Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 01:22 PM

24 posts, read 33,215 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

New set of questions, so I'm starting a new thread. I was wondering if there are any obvious do's and don't's for what to get or not get in a home in SA. For instance:

1. pool or no pool?
2. one- or two-story?
3. wood deck or cement pad deck or something else?
4. attached garage or not?
5. newly built home or rennovated old home?
6. Brick or siding?
7. etc...

Is there anything obvious that we should avoid at all costs based on personal experience?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 01:35 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
I think all of those things are personal preference.

Re #1 - know that pools don't always increase resale value (and in some cases decrease it). Black bottom pools are very popular these days, but in full sun in Texas summers = bath tub water or worse. All our friends' pools with black bottoms are too warm to swim in during the heat of the day in summer and only moderately better after 6pm. We still do ;-), but they're anything but refreshing. It doesn't get cool enough at night to cool them off. Otherwise, having a pool is just a personal preference.

Clarification: I am not sure if this is also true in the Hill Country, where it is typically a bit cooler at night. it's definitely true in and around downtown and far west side (where my friends with pools live ;-))

Last edited by Chaka; 03-04-2013 at 01:46 PM..

Old 03-04-2013, 01:41 PM

24 posts, read 33,215 times
Thanks, that's good to know about the black bottom pools...I wouldn't have thought of that. I'm not sure if we'll get a pool because of the hassle and expense, but I would use it all the time if we do, so it might be worth it to us. What percentage of homes have a pool in SA?

I've heard the second stories get hotter than the first floor. Is that true? I think I'd want to avoid that...

Thanks!

Old 03-04-2013, 01:53 PM

6,706 posts, read 8,775,152 times
I have a pool with black pebble tec. I never had any issues with the water being like warm bath water and most of the pool is in direct sunlight. I live in the medical center, not out in the hill country.

The only issue I have had with the dark colored bottom is that it attracts snakes. I have found a few snakes in the pool.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
I have a pool with black pebble tec. I never had any issues with the water being like warm bath water and most of the pool is in direct sunlight. I live in the medical center, not out in the hill country.

The only issue I have had with the dark colored bottom is that it attracts snakes. I have found a few snakes in the pool.
Lucky you! Maybe the Med Center cools down more at night than I thought!

Old 03-04-2013, 02:27 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNHL View Post
Hi Everyone,

New set of questions, so I'm starting a new thread. I was wondering if there are any obvious do's and don't's for what to get or not get in a home in SA. For instance:

1. pool or no pool?
2. one- or two-story?
3. wood deck or cement pad deck or something else?
4. attached garage or not?
5. newly built home or rennovated old home?
6. Brick or siding?
7. etc...

Is there anything obvious that we should avoid at all costs based on personal experience?

Thanks!
My personal opinion?

Yes to the pool (our house didn't come with one so we are feverishly saving up to put one in)

One story only

Cement pad (I don't really care, to be honest - we have cement and I might prefer tile, but eh)

Yes to the attached garage

Yes to the renovated older home (my gorgeous MCM home was built in 1959 - original wood floors, original bathrooms but updated kitchen)

Yes to all brick, all the way around

My other big must haves included a lot of character (which is why we only looked at older homes), good sized yard (including side yards), mature landscaping, and big old trees.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Lucky you! Maybe the Med Center cools down more at night than I thought!
That or downtown is too much of a concrete jungle retaining all that heat.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
That or downtown is too much of a concrete jungle retaining all that heat.
That could be, but our friends on the far west side also have this experience.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:33 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
An attached garage is pretty much standard here.

If you get a newer house, the one stories usually have less back yard, if that matters to you. The lots they're building on now are fairly small, so only the two stories end up with a big back yard.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
That could be, but our friends on the far west side also have this experience.
Then it is all a big mystery to me why some get too hot and others don't with black colored gunite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio