U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 01:20 PM

925 posts, read 893,747 times

Advertisements

I posted this on another site:

River North

Aerial of the Central Loop/Downtown area and where River North lies within it.

Master Plan

Existing

Proposed
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/2782/northaerial2ss1.png (broken link)

River North breakdown

One of the developments proposed for the Museum District is a Museum Plaza. A open air plaza surrounded by new museum buildings as well as lofts and retail.

Transportation in River North will include River Taxi/Bus, Street Car, Street Trolley and new Bus line additions

Rendering of the Streetcar running in a new residential development on Avenue B

River North currently

River North of the future
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 03:40 PM

2,559 posts, read 5,259,291 times
This will do wonders for the downtown area.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:09 PM

483 posts, read 1,424,394 times
I've just moved to Kansas City, and I don't know how many of you are familiar with the Plaza area, but it's alot like what I'm hoping River North becomes, particularly the arts district (KC's is focused around the Nelson-Adkins Art Museum). In fact, RN might even be able to top it if the street car comes to fruition, as the Plaza is still largely auto-centric in many places.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:47 AM

304 posts, read 1,420,475 times
No love for Monorails or barges on the water?

Old 01-08-2008, 01:20 PM

790 posts, read 3,616,456 times
The master plan includes transit for river barges all the way up to the Pearl District before the river hits Brackenridge Park... so it could function like a water taxi between downtown and Pearl (nice scenery but sloooooow).

AFAIK, monorails are not really considered viable public transit options in metros like ours (here's a site that compares the monorail/light rail options Monorail vs. Light Rail: A Comparative North American Summary). It appears that all the powers-that-be in SA seem to be advocating for a fixed in-ground streetcar system (instead of hop-on-hop-off rubber-tire trolley buses). Streetcars will cost upwards of $35mm, but advocates say the investment is the only way to ensure adequate private investment in the surrounding buildings and businesses. I don't really buy that argument but could go along with it if the streetcar system eventually ties into a light-rail system radiating from downtown across the city and up to Austin. But what the heck do I know... that and $2.45 will get you a tall decaf soy latte at Starbucks.

Last edited by CelesteDF; 01-08-2008 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-09-2008, 08:59 AM

304 posts, read 1,420,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesteDF View Post
The master plan includes transit for river barges all the way up to the Pearl District before the river hits Brackenridge Park... so it could function like a water taxi between downtown and Pearl (nice scenery but sloooooow).
Planning to move back in a few years, this project is very intriguing.

Although they would be slow, (maybe 10mph)the directness of the route and the convenience of not having to hunt for a parking space and leave yours may make it a viable option. I think it would be awesome to be living in River North and go to Southtown and not have to travel on a single road. (Negative about the barges is they are lawn mower engines that add to the pollution. Maybe electric barges?) I kind of liken it to the Monon Trail that we have running through Indianapolis. The trail is an abandoned rail line and allows bikes and pedestrian traffic. A whole community has grown around the trail. Property values have increased around the trail and there is much commerce that is easily accessable from the trail.

Maybe allow paddle boats on the river? (Electric paddle boats)

I can dream can't I?

Old 01-09-2008, 07:51 PM

83 posts, read 273,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesteDF View Post
As posted in today's E-N. Hope to meet some fellow C-D'ers who are interested in the progress on River North:

The Downtown Alliance San Antonio is scheduled to hold a second public meeting Tuesday, January 8 to discuss plans for River North, the mixed-use, mixed-income neighborhood along the San Antonio River immediately north of downtown.

A master plan for the project has been revised and updated based on comments received at an earlier public meeting.

The meeting is scheduled to take place at 5:30 p.m. at Providence High School, 1215 N. St. Mary's.

The Downtown Alliance asks that people who plan to attend R.S.V.P. by calling (210) 225-3862.
so is there any new info from this meeting??

Old 01-09-2008, 08:43 PM

10 posts, read 24,566 times
Question to the participants here. What is going to make River North so much more special than the current northern stretch of the River that has been completed since the 1950's ? The large office building at One Riverwalk (700 N. St. Mary's) was built in the early 80's. It has one of the most beautiful river fronts in the city yet there is no restaurant in the old Pardo's space and the building is only 65% occupied. What makes the new River North so different ?

Old 01-09-2008, 08:49 PM

83 posts, read 273,237 times
i think the river is stretching both north and south more than it is already. also the addition of a whole bunch of different things. did u not see the renderings. how can u even ask how its going to be different? its obvious it will be different. and i think adding restaurants is in the plans for the project as well if thats what your looking for.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:23 PM

355 posts, read 1,243,763 times
The SA museum of art and the new Pearl Brewery would be new additons to the riverwalk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or