U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-02-2013, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
12,116 posts, read 10,245,532 times
Reputation: 32967

Advertisements

Just a bit of extra info out us. We liked Albuquerque the most out of the 3 places we lived. More laid back and slower paced. We are home bodies and family oriented. We like doing outdoorsy stuff like biking and hiking and exploring our surroundings. The hustle and bustle of LA and Orlando was/is definitely not for us. Heat and humidity do not bother us as all the places we have lived all have heat and Orlando has extreme humidity.

Does San Antonio sound like a good fit for us?

And I do have some additional questions about the weather. I do miss the thunderstorms and rain in Orlando. Does it storm in San Antonio and whats the rain like compared to LA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-02-2013, 06:40 PM
 
Location: San Antonio TX
381 posts, read 662,684 times
Reputation: 228
I have lived in Miami (miss the beaches) before and los Angeles. I moved to SA in June 2011 and it was incredibly hot! I know that it's a personal opinion, but the heat that I feel here feels hotter than in Miami or LA. Luckily, things have cooled down since 2011, and last summer it was much cooler. I was able to buy a brand new 3bdr 2 bathroom 1556 Sq ft brand new home for $170k in less than a year close to Alamo Ranch, which is considered a good area by most. Traffic is not bad, but the drivers suck more than anywhere that I have ever lived!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2013, 06:41 PM
 
166 posts, read 525,036 times
Reputation: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
And I do have some additional questions about the weather. I do miss the thunderstorms and rain in Orlando. Does it storm in San Antonio and whats the rain like compared to LA?

Rain. What's rain? It doesn't rain here very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2013, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
12,116 posts, read 10,245,532 times
Reputation: 32967
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadStreet/PattisonAve View Post
Rain. What's rain? It doesn't rain here very much.
Yeah I read on here it doesn't rain much but weather.com said SA averages 30" per year and LA averages 11"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2013, 07:03 PM
 
Location: San Antonio. Tx 78209
2,651 posts, read 6,505,752 times
Reputation: 1735
It does rain in San Antonio, way more than LA. Winter brings showers, spring and fall have storms sometimes severe and quick moving, but not tornatic. Summer is dry and long, sometimes with popup showers and storms. If the Texas coast gets hit with a hurricane or other tropical system usually San Antonio will get heavy rain and 40 mph winds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2013, 07:29 PM
 
340 posts, read 501,486 times
Reputation: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Yeah I read on here it doesn't rain much but weather.com said SA averages 30" per year and LA averages 11"
It rains. Don't believe anyone who says it doesn't.

Rain in SA usually happens with a big rain event, usually a thunderstorm. We get a good thunderstorm everyone once and a while during spring and summer. Not so much during fall and winter. But it does rain during those months but nothing major.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2013, 07:30 PM
 
340 posts, read 501,486 times
Reputation: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by en28so View Post
I have lived in Miami (miss the beaches) before and los Angeles. I moved to SA in June 2011 and it was incredibly hot! I know that it's a personal opinion, but the heat that I feel here feels hotter than in Miami or LA. Luckily, things have cooled down since 2011, and last summer it was much cooler. I was able to buy a brand new 3bdr 2 bathroom 1556 Sq ft brand new home for $170k in less than a year close to Alamo Ranch, which is considered a good area by most. Traffic is not bad, but the drivers suck more than anywhere that I have ever lived!
I believe 2011 was one of the hottest summers on record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2013, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Texas
2,847 posts, read 1,949,598 times
Reputation: 1747
Average Relative Humidity:
San Antonio Relative Humidity (Morning) 83%
San Antonio Relative Humidity (Afternoon) 57%

Relative Humidity by Month (Percentage)
Morning
Jan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May. Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.

80% 80% 79% 82% 87% 88% 86% 85% 85% 84% 81% 80%


Afternoon

60% 58% 56% 58% 61% 59% 54% 53% 56% 56% 58% 59%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2013, 09:16 PM
 
Location: San Marcos, TX
2,572 posts, read 6,547,025 times
Reputation: 4022
Also, don't believe anyone who tells you that it's not "that hot" here in summer or that you'll "get used to it" or any of that other nonsense.

Maybe you WILL get used to it. Some do. Some love it. I have never acclimated and I have been in this town for 28 years! I grew up in South Texas, along the coast. I've lived in the Houston area too. I've spent many months (summers) in Florida. San Antonio summers have been just as awful, in my opinion, as Florida and Houston. Only the time spent in my earlier years near Corpus seemed marginally better due to a constant coastal breeze. I don't think I will ever get used to it. If it went on for just 3 months, then maybe I could. I was actually more comfortable in New Orleans in summer, walking around all day, than I am here, because at least there were daily summer showers. We don't get rain for months on end. We do get rain, just not when you are wishing and hoping and praying for it.

I don't want to be negative, but I just see the heat/summer issue "glossed over" a lot on the SA CD forum. You may decide you are fine with this and that there's plenty to outweigh the weather issue, and that's great, and if so, welcome!! I just wanted to give an honest perspective though from someone who is pretty miserable here for more than half the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2013, 12:42 AM
 
340 posts, read 501,486 times
Reputation: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Also, don't believe anyone who tells you that it's not "that hot" here in summer or that you'll "get used to it" or any of that other nonsense.

Maybe you WILL get used to it. Some do. Some love it. I have never acclimated and I have been in this town for 28 years! I grew up in South Texas, along the coast. I've lived in the Houston area too. I've spent many months (summers) in Florida. San Antonio summers have been just as awful, in my opinion, as Florida and Houston. Only the time spent in my earlier years near Corpus seemed marginally better due to a constant coastal breeze. I don't think I will ever get used to it. If it went on for just 3 months, then maybe I could. I was actually more comfortable in New Orleans in summer, walking around all day, than I am here, because at least there were daily summer showers. We don't get rain for months on end. We do get rain, just not when you are wishing and hoping and praying for it.

I don't want to be negative, but I just see the heat/summer issue "glossed over" a lot on the SA CD forum. You may decide you are fine with this and that there's plenty to outweigh the weather issue, and that's great, and if so, welcome!! I just wanted to give an honest perspective though from someone who is pretty miserable here for more than half the year.
Wait, how can you tell him not to believe that "nonsense", which I can assume personal opinion based beliefs but instead to believe your personal opinion based belief.

You saying it does get "that hot" or they won't "get used to it" is the same thing that you're discounting except it's on the other end of the spectrum. One that you personally believe.

Sorry, in my opinion, there's no need to discredit anyone else's opinion just because it doesn't correspond with your own. They have just as much right to express it as you do. Just state your opinion without the pretense that anyone of the opposite shouldn't be believed because you're basically telling him or her, you shouldn't be believed either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:48 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top