Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 08:57 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanValdez View Post
I like the family pack from Old Smokehouse on Callaghan and Fredericksburg. Eat like a pig for days for ~$45.
I am not a fan of Old Smokehouse but I know a lot of people who are.

The people that work there are very nice and tried to go mulitple times to make sure I didn't catch them on a bad day but their BBQ is mediocre at best.

I live really really close to this place so I was hoping they would be good before I tried them.

To each, his own. There is no such thing as 'Best BBQ'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 09:20 AM

265 posts, read 534,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Definitely a go to place whenever we want BBQ.

Too bad it isn't the same but Bob's off of Roland and Rigsby used to be the best in SA. Never found anything that compares. They relocated and The Smokehouse is at their old location I mentioned but what a shame it is gone for good.
Bob's Smokehouse died when Bob Wells died. The siblings re-opened Bob's several months after his passing, but it was never the same. Sibling bickering further contributed to the downfall. When Mr. Wells died, his wife (not the mother of Bob's kids) took everything, the ranch in Seguin, homes, a bunch of cars, and insurance. The kids were left with the business.

It took a year and a half for the widow Wells to blow through all the money, lose significant real estate and the cars. She filed for bankruptcy and listed land the Smokehouse sat on at 3306 Roland as an asset.

The only sibling to receive notice ignored it, and the land (and appurtenances) were sold out from under the siblings.

Several months later, the Smokehouse re-opened, under new owners. They retained two of Bob's long-time employees, Larris and Clifford, but it just wasn't the same.

I used to frequent the Smokehouse until they had a business consultant advise them to sell bottled water for $2.00 and charge for containers of bbq sauce. The final blow was when they served us BURNT short ribs that were so badly burnt that they were not edible, and they REFUSED to replace it with properly cooked product.

The Old Smokehouse on Callaghan is run by Solomon Wells, Bob's brother, and is probably the closest you can get to the legendary Q of Bob's.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:04 AM

216 posts, read 398,638 times
I really appreciate the history on Bob's bbq I used to always tell any one that asked about how good the bbq was. It was hands down the best, even beat the places in Luling and Lockhart that people like to brag about. The other thing that made them standout in my opinion was they served lamb ribs. Not little Frenched niblets but ribs sliced off the entire lamb breast they would prepare, great stuff. I guess it's been a year or more since I ate there last it was okay, I don't have any idea what is like now.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:39 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
The history was well appreciated indeed. The original Bob's was definitely the best BBQ our city has ever had.

Man, oh man, remember this: Where this is smoke there is BBQ.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:07 AM

545 posts, read 1,061,329 times
Just so long as you don't serve me boiled meat from Rudy's, we're good.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:59 PM

349 posts, read 422,019 times
Bob's was so damn great when Bob ran it. And just down the road from where I grew up.

Tried it again a few years ago, not even close. Shed a tear over it.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:32 PM

824 posts, read 1,815,449 times
By the way, The Granary is the best barbecue in SA, and it's not even close.

Of course, this message board being what it is, I expect indignant claims that it's "elitist", since it costs $4 more per lb. than other terminally mediocre places (like Augies, and Smokehouse, and, Barbecue Stations, and well, just about every other place named here).

Old 03-19-2013, 06:44 PM

15 posts, read 24,321 times
I love Bucket Brigade on FM 2252 down the road a ways from Rolling Oaks Mall.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:47 PM

349 posts, read 422,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
By the way, The Granary is the best barbecue in SA, and it's not even close.

Of course, this message board being what it is, I expect indignant claims that it's "elitist", since it costs $4 more per lb. than other terminally mediocre places (like Augies, and Smokehouse, and, Barbecue Stations, and well, just about every other place named here).

I need to try their bbq. Only been there at dinner time.

I've been wanting to do it for a while now, just havent had a chance yet, and Lent puts things in a bit of a pickle, since thats when I'm most able to go during the week

Old 03-19-2013, 08:50 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,288,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywithstick View Post
B&B Smokehouse on the south side near Pleasanton Rd & SW Military
Word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio