Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 08:27 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,074 times

Advertisements

With projections for the long-running drought only getting worse, San Antonio Water System officials warned Monday that it is on the cusp of having to institute the strictest water restrictions in the history of the utility.
If Stage 3 restrictions kicks in, for the first time ever outdoor watering would be limited to once every other week. Such restrictions are possible as early as May, SAWS spokeswoman Anne Hayden said in a news release.
[LEFT]
Read more: SAWS: Worst water restrictions ever possible by May - San Antonio Express-News
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 05:53 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,818,189 times
This is why I'm replacing the ~1/2 of my front lawn that looks like crap with stone/mulch/drought tolerant plants.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:58 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,459,775 times
soon you will be restricted to showering 2 times a week. water will be rationed. if you use over an X amount of water you will be paying more.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:14 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,680 times
I have to ask, what about all the cheerleader stories in local media about SAWS initiatives to rely less on the Edwards Aquifer, and more on other methods? That is why everyone's water bills have started to climb based on SAWS explanation of the rate hikes. So now we get ever expanding restrictions, higher bills, and no perceived get for the increased fees? Sounds like a pretty good racket to me. Maybe I need to start a Kickstarter entry for a start-up water utility to compete with SAWS....any takers?

Old 03-12-2013, 09:26 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,818,189 times
Well they were predicting higher than normal levels of precipitation due to el nino/nina which didn't happen so maybe this forecast will go the same way (not happen).

Old 03-12-2013, 09:36 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
So many businesses in San Antonio have sprinklers that runoff onto streets and parking lots or they run while it is raining.

Some homeowners would rather pay the fine and keep watering than to pay for lawn repair or redo.

The war on lawns begins earlier and earlier every year.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:07 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,459,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
I have to ask, what about all the cheerleader stories in local media about SAWS initiatives to rely less on the Edwards Aquifer, and more on other methods? That is why everyone's water bills have started to climb based on SAWS explanation of the rate hikes. So now we get ever expanding restrictions, higher bills, and no perceived get for the increased fees? Sounds like a pretty good racket to me. Maybe I need to start a Kickstarter entry for a start-up water utility to compete with SAWS....any takers?
i will parter with you. SAWS motto is : use less water....pay more.

Our company can be TXstrat&Torpedos. our motto: our water is really wet....

Old 03-12-2013, 10:15 AM

50 posts, read 102,254 times
More trouble for people with lawns and swimming pools?

Old 03-12-2013, 11:21 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
i will parter with you. SAWS motto is : use less water....pay more.

Our company can be TXstrat&Torpedos. our motto: our water is really wet....
Good start, I will add the following:

H2O for less dough

Our Water is Cheaper than Unleaded

Natural Artesian Spring Water Bottled at the Source, Jim Bob's Kitchen Faucet

Old 03-12-2013, 11:52 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Yeah you won't be able to shower but every other day, can't wash yer car at all, no lawn watering, no excessive sweating allowed but you can count on the golf courses to be lush and green with sprinklers running anytime they like. Like anything else in this country, it's all about the money.
They should have had resources lined up already for this drought. WE could take a limited amount from the Carrizo as long as we aren't hurting the farmers irrigation. While SAWS has been busy attempting to get water rights to more Edwards water around the Hondo area, getting water from the same source but farther away and deeper just doesn't make sense to me.
But I will give everybody a heads up. Ya better be stocking up on groceries and especially meat. The ranchers are starting to bring the cattle in because they are running out of water and the grasses aren't growing. Ranchers can't afford to feed and buy water for cattle. The price will probably dip a little but when the rains do come back, expect a huge increase in costs as demand will exceed supply for a while. I'd also suggest growing yer own veggies as the price may shoot thru the roof, IF, IF you can find them. Gonna be a tough year for the farmers and ranchers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio