U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 10:33 PM

41 posts, read 50,157 times

Advertisements

So, I'm moving to SA and want treat myself I like the river-walk and plan to spend alot of time there
but where to eat?

Also is there a jogging path around the riverwalk?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 08:04 AM

702 posts, read 611,120 times
I don't really dig the main area of the river around the mall because it is always packed with folks and hard to get around or find parking.

What I recommend is parking at the Pearl brewery and going down to the museum reach area of the river. Hardly any people (compared to downtown), you see joggers and bikers there, and personally I am a fan of La Gloria's.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:10 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,827 posts, read 33,239,916 times
My wife swears by Boudro's. She's been there several times without me. My lone visit was just OK.

Boudro's is fancy. If you want good food and a casual setting, I like The Lone Star Cafe.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:14 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,386,821 times
I am not a huge fan of the RW restaurants that are in the U (the main portion downtown). Probably the one I like best is Acenar and people rave about Luke tho it's a bit meat-heavy for me.

I second the recommendation to hit the Pearl. Loads of fabulous restaurants. La Gloria is on the River, but the place is bursting with fine dining. Also many dining opportunities in Southtown (which is along the river, but the commercial corridor is a few blocks off the river along S. Alamo St)

For running - outside the U, you can run all along the Riverwalk (the U is ok in the early mornings, but otherwise too crowded and not very wide). The Riverwalk goes all the way to the Witte (not entirely along the river but through the park) and south all the way to Mission Espada along the river. Plenty of running. I go 3-4x week on some stretch of it.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:29 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,389,649 times
Well, since we are touting close to but not ON the riverwalk...Texas De Brazil is AWESOME...but do not eat at all 2 days before (or expect to be able to eat two days after)! )

Old 03-25-2013, 09:04 AM

310 posts, read 465,506 times
If you want to eat on the touristy area of the Riverwalk, I would recommend Boudro's or Acenar. Ostra and Paesano's are good (maybe not great) as well. For the most part, I would avoid this area and stick to the Pearl or Southtown for the best concentration of restaurants that have great local flavor. Have fun!

Old 03-25-2013, 10:03 AM

5,162 posts, read 9,750,483 times
I like Mexican Manhattan, great food, great prices and its not really in the "crowded" area of the RW

Old 03-25-2013, 10:08 AM

1,792 posts, read 2,446,898 times
Biga on the Banks. By far the best dining on the river.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:17 AM

6,199 posts, read 8,672,300 times
If you're going to run around the Riverwalk I would recommend starting near Brackenridge Park. Head left on N. St. Mary's and take a left on Mulberry until you see the golf course and go down toward broadway and turn right on Avenue B which will take you under 281 to another parking lot. I'm not sure what that is for and for all I know it's some gigantic landmark....cross Josephine and you'll see the Riverwalk that way. Head left and it will take you toward downtown. Avoid the U as everyone else has said. A group and I got lost up that way once (we were supposed to go up a bridge that we never actually saw...) and got caught by a few early morning tourists that were caught off guard by our pace.

As far as restaurants, I don't eat. So. Just kidding. I have nothing to add there.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:40 AM

411 posts, read 555,523 times
+1 on above recs to check out the Pearl complex and Southtown restaurants...they haven't been overrun with tourists like most of the ones on the downtown bend are. If you're looking for a special ocasion/$$$ dinner ON the river....imho your choices narrow down to Biga on the Banks or Restaurant Gwendolyn (both have websites or you can check urbanspoon).
For Jogging/walking without dodging strollers/crowds head north from Pecan St towards the Pearl or south from Durango towards Blue Star and the missions (very nice trail 6+ miles).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio