U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 03:27 PM

6,134 posts, read 8,592,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceDoc View Post
The thought is that Alamo Ranch has the beginnings of another community similar to SO. Hope the trend continues all over town.
Yikes! I hope you're not saying you hope there are Alamo Ranches all over SA. That would severely diminish the appeal that the city has to so many other people that don't really like "pre-planned" communities (i.e. King William, Monte Vista, Alamo Heights, etc.)

Not saying their bad, but if everything were like Alamo Ranch/Stone Oak that would kind of stink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 01:11 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,606,962 times
If I may, I believe that the "master planned community" route is (arguably) better than just allowing random development to occur. However, the concept of what makes such a community varies wildly. If you look at the history of the term, you'll eventually arrive at a point in time during which a small town called Reston was established in Northern Virginia (during the '60s, I think). The point of Reston was to provide a self-sustaining community that focused on personal relationships, abundant amenities, and plenty of "green space." (I should note that this model worked for a time, but the current Reston is a corporate boomtown with a spectacular mix of commercial and residential development--but the objectives put forth during the early days of the "village" are difficult to spot.)

I had the good fortune to live in a community called "Ashburn Village," located approximately 35 miles from Washington DC in Northern VA. The community was constructed around a small shopping center that contained a grocery store (Giant), gas station, a local pub, typical storefronts (cleaners, hair cutting place, etc.), and some restaurants (fast food, mostly...though Ruby Tuesday's and another joint came later). Over the course of 10 years or so, the community grew to over 5,000 residences (some single family, others townhouses, and a couple of apartment/condo complexes). The community boasted several "lakes" and a spectacular fitness facility--all of which was free for use by Ashburn Village residents. (Take a look at the community on Google Maps...Zip code is 20147...you'll see Ashburn Village Blvd. and some lakes...)

My wife and I chose Alamo Ranch due to a strong similarity to Ashburn Village in its early days. Naturally, the lakes aren't here, but that's a good thing since they'd be dry most of the year anyway. However, there is a good amount of planning that has gone into this community (AR). The only thing that seems to be lacking is a mid-sized shopping center--in the HEART of the community. Sure, we have the AR Shopping Center, but it's ginormous and is not centrally located. I have said it before (on this forum and to anyone else who will listen) that the community's shopping doesn't have to be so large and that it should be central to a specific portion of the population.

Instead, we (San Antonio) keep building monolithic shopping centers along major roadways (1604, Stone Oak Parkway, 410, I-10, etc.) and wonder why traffic is so bad. It's simply due to the fact that many people from surrounding "master-planned communities" is driving to get daily neccessities like food and gas. There is a place for other stuff (clothes, movies, consumer electronics, etc.), but I would submit that they don't necessarily need to be "kissing cousins" as seems to be the case so often around here.

Don't get me wrong--I like it here. I have no intention of moving. I just call things as I see it. San Antonio has a lot of promise, but it has to begin what is (in other areas of the country) called "smart growth." The current method of competing for the "largest" or "biggest" shopping center has to end at some point...as others have said, how many Taco Cabanas, Whataburgers, H-E-Bs, etc. can a square mile or two support? The feeling of centralized community is missing in this model, and in my opinion is one of the reasons many folks keep moving further and further out.

--Dim

Old 05-24-2009, 10:17 AM

4 posts, read 15,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
DnC ~ I'm curious, you say "a new school just opening right outside the neighborhood". Are you referring to the elementary &/or middle school(s) or the high school? If the high school, hopefully the salespeople explained to you that the boundaries for the HS do not include AR.

Welcome to SA and I'm sure you'll love AR!!!

Thanks. Well, we are in a new area south of Alamo Parkway 417. There is only the elementary school there and it will open this year for the first time. It is right next to the Amenities Park that has the fancy pool and football/soccer field. Don't know the name of the school. We will be living on Albert Martin, so whichever of the XXXX of Alamo Ranch areas that is (I know how clueless that all sounds! We arrived in San Ant on the 18th of Mar, looked at a few zillion places and bought this one on the 22st. All those names sort of ru together... but I do know we loved the neighborhood after spending a couples days looking around and meeting quite a few folks. I figure we'll get the names all straight when we get there! haha).

Anyway, thanks for the friendly replies!

David and Charmaine (writing from Riyadh)

Old 05-25-2009, 04:18 PM

260 posts, read 1,021,138 times
You should all check out and join Welcome to the Ranch! It's actually a useful idea.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:33 PM

993 posts, read 2,187,815 times
Hi dimwit I relocated from NOVA as well. Springfield to be exact. So I can I get into the Alamo Ranch community for 215,000$ for a SFH?

Old 05-26-2009, 06:25 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,606,962 times
Newk,

You should have little difficulty getting into AR at that price point. However, you may be looking at a slightly smaller home in some of the neighborhoods. Check out DR Horton, Meritage, and Medallion for starters and move to the "other side" for a comparison of prices.

--Dim

Old 06-08-2009, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,731 times
Alamo Ranch... Where is the HOA office??? I have lived here for 1 year and want to pick up my pool key. Please Help office in the AR is closed today.

Thanks.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:56 PM

410 posts, read 1,140,455 times
It's in the Del Webb area:

4550 Del Webb Blvd
San Antonio, TX. 78253
P: 210-679-0303

Old 11-11-2009, 06:20 PM

11 posts, read 32,062 times
Default got the T-shirt

Been there done that in SO. AR has proven to be WAY better than Stone Oak for me! I lived in Stone Oak for 1+ year and took a considerable hit $$ to sell my home and get out. I love Woodbury Grant and glad I came here. Hope others are experiencing the same!

Old 11-11-2009, 06:24 PM

11 posts, read 32,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Yikes! I hope you're not saying you hope there are Alamo Ranches all over SA. That would severely diminish the appeal that the city has to so many other people that don't really like "pre-planned" communities (i.e. King William, Monte Vista, Alamo Heights, etc.)

Not saying their bad, but if everything were like Alamo Ranch/Stone Oak that would kind of stink.
Some of us wish it was more like those (AR and SO) and not like the others
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or