Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 05:16 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity View Post
They did that here for one or two circulars and have since gone back to automatic discounts. However, I know that in some markets (e.g. Los Angeles) they still require the physical coupons.
That was just a dumb requirement. It made me mad. They told me thy made that rule change for fraud reasons. It's their friggin' coupon book! When you make it inconvenient for me to shop there, I'll quit shopping there, so I did quit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 06:39 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,720,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Consider switching to Sam's Club. I "divorced" Costco when they started requiring the physical coupons to be torn out of the coupon book a few years ago and switched my warehouse membership to Sam's. It's closer to where I live and I've been completely satisfied since the switch. Since Sam's has 7 locations in SA, compared to Costco's 3, it's closer to where most people live.
The only reason I switched from SAMS to COSTCO is because my mom offered to put me on her membership. Since she is going to have the membership I'll just tag along. (I do miss SAMS though)

Old 03-22-2013, 05:51 AM

168 posts, read 409,160 times
Quote:
Consider switching to Sam's Club. I "divorced" Costco when they started requiring the physical coupons to be torn out of the coupon book a few years ago and switched my warehouse membership to Sam's. It's closer to where I live and I've been completely satisfied since the switch. Since Sam's has 7 locations in SA, compared to Costco's 3, it's closer to where most people live.
I tried SAM'S when they had a free non-member day and just was not impresssed with what was on the shelves and also with the items that I purchased. Just too much like Wal-Mart...but paying a fee to shop! I'll fight the crowds at COSTCO before switching over to SAM'S.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:07 AM

475 posts, read 1,093,689 times
Quote:
That was just a dumb requirement. It made me mad. They told me thy made that rule change for fraud reasons. It's their friggin' coupon book! When you make it inconvenient for me to shop there, I'll quit shopping there, so I did quit.
I think that the discounts are paid by the manufacturer (credits), and they are mostly used to coupons with a low redemption percentage, as low as in the single digits. At the time, some coupons in the Costco book were supposedly having redemptions of 100% or even higher, so Costco was trying to get a handle on how some were able to do fraudulent redemptions. I assume they continue to monitor for this in the areas where they still require you to submit a paper coupon. It's kinda funny since all the coupons have the exact same UPC code.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napunani View Post
I tried SAM'S when they had a free non-member day and just was not impresssed with what was on the shelves and also with the items that I purchased. Just too much like Wal-Mart...but paying a fee to shop! I'll fight the crowds at COSTCO before switching over to SAM'S.
Really? I've only ever run across about 2 items I purchased regularly that Costco offered and Sam's didn't.

Sam's is a little more geared toward business customers, in that they offer a wider selection of convenience-store type items. But I can buy the brands of food and household items I want at similar prices. Every once in a while, Sam's would surprise me when it offers something really esoteric that I'd only ever seen previously at Costco.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:16 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,398,571 times
Quote:
Really? I've only ever run across about 2 items I purchased regularly that Costco offered and Sam's didn't.

Sam's is a little more geared toward business customers, in that they offer a wider selection of convenience-store type items. But I can buy the brands of food and household items I want at similar prices. Every once in a while, Sam's would surprise me when it offers something really esoteric that I'd only ever seen previously at Costco.

I think it's all a game, after watching a documentary on Costco. I signed up with Costco because for what seemed to be 6+ months, they had a SWEET deal on my favorite kind of k-cup. So, I decided to stop bugging my sister to get them for me and got a membership. No lie, about 2 months into it they stopped carrying them. Now a year later I hear they're at Sam's. Just friggin' awesome. I just wanted to say, "Costco. You had one job." (well, for me. lol)

Old 03-22-2013, 02:38 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,137 times
There are many items at Costco that we get the store brand (kirkland) because it's cheaper and of good quality. The tuna fish, and tortilla strips are a couple things I can think of off the top of my head.
And of course we buy our milk there.

I just wish I didn't have to drive all the way to UTSA for the stuff we buy. It's really the only reason we drive up to that area of town.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:09 PM

475 posts, read 1,093,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I think it's all a game, after watching a documentary on Costco. I signed up with Costco because for what seemed to be 6+ months, they had a SWEET deal on my favorite kind of k-cup. So, I decided to stop bugging my sister to get them for me and got a membership. No lie, about 2 months into it they stopped carrying them. Now a year later I hear they're at Sam's. Just friggin' awesome. I just wanted to say, "Costco. You had one job." (well, for me. lol)
Well since they will refund your membership (prorated I think) at any time, hopefully you were able to drop them once they dropped your k-cups.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:04 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,398,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity View Post
Well since they will refund your membership (prorated I think) at any time, hopefully you were able to drop them once they dropped your k-cups.
I have kept it in the hopes that they will bring it back. Is that sad? Yes. But I also like their giant box of organic eggs. lol. Grade AA? Yes thank you. 24? Why yes! I'll take two.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:10 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,287,967 times
Is there a Costco or Sam's in AR/Westover Hills area?......no because that would make sense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio