Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 11:58 PM

24 posts, read 47,171 times

Advertisements

I have been an MLB fan since 1971. In fact, I have both loyally and faithfully routed for the second all time winningest team in MLB, the Oakland Athletics. As an early aged fan I learned about some of the A's baseball legends which won 3 World Series in the early 70's, the whimsical wonders of Billy Ball in the early 80's, a Battle of the Bay World Series with the likes of the Bash Brothers, an MLB all time record setting 22 game season winning streak, and yes the unimaginable and economical major league reconstruction and demonstration of Billy Bean's Money Ball! And through it all I've grown to be a middles aged fanatic who has seen the world through the eyes of a retired US Navy Chief Petty Officer and Salvage Diver, a 7 year San Antonio resident- who is hear to stay- and a blissfully and spiritually married man with a wonderfully, adoring wife who has herself become an Athletics fan! Although the Oakland A's- after beating the Texas Rangers on the last day of the season for the Western Division crown- fell one game shy of the 2012 ACLS, they are just beginning to develope as A DYNASTY IN THE MAKING! As a San Antonio baseball fanatic who would love to see the Oakland Athletics answer the call of a city who not only is primed and ready for an MLB franchise, but just proved they can- 75,000 strong- flock to the presently, football designed Alamo Dome and proudly cheer for a pair of over priced spring training games. Since we now have the MLB's permission for this outstanding franchise- who is once again primed and ready to dominate the AL West for at least a decade to come- to consider inviting other cities proposals to relocate to; can Judge Nelson Wolf, Mayor Castro, all business owners considered, and San Antonio residents help to make what would be this San Antonio residents dream come true? Can we bring MLB to Texas for the third time and make the San Antonio Athletics a reality for 2017? The title of this forum begs the question... Lets make some noise San Antonio baseball fans!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 04:15 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,049,244 times
Love the imagination and the adjectives, but no thanks.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:27 AM

340 posts, read 583,148 times
What's with the trend of BIG WALLS OF TEXT as posts lately?

Btw, would love MLB in SA.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:13 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,881,135 times
Rah! Rah! Rah!

Old 04-01-2013, 07:42 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,123,859 times
IF we were to get a team do you really think the Alamodome would do? Not a chance.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:44 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,944,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
IF we were to get a team do you really think the Alamodome would do? Not a chance.
Not without $100 million or so in remodeling. A 285-foot foul line on the first-base side and fans in 1/3 of the seats not being able to see home plate are not going to please anyone employed by MLB.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:03 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,802,752 times
I think any major league sports teams would be welcome here. I personally believe a MLS team would have a better chance of success though.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:26 AM

923 posts, read 1,494,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLBinSA2017 View Post
I have been an MLB fan since 1971. In fact, I have both loyally and faithfully routed for the second all time winningest team in MLB, the Oakland Athletics. As an early aged fan I learned about some of the A's baseball legends which won 3 World Series in the early 70's, the whimsical wonders of Billy Ball in the early 80's, a Battle of the Bay World Series with the likes of the Bash Brothers, an MLB all time record setting 22 game season winning streak, and yes the unimaginable and economical major league reconstruction and demonstration of Billy Bean's Money Ball! And through it all I've grown to be a middles aged fanatic who has seen the world through the eyes of a retired US Navy Chief Petty Officer and Salvage Diver, a 7 year San Antonio resident- who is hear to stay- and a blissfully and spiritually married man with a wonderfully, adoring wife who has herself become an Athletics fan! Although the Oakland A's- after beating the Texas Rangers on the last day of the season for the Western Division crown- fell one game shy of the 2012 ACLS, they are just beginning to develope as A DYNASTY IN THE MAKING! As a San Antonio baseball fanatic who would love to see the Oakland Athletics answer the call of a city who not only is primed and ready for an MLB franchise, but just proved they can- 75,000 strong- flock to the presently, football designed Alamo Dome and proudly cheer for a pair of over priced spring training games. Since we now have the MLB's permission for this outstanding franchise- who is once again primed and ready to dominate the AL West for at least a decade to come- to consider inviting other cities proposals to relocate to; can Judge Nelson Wolf, Mayor Castro, all business owners considered, and San Antonio residents help to make what would be this San Antonio residents dream come true? Can we bring MLB to Texas for the third time and make the San Antonio Athletics a reality for 2017? The title of this forum begs the question... Lets make some noise San Antonio baseball fans!!!
MLBinSA2017, great post.
I took my sons and a friend to the Rangers/Padres game on Saturday because I wanted to show my support for MLB in San Antonio.
Attendance was 40,569 at the Saturday game I attended, so I think San Antonio did well.
My sons had a great time!
I hope we get a team, but when we do, I hope they play somewhere other than the AlamoDome; we will need to build a new ball park, I think.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:00 AM

838 posts, read 1,204,506 times
There are two problems with bringing MLB to San Antonio. First, the lack of corporate sponsorship here, there just aren't enough big companies to sponsor another major league franchise. Second, the 40,000 that attended Saturday aren't likely to do that for 81 regular season games. If the team is winning, this town may average 20,000 - 25,000. But, if the team isn't winning, I think 10,000 a game is a more realistic number. So, we would end up just like every other midsize market in 2-3 years, not able to compete for free agents and consequently not able to compete in the standings. Then, 2-3 years down the road, the team would be looking to leave for greener pastures and we wouldn't even be finished paying off the enhancements we made to the ballpark.

Personally, baseball is the one sport of the big 4 sports that is the same to me watching the minor leagues as it is watching the major league. In fact, I actually think I prefer watching minor league baseball to the majors. I think the Missions are just fine.

YMMV

Old 04-01-2013, 12:01 PM

923 posts, read 1,494,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
There are two problems with bringing MLB to San Antonio. First, the lack of corporate sponsorship here, there just aren't enough big companies to sponsor another major league franchise.
Well, they had sponsors for this past weekend, especially HEB. And we've been supporting the Spurs just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
Second, the 40,000 that attended Saturday aren't likely to do that for 81 regular season games.
Speaking for myself, I would be attending every home game I could, regardless of their record.

Btw, I even bought a newspaper on Sunday, just to read the coverage of the game and clip out the box score; and I haven't bought a copy of the Express News in a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio