay about $50 a month for our kids to ride the bus to school.
Thanks,
Alan

Old 02-27-2013, 04:10 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,355,736 times
I don't think SAISD charges, but you have to live within certain boundaries. For example, we live too close to the school for the bus. I think it's >1.5 miles, but am not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio