U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 12:22 AM

790 posts, read 3,614,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside the Loop View Post
What makes the new River North so different ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone View Post
so is there any new info from this meeting??
Inside the Loop - You can see on the first page of this thread a number of renderings from the first draft of the master plan for River North, as well as download a full copy of the master plan at Virtual Tours These illustrate that the river and surrounding neighborhoods will be developed from downtown up to the Pearl District. This is an urban development project on a massive scale and goes far beyond just extending the River Walk, and because of the incredible lack of density currently in downtown this is unlike virtually all other major urban development projects across the country.

Tone - Tuesday evening's master plan presentation was pretty extensive and I wouldn't do the key concepts justice in the short amount of time I have right now. I suggest you read the introduction section of the master plan, found at Virtual Tours You can also download all sections of the plan to get more detail on the design plan and implementation recommendations.

My personal takeaway from the presentation? I believe this is a well-intentioned and well-planned approach for a vibrant, mixed-income, mixed-use urban community... but, as always, the devil is in the details and developers in SA are well-known for getting their way despite whatever master plans might dictate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 10:49 AM

304 posts, read 1,419,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inside the Loop View Post
Question to the participants here. What is going to make River North so much more special than the current northern stretch of the River that has been completed since the 1950's ? The large office building at One Riverwalk (700 N. St. Mary's) was built in the early 80's. It has one of the most beautiful river fronts in the city yet there is no restaurant in the old Pardo's space and the building is only 65% occupied. What makes the new River North so different ?
Current situation is there appears to be old warehouses and dilapidated housing in the area. There is no continuity in this area. The river appears to have banks overgrown with weeds. And Broadway is not a destination street but a 'highway'.

I think the success of the project is that it must have living areas to intice professionals as well as service workers to locate in the area. From what I read, this is one of the goals. The other success point is that it must connect destination areas. Utilizing the river to connect Southtown/King William to Downtown to the Museum of Art and Pearl Brewery would satisfy that need. By connecting these destinations, River North becomes a desireable location.

Googling 700 N St. Marys appears to be near the auditorium. I would assume that Prados probably did a good lunch business but not so much after that. It is too far from the Riverwalk and there is not enough other stuff around it to be a destination.

I do believe this will work, G Whop posted on the GBNF thread an architect's presentation on how to construct successful communities. I think this project is incorporating much of those elements and by that virtue has a good chance of success.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:15 AM

83 posts, read 217,337 times
im sorry if it has already been posted ive read through the thread but still couldnt find out lol. When does this plan officially start and supposed to be complete, also is there going to be a height limit or maximum, and... it is going to be all mixed use right?

Old 01-28-2008, 01:00 PM

604 posts, read 1,667,035 times
I thought the project was going to extend all the way up to brackenridge park...

Old 01-28-2008, 05:59 PM

483 posts, read 1,423,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbsan View Post
im sorry if it has already been posted ive read through the thread but still couldnt find out lol. When does this plan officially start and supposed to be complete, also is there going to be a height limit or maximum, and... it is going to be all mixed use right?
I believe the actual riverwalk extension phase began this summer, and is close to being completed up to the Pearl Brewery (don't know about the phase extending through Brackenridge). The zoning of the area is rather unique, as the plan is to create different "districts" (i.e., an arts district) while still allowing for diverse and expressive architecture. As I understand it, the plan will stipulate more moderate building heights along surface streets, and taller (up to 200 ft or so, I believe) closer to the river. When this all will be fully realized is anyone's guess, but I know a couple of condo and loft projects have already been proposed/announced.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:23 PM

656 posts, read 1,681,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
I believe the actual riverwalk extension phase began this summer, and is close to being completed up to the Pearl Brewery (don't know about the phase extending through Brackenridge). The zoning of the area is rather unique, as the plan is to create different "districts" (i.e., an arts district) while still allowing for diverse and expressive architecture. As I understand it, the plan will stipulate more moderate building heights along surface streets, and taller (up to 200 ft or so, I believe) closer to the river. When this all will be fully realized is anyone's guess, but I know a couple of condo and loft projects have already been proposed/announced.
Browsing the "Vision and Plan" document here: River North

This really jumped out at me:
------------------------------------------
River North is a field of complex existing buildings and places and should be developed in a manner that takes advantage of them.
Most importantly, the future development patterns of this part of Downtown San Antonio should be built out in a manner that offers both living options and establishes a diverse architectural and urbanist character.

The most intense development at River North should be directed towards the river itself. A number of towers should be built there that continue the scale of the Downtown, this time in a park setting.

Broadway should become a place of significant continuous urban intensity, readable as a corridor of large mixed use buildings, capable of defining a fabric, not unlike that of great European cities, such as Madrid, Stockholm or Paris.

Avenue B should also be developed as a contiguous and continuous urban street, but with buildings significantly smaller than those on Broadway.

The Historic Irish Flats area, centered on Alamo Street, shall be developed on an infill basis, with the scale of new buildings dependent on that of the existing ones.

The west side of River North, west of Saint Mary’s is even more sensitive than the Irish Flats. There the infill strategy should remain compatible with single family houses."
--------------------------------------------

The river improvements are already going in.... It looks like this could be a real possibility, It is going to be very interesting over the next 5 to 10 years!!!! Especially if any of those towers of "Downtown" scale get built in that area!

Corey

Old 01-30-2008, 06:49 AM

I knew they had talked about turning the Broadway corridor into a "destination" street instead of just another point A to B arterial like it is now. Hopefully it will develop in much the same way as the UIW and Brackenridge areas, with a mix of shopping, restaurants, office, and residential.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
I knew they had talked about turning the Broadway corridor into a "destination" street instead of just another point A to B arterial like it is now. Hopefully it will develop in much the same way as the UIW and Brackenridge areas, with a mix of shopping, restaurants, office, and residential.
In skimming the vision, they want it to be even more urban than those sections of Broadway, essentially zero lot line buildings continuous on each block. I don't think that is a bad deal, but if they want it that dense, public transportation in and out is going to be essential, otherwise parking will be a huge problem.

Corey

Old 01-30-2008, 07:44 AM

Was there anything that you saw that suggested trolley or streetcar service being extended to Broadway? I'm asking because I've heard that it was considered to be not viable.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Was there anything that you saw that suggested trolley or streetcar service being extended to Broadway? I'm asking because I've heard that it was considered to be not viable.
Nope street car proposed is a Downtown loop along Avenue B one block off Broadway, also there will be some sort of river transit option. These are mostly get around downtown options, not get in and out of downtown.

I personally would like to see a rail or some option on or near Broadway from Downtown to the Airport. But I thing we will have to see how the BRT line from the Medical Center to Downtown works out.

Corey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or