Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 07:05 PM

19 posts, read 36,775 times

Advertisements

Thank y'all so much for the responses! I'm so happy to hear that we should fit in just fine. And, I have to say, this is the friendliest board I've ever posted on. It makes me much more excited about the possibility of moving to SA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 07:09 PM

216 posts, read 396,324 times
Not a problem with the interracial thing at all, seriously, but coming from Georgia now that has me concerned. Naw, come on, we love people from Georgia too. I think you will love it here. I was born and raised in SA then I lived in the Floresville area for about 30 years raised two children there and found it to be all you could want, it even has a theater. It was only a little over 30 min to downtown SA. The land prices were much more reasonable we had a 3000sq ft all brick home on three acres and a farm with a little over a hundred acres as well on a teacher and construction workers wages. Things have escalated some due to all the oil and gas activity in the area but I still believe it is very affordable and has a lot to offer.
I now live in Boerne great little town as well, I'm afraid though it won't stay little much longer

Old 03-20-2013, 08:09 PM

520 posts, read 778,090 times
It's a military town, you won't even get a second glance, even outside of the military communities, this town mixes it up pretty good.

I'm white, my wife is black, my step-daughters are bi-racial. Though I've only lived in SA since last June I can't recall a single side-eye or hostile look, much less words.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:29 PM

5,238 posts, read 7,959,738 times
OP, I echo what the board says. What part of Africa are your children from?

This is one of the best forums on CD. Keep us informed on your progress with the move.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:39 PM

838 posts, read 1,206,108 times
You might want to check out this blog and reach out to this couple. It's a fascinating story about their adoption process. They live in San Antonio and they have an older teenage son they adopted from Africa as well as a baby girl. Very touching stories.

Pure & Lasting » Life and Ethiopian Adoption Blog

Old 03-20-2013, 10:08 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,395,663 times
I have found as the momma to several adopted (OBVIOUSLY when they are foreign born and you are not) children, we get more "is it hard, how did you do it"? type queries than anything......as the got older the "will that be separate check's" question and when they were little, "you can not sample that until your parents are with you"...but no one ever battaed an I when I piped up "their mother is standing right here". Curiousity about adopted foreign born kids runs high, I think it is because other are trying to gleen info to in consideration of trying to do the same. People DO have large hearts....

Old 03-21-2013, 09:24 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,622,119 times
I see no problem with that here. People I know wouldn't give it a second thought.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:21 AM

Thanks again for the feedback. This is great. It makes me feel very confident about moving forward with this job possibility. I know that no place is perfect but I have definitely found that some are better than others!

Thanks bspray for the blog, too! It will be great to contact them and get their perspective.

Paka, I do think that most of the looks we get are just curiosity and I'm always glad to talk to someone about adoption and definitely answer questions if they're interested in the process! I would just like to avoid, as much as possible, some of the hostility we've encountered in some places here in Georgia.

todd00, our kids are from the Democratic Republic of Congo. They came home last year and we are actually in the process again! We found out in January that their older sister has just been placed for adoption so we are now working hard to bring her home as well. That's one of the reasons that we are looking to move. We'll be going from 0-3 kids in less than 2 years! We need to change our financial and living situation. Unfortunately the economy has hit our area pretty hard. Jobs are pretty hard to come by. I've heard that SA is doing pretty good, even in these tough times.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:04 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,851,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFMike View Post
Is that still a thing?

Nothing to worry about here!
I don't think this sort of thing was ever a thing at least not a big thing, at least not in the Hill Country.

The old Texas Hill Country harbored Germans who refused to go along with the Confederacy in the Civil War so the Confederacy declared martial law in the Hill Country.

Some of those German men, rather than be drafted, they were abolitionists who refused, tried to flee to Mexico and they were hunted down and massacred.

Treue der Union Monument in Comfort, Texas

Comfort also hosted a hotbed of freethinkers in the 19th century. They shared the same general sentiment toward the Civil War as the other Germans in the Hill Country.

Then there is this...

Quote:
These were just some of the extreme measures Danny Eldridge used to try and drive his new neighbors out of the Flying R Ranch, a private development in Comal County, according to Michael and Leanna Risenmay.

A federal civil rights suit, filed by the Risenmays in San Antonio, asserts that Eldridge's actions were driven by racial hatred toward Mrs. Risenmay, who is Jewish, and the couple's nine adopted black children.
Racial taunts cost Spring Branch man - San Antonio Express-News

Old 03-29-2013, 06:47 AM

Well we got the official offer yesterday! Making our decision this weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio