Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 08:32 PM

6,691 posts, read 8,701,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
I don't know. At Pride last week, the place was mobbed, I mean MOBBED. Ten years ago, it was a ghetto ghost town. I would have never predicted the unity and support I saw last week. I was floored. I really was.
Pride itself isn't a really good measurement of what SA gay area is like any other day of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 09:47 PM

448 posts, read 914,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Pride itself isn't a really good measurement of what SA gay area is like any other day of the year.
Please enlighten us what a good measurement would be?

Old 07-15-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
Please enlighten us what a good measurement would be?
Montrose, Oaklawn, etc. What SA has doesn't even come close. As another poster put it, we simply have a small cluster of bars and most are owned by one person.

But yeah...keep telling yourself that SA has a vibrant and active gay community that thrives from day to day and not just on major event days like Pride / Fiesta / Etc.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:05 PM

448 posts, read 914,937 times
Quote:
Montrose, Oaklawn, etc. What SA has doesn't even come close. As another poster put it, we simply have a small cluster of bars and most are owned by one person.

But yeah...keep telling yourself that SA has a vibrant and active gay community that thrives from day to day and not just on major event days like Pride / Fiesta / Etc.

Montrose and Oaklawn didn't happen overnight. SA gay community is on the right track with several Tobin Hill areas being developed. And there's also more than two events that occur along gay strip....

As for the one business owner comment, so what? That's no different from the owner in the Dallas scene.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:49 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,512,141 times
Quote:

I think in SA, the gay community is diverse and dynamic. They're not defined by a neighborhood or collection of hot spots. An event like PRIDE brings people together in one place to celebrate, but on any given day, the "community" is active throughout the city. "" because it's not one cohesive block. It's a community that's defined by who they are, not one block of people that rove around the city together.

When I was first living in Southtown, an out of town friend quipped, "Do you have to be gay to live here?" because most of the people she met in my neighborhood were LGBT. That's less so now, as more people have moved into the area.

SA's gay community isn't limited to one area, and it's not limited to a specific population (i.e. young single hanging out at bars). Many LGBT families are spread throughout the city. I find that folks cluster together for events, but otherwise go about their daily lives. I've met many folks through political events, as that's where LGBT folks will come together for a common cause. Otherwise, we meet as fellow parents at schools or birthday parties or the museum or the pool, or as art aficionados at gallery openings, or at community fundraisers for other causes, or at book clubs, or whatever other activity we do. Because I'm a parent I tend to meet other parents, or middle aged married LGBT couples, though have a few younger, single LGBT friends with whom I socialize.

I think you're correct in saying there's not one area of town where all the gay people live and party. There are, however, various activities and organizations where the LGBT community congregates. And right now, with rights being attacked by the state, the political groups are strongly active and organized.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:00 PM

4,423 posts, read 5,295,758 times
FYI Montrose is not a gay area anymore. Most cities are loosing their gayborhoods because it is now excepted and gays can live and feel safe and excepted anywhere. I go to Houston at least month and the bar scene is better, way better, but the gay scene here is thriving.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
FYI Montrose is not a gay area anymore. Most cities are loosing their gayborhoods because it is now excepted and gays can live and feel safe and excepted anywhere. I go to Houston at least month and the bar scene is better, way better, but the gay scene here is thriving.
It has been a couple of years since I have been in the Montrose area but I don't doubt what you are saying above. 10-15 years ago was a different story though.

Old 07-16-2017, 07:12 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,512,141 times
Quote:
It has been a couple of years since I have been in the Montrose area but I don't doubt what you are saying above. 10-15 years ago was a different story though.
And 10-15 years ago Southtown was the "gayborhood" - people partied on Main and lived in Southtown. Hence my comment before from an out of town friend. Now, it's completely mixed.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:21 PM

1,022 posts, read 856,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
As for the one business owner comment, so what? That's no different from the owner in the Dallas scene.
Caven is a group of investors, not one singular person. While it may have started with Frank Caven, it's expanded quietly to a wealthy group of gay and straight people who all have ownership in the Cedar Springs strip.

San Antonio is admittedly far behind the times in creating upscale, open, beautiful gay bars that celebrate the community versus make you feel like you're hiding out. Nothing at all like what Dallas has, in terms of scope, money or design... And that's a function of having one man control the scene, make a ton of profit and spend very little of it reinvesting in the community.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
And 10-15 years ago Southtown was the "gayborhood" - people partied on Main and lived in Southtown. Hence my comment before from an out of town friend. Now, it's completely mixed.
While you may be right, I have never heard of Southtown being the local "gayborhood". This is coming from someone who is gay and has been in San Antonio for a very long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio