U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2013, 11:38 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,545,942 times

Advertisements

How would one go about finding out about low cost job training or vocational programs in San Antonio? I know I have heard in the past about some training programs out there for someone who gets food stamps, etc., but I don't know where to look.

This is not for me. I am acquainted with a young person (single parent of a toddler) who is, out of frustration, considering a for-profit vocational school that charges 16k for a 30 day "certificate" program that basically results in some clerical skills and MAYBE a couple bucks above minimum wage. Then of course student loan debt after. I am trying to see if I can show her some alternatives that are short in length but not so costly. She has attempted a couple of times to go to one of the Alamo Colleges instead but always runs into trouble lining up child care, getting money to pay for the necessary entrance testing, etc.

Last edited by Sally_Sparrow; 03-06-2013 at 11:57 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 02:02 AM

6,998 posts, read 10,235,462 times
This would be perfect for her.
Project QUEST, Inc.

Goodwill also offers training.
Good Careers Academy

The Texas Workforce Commission provides funds for people to attend the Alamo Colleges and other vocational schools in town, but their link to the training programs is not working right now. I'll just post this below.
AWS

Old 03-07-2013, 07:16 AM

6,138 posts, read 8,594,492 times
Goodwill is going to be a good place to start. They have several different programs all at nearly half the cost as for profit schools. They will be starting an Administrative assistant program soon. Project Quest is also good but many of the things they do are just ways to get you into an ACCD school program. I believe the American GI forum also assists in some ways, even to non-Veterans.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:35 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,545,942 times
Thanks y'all. I shared with the person in question. They aren't going to listen (in too much of a hurry) but I tried. Maybe someone else will come along and see this and benefit from the info and NOT go 10k into debt for some useless certificate.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:58 AM

175 posts, read 349,353 times
Dars is for this type of situation. I forgot what it stands for. Department A...Rehab Services?
I know you are trying to not let her get into debt.
It seems that proprietary schools are the rage here. A young neighbor, just attended a nine month school for 'medical assistant'. High school drop out, now in his twenty's. when he was done, I asked him if he was going to move on to college to get a degree....his reply was " I have a degree". I told him he did not...that what he had was a 'certificate, and $15,000 in debt". This fellow did not even know the difference between a certificate and degree.
What are these proprietary schools doing? How are they allowed to do this?
Sad.
Thank you for caring and trying.
Again, young mother, probably out of wedlock child, on Welfare, not a clue that she is a drain on society.
What a sad situation, and sadder that it seems to be the norm....

Old 03-11-2013, 11:30 AM

293 posts, read 323,052 times
I would try the workforce and quest. I had the misfortune of being fired from a partime job back in 2005 and was forced to go on unemployment for two months. I got information about the W.I.A program offered through the workforce. They paid for me to go to school, all of my books, I got 25.00 gas cards every week(until my car broke and they gave me a buspass for that month) and I got assistance to pay 75% of my bills. This was a great opportunity as I was interested in becoming a pharmacy tech and you could only go for a 2 yr program for an "in demand" field, such as a pharmacy tech. I even had some problems with math and guess what, they had math classes twice a week at the workforce for free. The only issue was, I had to get a register signed every class that I attended and turn it in every other week, but that was a small price to pay for a free education

Old 03-11-2013, 01:46 PM

175 posts, read 349,353 times
Bianca-these places are good for us to know!
What is WIA?
Did you get to do pharmacy tech?
What does Workforce or this WIA offer.
The more the people know, the more the word can be spread....

Old 03-11-2013, 07:16 PM

293 posts, read 323,052 times
It was offered directly through workforce. I used to go to the bandera location to meet with the head guy every other week to turn in paper work and stuff. wia stands for workforce investment act and yes pharmacy tech is or was covered. They only did in demand but so was medical billing and coding but they told me not to choose that, as because its one of those ridiculous professions where they dont hire people without experience and alot of people who had completed the program with that certificate...couldnt find work. I would call to see if the program is still in place and how to get placed into it. I noticed back then the effects of a tightened budget, sometimes we would not get a gas card for the week. But I dont know if its still in place. I cant post links from my work but paste this into your browser..Workforce Investment Act (WIA) Related Information

Old 03-12-2013, 07:35 AM

6,998 posts, read 10,235,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha's View Post
Dars is for this type of situation. I forgot what it stands for. Department A...Rehab Services?
It seems that proprietary schools are the rage here. A young neighbor, just attended a nine month school for 'medical assistant'. High school drop out, now in his twenty's. when he was done, I asked him if he was going to move on to college to get a degree....his reply was " I have a degree". I told him he did not...that what he had was a 'certificate, and $15,000 in debt". This fellow did not even know the difference between a certificate and degree.
Sad.
Again, young mother, probably out of wedlock child, on Welfare, not a clue that she is a drain on society.
I got a master's degree for less than that.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:06 AM

3,669 posts, read 5,897,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha's View Post
Sad.
Thank you for this! This was very helpful and I am sure will change other lives even if not your neighbor's. Others though will read your post and even when our whole society cannot fix these issues you very well already have.

So many lives are going to be changed. Just imagine all the young people reading and one day when they are old like yourself they too will be able to help one of their young neighbors.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or