Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 10:41 AM

409 posts, read 1,034,285 times

Advertisements

Recently I took my truck for repairs to a nearby tire shop/auto mechanic shop for part needing replacement. Long story short..$230 later the problem was still there. He explained to me that there was also "Something else" wrong. I asked the person working on my vehicle to produce a receipt for parts purchased from the auto parts store and to see if there was a warranty on parts. He could not produce one because, "The auto parts store does not issue one to them."..I went to the auto parts store where parts were supposedly bought and the clerk told me that he could not give me information on whether or not someone bought the parts by these ppl. I explained to him that I was trying to see if the work I paid for was actually done and that I did not get ripped off by someone who said he bought the part and didn't. He did however come out to look and tell & show me whether or not the part was new or not. Come to find out the part was replaced so I was satisfied with that. I hear too many storied about ppl getting ripped off when nothing was done and mechanics pocketing the customer's hard earned $$. This is especially true with non-English speaking mechanics. Is there such a policy of shops not required to produce proof (receipts) of parts purchased at your expense? I would think I, being the customer, have every right to know what I paid for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 11:11 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,154 times
Any reputable business would be able to supply proof, if they are unwilling/unable to document, I would definitely look for another shop.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:53 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
A reputable shop will provide a warranty on the replaced part for a certain amount of time. During that time, if the part fails, a reputable shop will generally replace it without charging you anything.

I know an honest mechanic if you need one, his garage is near 1604 and 90 so it would depend on your side of town though.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:21 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,743,642 times
Yep, I know one too. Broadway near the Witte. Awesome guys, only problem is that they are very busy, hard to get in if it isn't an emergency.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:17 PM

Default Thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
A reputable shop will provide a warranty on the replaced part for a certain amount of time. During that time, if the part fails, a reputable shop will generally replace it without charging you anything.

I know an honest mechanic if you need one, his garage is near 1604 and 90 so it would depend on your side of town though.
I'm on the NE part of town so it's a bit out of my way but thanx anyway.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:19 PM

Default Will look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Yep, I know one too. Broadway near the Witte. Awesome guys, only problem is that they are very busy, hard to get in if it isn't an emergency.
I will look in that area and see if I can find it during a weekday and tell them they were recommended. Thanx

Old 03-29-2013, 08:46 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,269 times
I know one near West and Blanco. Good guy, fair prices, always saved me money b/c I don't have to go back. They get it right the first time.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,087 times
I'm a shop owner and can give a little info. Shops receive a variety of discount levels from parts warehouses based on volume and other factors. It's common practice to add a small markup on parts purchased for customers' cars to help with overhead costs. Shops don't provide copies of receipts on parts they purchased, just as Sears or WalMart won't provide copies of receipts showing what they paid for items you purchase from them. The new receipt issued from the shop is the customers' receipt and should be honored by the shop for any warranty issues.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:49 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,939 times
Shouldn't they have provided the old parts upon request as proof they replaced them?
There's no guarantee they came from your car but it's better than nothing.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:33 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,620,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMilner View Post
I'm a shop owner and can give a little info. Shops receive a variety of discount levels from parts warehouses based on volume and other factors. It's common practice to add a small markup on parts purchased for customers' cars to help with overhead costs. Shops don't provide copies of receipts on parts they purchased, just as Sears or WalMart won't provide copies of receipts showing what they paid for items you purchase from them. The new receipt issued from the shop is the customers' receipt and should be honored by the shop for any warranty issues.
An auto shop didn't have the parts to replace on my '46 pickup.
I offered to supply the parts & no warranty was required. Not having
all the equipment at home would've taken me longer to install. The shop
declined. I guess part of the reason was that they couldn't apply the
"common practice" of adding a markup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio