U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-01-2021, 05:27 AM
 
109 posts, read 56,788 times
Reputation: 124

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo33 View Post
Those neighborhoods unfortunately are zoned to one of the worst performing high schools in Northside ISD along with the surrounding feeder schools. Warren is okay(Timber Ridge) as well as Jordan Middle School, but Holmes (Piper Meadow, Thunderbird Hills and Inspiration Hills) is at the bottom along with the surrounding Middle Schools that feed in to the HS ( Sul Ross and Pat Neff.)

Leon Valley is a little better with the elementary feeders and Marshall HS(just a hair better than Holmes) but still zoned to Neff.
I thought Warren was one of the better high schools and Holmes was above-average
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-01-2021, 06:44 AM
 
29 posts, read 15,035 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Janetty View Post
I thought Warren was one of the better high schools and Holmes was above-average
There about 3 tiers in the Northside ISD as far as High Schools:

I: O'Connor, Brandeis, Harlan
II: Brennan, Clark, Warren, Marshall
III: Taft, Stevens, Holmes, Jay

-Could be an argument for placing Clark in the top tier but its an older school than the rest and pulls from lower income apartments from the Medical Center area. Athetics have suffered a bit and other charter options in the area such as the highly rated BASIS- Shavano a few miles away.

- You could also make an argument for Brennan as well in the top tier. Its attendance zone pulls from mostly middle and upper middle class areas with solid athletic programs since opening in the mid 2000s.


Warren is the middle of the pack. An above average public school nonetheless with good athletic program and benefits from a solid middle class attendance zone. The older areas nearby are mostly zoned to Taft which has fallen drastically in the past 15 years.

Holmes is definitely bottom tier. 2nd worst performing school in the district in my opinion.

Honestly I believe Jay should be in a tier all by itself. Roosevelt in North East ISD has similar issues. Lee HS would be Holmes counter part in NEISD. Good magnet program but the regular school kids are on the rough side due to the attendance zone, private and charter options nearby(any Castle Hills kids zoned to Lee are mostly private and many attend nearby Antonian Prep)
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2021, 06:51 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX via San Antonio, TX
9,619 posts, read 12,315,751 times
Reputation: 5505
As a Clark alum it will always be top tier.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2021, 07:44 AM
 
4,030 posts, read 6,541,767 times
Reputation: 3022
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo33 View Post
There about 3 tiers in the Northside ISD as far as High Schools:

I: O'Connor, Brandeis, Harlan
II: Brennan, Clark, Warren, Marshall
III: Taft, Stevens, Holmes, Jay

-Could be an argument for placing Clark in the top tier but its an older school than the rest and pulls from lower income apartments from the Medical Center area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
As a Clark alum it will always be top tier.
Medical Center area is zoned to Marshall. Clark is mostly east of IH10, until you get into the northern extremity of the boundary in the Leon Springs area.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2021, 08:39 AM
 
2,366 posts, read 3,175,151 times
Reputation: 4837
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
As a Clark alum it will always be top tier.
Ditto!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2021, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX via San Antonio, TX
9,619 posts, read 12,315,751 times
Reputation: 5505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Medical Center area is zoned to Marshall. Clark is mostly east of IH10, until you get into the northern extremity of the boundary in the Leon Springs area.
I remember in high school when they moved the boundary a bit further west, maybe like Babcock and I had a slight almost heart attack thinking I was going to have to go to Marshall.

However, you're a bit off base. Clark does pull some from the Medical Center. It looks like, from this map that the Medical Center is divided. We have a big ego when it comes to athletics, but let's me honest, we've never been top athletes. And Clark may have lost some kids to Basis. I might move Taft up a bit, given they have Comm Arts as a magnet. And don't forget Health Careers as a great option. While Jay and Holmes pull from lower income areas of the city, my understanding is that they may have some great early college and career oriented options. I often times wonder what the options are for students who may be zoned for places like Brandeis and Clark but want to be in the trades have the opportunity to participate.

From my far flung Austin observations (and working in the school system as an adult) NISD does a really good job at drawing boundaries for equity. I remember Rawlinson opening in high school and moaning and groaning going on about Shavano Park kids still having to go to Hobby while my family over by Babcock and De Zavala got to got to go to Rawlinson. This is pretty similar in the case of Clark versus Marshall. I believe many of the apartment complexes that pull toward Clark (and McDermott Elementary) are used by Catholic Charities to serve their refugee populations. My understanding is that lots of Clark (and it's feeder schools) get their title one kids from that area and then the Huebner and Vance Jackson area right by Hobby. (I'll add that I'm not saying that title 1 kids make the school lesser) I can't speak to the title one populations by Marshall, though. And I don't know anything about Harlan. That's the AR high school, no? (It' also interesting that it's literally the furthest west and on the Medina Valley boundary line).

However, let's be honest, this is a zombie thread that got resurrected by a poster who wanted to add in some positive feedback for their neighborhood.

Last edited by ashbeeigh; 04-01-2021 at 08:54 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2021, 09:51 AM
 
29 posts, read 15,035 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I remember in high school when they moved the boundary a bit further west, maybe like Babcock and I had a slight almost heart attack thinking I was going to have to go to Marshall.

However, you're a bit off base. Clark does pull some from the Medical Center. It looks like, from this map that the Medical Center is divided. We have a big ego when it comes to athletics, but let's me honest, we've never been top athletes. And Clark may have lost some kids to Basis. I might move Taft up a bit, given they have Comm Arts as a magnet. And don't forget Health Careers as a great option. While Jay and Holmes pull from lower income areas of the city, my understanding is that they may have some great early college and career oriented options. I often times wonder what the options are for students who may be zoned for places like Brandeis and Clark but want to be in the trades have the opportunity to participate.

From my far flung Austin observations (and working in the school system as an adult) NISD does a really good job at drawing boundaries for equity. I remember Rawlinson opening in high school and moaning and groaning going on about Shavano Park kids still having to go to Hobby while my family over by Babcock and De Zavala got to got to go to Rawlinson. This is pretty similar in the case of Clark versus Marshall. I believe many of the apartment complexes that pull toward Clark (and McDermott Elementary) are used by Catholic Charities to serve their refugee populations. My understanding is that lots of Clark (and it's feeder schools) get their title one kids from that area and then the Huebner and Vance Jackson area right by Hobby. (I'll add that I'm not saying that title 1 kids make the school lesser) I can't speak to the title one populations by Marshall, though. And I don't know anything about Harlan. That's the AR high school, no? (It' also interesting that it's literally the furthest west and on the Medina Valley boundary line).

However, let's be honest, this is a zombie thread that got resurrected by a poster who wanted to add in some positive feedback for their neighborhood.
Did not mean to include Business Careers, Comm Arts or the Science schools because these are great magnet schools that accepts kids thought the district. My younger cousins that were zoned to Holmes went to Comm Arts at Taft and the Science and Eng. at Jay.

Marshall pulls from the Medical Center west of Fredericksburg except a small sliver east of Fred Rd. around the Data Point area apartments between Wurzbach and Medical Drive. North of Wurzbach and Hamilton-Wolfe is Clark attendance zone. Marshall does get some of the refugee population along the Datapoint/Parkdale area and the two apartment complexes along Gardendale across the street from Auburn Creek( which is Clark). I'm sure the.distrxt did this as a way to even it out between the two schools

If I'm not mistaken most if not all of AR kids are zoned to Taft with a few at Brennan. It's the area inside of 1604 around Les Harrison and Timber Path by Zachary which is bringing down the ratings. Zachary Middle School went from one of the best middle school in the 90s to becomimg one of the worst in less than a decade especially when Connally opened.

Harlan is for the new Kallison Ranch area around the school,new subdivisions behind Alamo Ranch and the new Stevens Ranch area off Potranco close to TX 211.

But I will say there are definitely some gems to be found in Inspiration Hills and Thunderbird Hills.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2021, 10:12 AM
 
109 posts, read 56,788 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo33 View Post
There about 3 tiers in the Northside ISD as far as High Schools:

I: O'Connor, Brandeis, Harlan
II: Brennan, Clark, Warren, Marshall
III: Taft, Stevens, Holmes, Jay

-Could be an argument for placing Clark in the top tier but its an older school than the rest and pulls from lower income apartments from the Medical Center area. Athetics have suffered a bit and other charter options in the area such as the highly rated BASIS- Shavano a few miles away.

- You could also make an argument for Brennan as well in the top tier. Its attendance zone pulls from mostly middle and upper middle class areas with solid athletic programs since opening in the mid 2000s.


Warren is the middle of the pack. An above average public school nonetheless with good athletic program and benefits from a solid middle class attendance zone. The older areas nearby are mostly zoned to Taft which has fallen drastically in the past 15 years.

Holmes is definitely bottom tier. 2nd worst performing school in the district in my opinion.

Honestly I believe Jay should be in a tier all by itself. Roosevelt in North East ISD has similar issues. Lee HS would be Holmes counter part in NEISD. Good magnet program but the regular school kids are on the rough side due to the attendance zone, private and charter options nearby(any Castle Hills kids zoned to Lee are mostly private and many attend nearby Antonian Prep)
Oh ok, I meant in relation to the entire city not just nisd.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2021, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX via San Antonio, TX
9,619 posts, read 12,315,751 times
Reputation: 5505
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo33 View Post

If I'm not mistaken most if not all of AR kids are zoned to Taft with a few at Brennan. It's the area inside of 1604 around Les Harrison and Timber Path by Zachary which is bringing down the ratings. Zachary Middle School went from one of the best middle school in the 90s to becomimg one of the worst in less than a decade especially when Connally opened.

Harlan is for the new Kallison Ranch area around the school,new subdivisions behind Alamo Ranch and the new Stevens Ranch area off Potranco close to TX 211.
.
Ahh, see. They did that thing where the new kids have to go to the old school. That's what I like about NISD and their boundaries.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2021, 06:25 PM
 
11 posts, read 5,892 times
Reputation: 11
Def get an inspection during yo option period! A lot of Buys are waiving inspections, which is a big mistake.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top