U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 06:23 PM

11 posts, read 49,636 times

Advertisements

A friend just cautioned me to ask about fire ants when looking to purchase property in Texas. He said that there are fire ants in Texas and that if they are on your property it is impossible to get rid of them.

Can anyone shed any light on this ref the greater San Antonio and Hill Country area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2006, 06:39 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,347,445 times
Default Fire Ant Control

Fire Ants have been in America since the 1950's (came in through Alabama, probably from a transport ship from South America). They have spread east, west, and north (in warmer climates). Apparently, they have not adapted to colder climates. You can never totally get rid of them; however, you can control them with some of the available poisons.
Here is a web site to help you learn more about control of these varmits and others in Texas:

http://www.texasento.net/prob.htm

Old 10-06-2006, 06:51 PM

2,814 posts, read 12,058,602 times
Fire ants lived in my front lawn in Henderson, Nevada. I didn't know it until one day I was barefoot watering the lawn with a hose and started to feel sharp pains in my feet. I looked down and I was being bitten by fire ants. I stomped on them, then washed them off, but that was the only time they were a "pain" to me. They never got into the house and I wore at least flip flops going forward outside, though I never really had much concern about them. They're annoying, but they don't seem to be overwhelming, at least in my experience.

Old 10-07-2006, 03:17 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,221,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehduc View Post
A friend just cautioned me to ask about fire ants when looking to purchase property in Texas. He said that there are fire ants in Texas and that if they are on your property it is impossible to get rid of them.

Can anyone shed any light on this ref the greater San Antonio and Hill Country area?

Thanks!
You can get a poison that you sprinkle on the lawn..they eat it and take it to the queen...they all die!! I got some from a friend of mine who works for Orkin Pest Control. It works great. They are not impossible to get rid of. Also recently heard baby powder is a good deterent.

Old 10-07-2006, 09:34 PM

51 posts, read 63,943 times
They aren't too big of a deal really. The reason you can't ever get completely rid of them is similar to trying to get rid of mosquitos. They are everywhere. Kill all of them in one spot and its only a matter of time before more move in to replace those. They really aren't too bad. I'll take a dozen stings from fireants over one bee sting any day of the week, lol.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:11 AM

Default *****ly problem

Thanks to all for your insight. I just got thru visiting the Hill Country (looking at land) and everyplace had fire ants. With the info you all provided, at least I can tackle the problem and its not going to be a big deal for us or our dogs.

Now, any ideas on dealing with cactus? I spoke with some locals who told me that you had to burn them to kill them...and even then they might come back...

Old 10-12-2006, 11:13 AM

Question Sticky problem

Thanks to all for your insight. I just got thru visiting the Hill Country (looking at land) and everyplace had fire ants. With the info you all provided, at least I can tackle the problem and its not going to be a big deal for us or our dogs.

Now, any ideas on dealing with cactus? I spoke with some locals who told me that you had to burn them to kill them...and even then they might come back...

Old 10-12-2006, 11:21 AM

14,874 posts, read 37,168,977 times
Fire ants really can be easily controlled. The problem arises when you treat your yard but your neighbors do not. So they move next door. In a few weeks your neighbor notices the sudden carpetbaggers that have appeared on his lawn and he treats them. Then they return to your yard to camp out. And the merry go round just keeps going. If everyone in a entire neighborhood treated EVERY inch of yard at the same time every year(April and May is a good time to start) then it has been proven by researchers at Texas A&M that fire ants can be eradicated from an area for good.

Try doing some research thru Texas A&M and look at the resources avaiable for fire ants. From what I remember they will help organize a neighborhood to treat them every year. Their site will also probably have some info on how to best get rid of cacti. Neil Sperry is the Texas gardner guru.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,424 times
i've grown up with fire ants. they come, they go. i've had less than 5 bites in my 30 years. and i was outside all the time. the story about people waking up to find their dog is a skeleton and some fluff on the back porch is an old wives tale.

Old 10-13-2006, 11:14 PM

469 posts, read 2,167,222 times
We're from San Diego and everyone had ants everywhere, always. Not red ones, just the regular black ones but our yard here in San Antonio has the red ones. We've never even thought of getting rid of the little buggers. I was pulling some weeds and they started crawling up my hands and biting me. They are kind of a little itty bitty sting that kind of itches. Irritating but not anything I'd stress over. We have 3 dogs that hang out in the grass when they feel so inclined and none of them seemed to be bothered by them. 2 of them are allergy prone with very sensitive skin and any little thing will give them hives and lovely stuff like that so we'd notice if they were having problems. I think the mosquitoes are more of an annoyance out here, never really thought about the ants....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or