Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 11:19 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times

Advertisements

So for the past almost week I have been suffering some of the WORST allergies I have ever lived with here in SA, so much so that I got a steroid burst on Friday by my Dr. Was suppose to hold me "a couple of days", less than 24 hours later I was back to constant sneezing and runny nose.

Changed my OTC allergy med yesterday to Allegra 24 hour and all of a sudden this morning, I am feeling a lot less congested! Have actually opened up the windows and not running the air purifier 24/7.

Is it the change in medication, or has anyone else that has been suffering this past week suddendly find it much better these past few hours (fingers crossed for ANYONE suffering like I have been these past few days)???

It seems that even tho the pollen count his higher today, I am doing better so I am not sure if it is the medications or the shift in the allergen...

Anyone felling the difference????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 03:16 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,517,717 times
hello paka,
same development, same problems here. I think some of the problem in all the dirt work at the top of Del Webb Blvd. Cutting and chipping trees and moving a lot of dirt around and it looks like it will continue for several months.
Fun isn't it.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinsa View Post
hello paka,
same development, same problems here. I think some of the problem in all the dirt work at the top of del webb blvd. Cutting and chipping trees and moving a lot of dirt around and it looks like it will continue for several months.
Fun isn't it.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:27 PM

62 posts, read 110,753 times
It's not you, Paka...this is year four for us in SA and we are miserable; especially me. Eyes draining constantly; I feel like when I go out, I'm coated in "dust" or something...on my glasses, skin. Never remember this before. Itchy ears, sneezing, headache. We're in W Hills, by the way, but been helping family over by you and I was miserable there, too. What the heck? Flonase and Claritin usually do it, but not this year.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cramowheat View Post
It's not you, Paka...this is year four for us in SA and we are miserable; especially me. Eyes draining constantly; I feel like when I go out, I'm coated in "dust" or something...on my glasses, skin. Never remember this before. Itchy ears, sneezing, headache. We're in W Hills, by the way, but been helping family over by you and I was miserable there, too. What the heck? Flonase and Claritin usually do it, but not this year.

Sorry to hear others are suffering as badly...I changed yesterday to the Costco brand of Allegra-D...it seems to be helping today. Sure hope you are feeling better soon (cause it will mean I am too!)

Old 03-03-2013, 06:08 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
The wife and I used to have sinus infections so bad we just about had a standing order for antibiotics at the pharmacy. I got tired of the situation and we no longer have the pollen trap carpet in the house. It took me a year but I've managed to rip all of it out and we now have great looking ceramic tile. I did the work myself so cost wasn't cheap but it was cheap enough. WE haven't had sinus since. That's probably not an option for you but before I would have the carpets wet cleaned and usually the issue went away for a while- might give that a try. Carpet is the absolute worst thing you can have in a house if you have sinus issues. You track it in with your shoes and as it builds up in the carpet fiber, when you walk on it the clouds of pollen rise with each footstep. Not at my house ever again. And yes, we vacuumed daily. The wife used a Kirby that would suck the chrome off of a front bumper.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
The wife and I used to have sinus infections so bad we just about had a standing order for antibiotics at the pharmacy. I got tired of the situation and we no longer have the pollen trap carpet in the house. It took me a year but I've managed to rip all of it out and we now have great looking ceramic tile. I did the work myself so cost wasn't cheap but it was cheap enough. WE haven't had sinus since. That's probably not an option for you but before I would have the carpets wet cleaned and usually the issue went away for a while- might give that a try. Carpet is the absolute worst thing you can have in a house if you have sinus issues. You track it in with your shoes and as it builds up in the carpet fiber, when you walk on it the clouds of pollen rise with each footstep. Not at my house ever again. And yes, we vacuumed daily. The wife used a Kirby that would suck the chrome off of a front bumper.
Thanks Trapper...appreciate the advice and it might help someone esle, but we have wood and tile for the entire home...so that isn't our issue. I agree tho, it is much, much better not to have carpet.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:50 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
Paka, assuming you live in a house and have access to the A/C filters, spray the filter with Armorall. You don't have to wet it, just a light spray. The plasticiser in Armorall stays tacky and as the A/C runs the filter will attract and hold more pollen. The cheap fiberglas filters work best for this and change them monthly. I assume you dust mop the wood and tile floors. You can buy a professional grade dust enhancer on the dust mop head or you can use a light spray of WD-40 and give it a few minutes after spraying to spread in the cotton fibers of the dry mop. I usually start at a closet when I use the WD-40 as the first little you use it will cause the floor to be slick for about an hour. But usually we don't walk in the closet I start with so it's not an issue. Might want to entertain a portable electronic air filter. I'm not talking about a HEPA filter cleaner but a cleanable electronic unit. They make them to handle several thousand sq ft but they aren't a cheap date. Might wanna search the net for a portable electronic air cleaner. I have an old Honeywell unit that just about has eliminated dusting the house so it has great side effects. The filter is electronic and all I have to do is wash it out with a hose, blow the water off of it and put it back in the unit. On low speed you can't hear it run. The fan size is about 8" and moves quite a lot of air on low.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Paka, assuming you live in a house and have access to the A/C filters, spray the filter with Armorall. You don't have to wet it, just a light spray. The plasticiser in Armorall stays tacky and as the A/C runs the filter will attract and hold more pollen. The cheap fiberglas filters work best for this and change them monthly. I assume you dust mop the wood and tile floors. You can buy a professional grade dust enhancer on the dust mop head or you can use a light spray of WD-40 and give it a few minutes after spraying to spread in the cotton fibers of the dry mop. I usually start at a closet when I use the WD-40 as the first little you use it will cause the floor to be slick for about an hour. But usually we don't walk in the closet I start with so it's not an issue. Might want to entertain a portable electronic air filter. I'm not talking about a HEPA filter cleaner but a cleanable electronic unit. They make them to handle several thousand sq ft but they aren't a cheap date. Might wanna search the net for a portable electronic air cleaner. I have an old Honeywell unit that just about has eliminated dusting the house so it has great side effects. The filter is electronic and all I have to do is wash it out with a hose, blow the water off of it and put it back in the unit. On low speed you can't hear it run. The fan size is about 8" and moves quite a lot of air on low.
Thanks...we actually have a hepa filter and buy hospital grade A/C filters that get changed every month as well....wehave the old, round Honeywell unil as well.....this is just NOT my year for allergies....

Old 03-04-2013, 06:59 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,877,109 times
Quote:
For allergies nothing is better than a Míele Capricorn. It will pick up what your Kirby can't.

I recommend Powell Vacuum & Allergy if you are interested in purchasing or just letting their demo wow you!!!

Best vacuum we ever had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio