U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-27-2013, 05:42 PM
 
Location: San Marcos, TX
2,572 posts, read 6,544,822 times
Reputation: 4022

Advertisements

Too much specific details needed to give it a clear title. Sorry.

I need to make a LOT of money this summer to fund a move and cover school costs that are no longer going to be covered for me. Long story which I am very stressed about but I will spare y'all. Anyway I am a full time student (about a year and a semester away from my BA) and I work from home (eBay and similar) but I need to ramp it up this summer and add to what I already make in a big way.

I thought about Pizza delivery. My spouse did that for a while and made great money but that was a few years ago, gas prices were lower, and we had an expendable beater/second car. I don't know if it would be a good idea now with gas prices the way they are and only one car that we'd like to keep for a while and not wear down.

So, any other ideas? I'm not good at sales. I am way older than the average student. I've never waited tables mainly because I am introverted and a little klutzy. I have experience in child care (generally pays poorly), clerical, customer service, data entry, general office stuff but I am open to whatever I can get that provides the most bang for the buck, so to speak. As soon as the semester is over in May I am willing to work sixty hour weeks all summer so I can meet my goal.

To be clear: jobs that normally hire rather quickly, and don't require a ton of specific experience or a degree. Since I don't have that yet. Call centers are fine. Retail. Anything is fine, I was hoping someone knows who pays better... like for example, Buc-ee's out in NB has a starting wage of $11 an hour. Unfortunately I am trying to lessen my commute/driving time in my older vehicle but you get the idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2013, 05:53 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
8,400 posts, read 20,101,486 times
Reputation: 4435
I think Rudy's BBQ is hiring at $12/hr or something like that. Contact them at: Browse Employment Opportunities With Rudy's Country BBQ

Otherwise, I don't think you can expect high wages for low experience unless you chose a profession that is probably morally challenging...

Good luck with your search, but remember that San Antonio is a heavy service-industry town, so there is a large low-skill but usually experienced labor force that you'll be competing with. Everyone wants to make a fast, easy buck but rarely is it possible...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2013, 06:06 PM
 
152 posts, read 466,064 times
Reputation: 117
Post office is in the middle of a BIG hiring blitz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2013, 06:10 PM
 
Location: San Marcos, TX
2,572 posts, read 6,544,822 times
Reputation: 4022
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I think Rudy's BBQ is hiring at $12/hr or something like that. Contact them at: Browse Employment Opportunities With Rudy's Country BBQ

Otherwise, I don't think you can expect high wages for low experience unless you chose a profession that is probably morally challenging...

Good luck with your search, but remember that San Antonio is a heavy service-industry town, so there is a large low-skill but usually experienced labor force that you'll be competing with. Everyone wants to make a fast, easy buck but rarely is it possible...
Thanks. Even $10 an hour beats minimum wage. Especially if I work two jobs at around that. As for the morally challenging options, I'm too old for that even if I were willing. I have a bunch of office experience and I remember, from chit chat at my last temp job, that some call center type places pay a lot more than others but I can't remember who pays what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoosh1958 View Post
Post office is in the middle of a BIG hiring blitz.
Thanks! I will check that out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2013, 06:21 PM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston
37,659 posts, read 55,343,583 times
Reputation: 89067
I heard that getting a job at Post Office is extremely difficult. The tests are brutal and you need to study hard for it.

I don't see any job openings for San Antonio:
http://about.usps.com/careers/welcome.htm
__________________
.
"No Copyrighted Material"
Moderated forums:
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums
.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 02-27-2013 at 06:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2013, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX via San Antonio, TX
6,134 posts, read 8,592,545 times
Reputation: 3374
Any in bound call center would be good. I made $10/hr at west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2013, 09:10 AM
 
283 posts, read 817,697 times
Reputation: 132
I've heard car valets make pretty good money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2013, 10:15 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
4,149 posts, read 9,302,475 times
Reputation: 3308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Too much specific details needed to give it a clear title. Sorry.

I need to make a LOT of money this summer to fund a move and cover school costs that are no longer going to be covered for me. Long story which I am very stressed about but I will spare y'all. Anyway I am a full time student (about a year and a semester away from my BA) and I work from home (eBay and similar) but I need to ramp it up this summer and add to what I already make in a big way.

I thought about Pizza delivery. My spouse did that for a while and made great money but that was a few years ago, gas prices were lower, and we had an expendable beater/second car. I don't know if it would be a good idea now with gas prices the way they are and only one car that we'd like to keep for a while and not wear down.

So, any other ideas? I'm not good at sales. I am way older than the average student. I've never waited tables mainly because I am introverted and a little klutzy. I have experience in child care (generally pays poorly), clerical, customer service, data entry, general office stuff but I am open to whatever I can get that provides the most bang for the buck, so to speak. As soon as the semester is over in May I am willing to work sixty hour weeks all summer so I can meet my goal.

To be clear: jobs that normally hire rather quickly, and don't require a ton of specific experience or a degree. Since I don't have that yet. Call centers are fine. Retail. Anything is fine, I was hoping someone knows who pays better... like for example, Buc-ee's out in NB has a starting wage of $11 an hour. Unfortunately I am trying to lessen my commute/driving time in my older vehicle but you get the idea.
While you said you're klutzy, you're still going to get the most bang for your buck waiting tables or bartending. Honestly, I attribute a TON of my success in life to that time in my life. You learn how to deal with all types of people, sell, prioritize and work under pressure. I learned a lot of lessons that I'm able to apply even to this day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2013, 03:09 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
4,149 posts, read 9,302,475 times
Reputation: 3308
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post

Otherwise, I don't think you can expect high wages for low experience unless you chose a profession that is probably morally challenging...
Have to agree with this. Nothing to do with the OP's situation, because I don't know them personally, but the country as a whole has gotten to a point where they expect to be paid more than minimum wage when they only bring minimum talent to the table.

Minimum wage is meant to be a spring board to learning a skill and then EARNING more because someone thinks you're worth it. I think that employers should battle the constant push for a higher minimum wage by demanding a "minimum talent level".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2013, 04:30 PM
 
Location: San Quilmas, Tx
4,080 posts, read 6,082,817 times
Reputation: 9121
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoosh1958 View Post
Post office is in the middle of a BIG hiring blitz.
Better re-check your source there ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:05 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top