U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2013, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 6,277 times

Advertisements

Okay so we are looking into buying a house in Stonefield Estates, it backs up to a greenbelt where apparently the French Creek flows to. According to the FEMA website, it's French Creek Tributary 4 - right between Zone AY1053 and AY0955 (FEMA Panel: 48029C0220G). Can anyone explain what this really means to me? According to this website: SARA GIS <~ The blue area only backs up to the back of the property.

What is the likelihood that the home would be flooded? After speaking with a homeowners insurance agency, they said flood insurance wouldn't be required.

To be honest, it all makes me rather nervous!

We are new to the area if you cannot tell, previously from Florida and are all too used to Hurricanes and all that entails but not really flooding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 02:50 PM

5,621 posts, read 13,018,903 times
I've never heard of any flooding in that area. From the topo maps I have it doesn't appear that flooding will be an issue but occasionally we do get heavy downpours. I'd be more concerned with the build quality of the home though. That subdivision was a KB subdivision and it was built when all they cared about was closing the house as quick as possible. I strongly suggest a home inspection and make sure the inspector checks the window seals REAL CLOSE. I'd recommend a wet test as the seals on those windows they used were crap with leaks common before the H/O ever closed. Structural damage will occur if leaking. And since he's going to wet test the windows, have him wet test the outside door seals, yet another KB weak point. The window maker was Champion out of New Braunsfels and the door maker was Davidson who is long gone now.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:14 PM

2 posts, read 6,277 times
Thank you for the advice!! The home was recently "flipped" and a lot of updating was done. And by a lot, I really do mean it's like a brand new house with the "frame" of an old house. I think they replaced all the windows, because they are now double pane - we are renting a house a couple streets over and the windows here are definitely NOT double pane. I'll stop by and ask the neighbors, I'm sure they would've noticed such a thing going on next door.

The insurance company we went with said there was a claim on the roof in 2010, so going to ask the inspector to take an extra good look at that to make sure it was repaired. My only other concern was that of the flooding. That's great news. :P

Old 04-16-2013, 04:16 PM

4,149 posts, read 9,323,921 times
Your homeowners insurance is going to be the one with the answer. Even if you see creeks or drainage, it doesn't mean it's in a flood zone. If they're OK issuing you insurance, and your mortgage company doesn't require flood insurance, you're probably OK. Always do your due diligence just in case, as those lines can change.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:17 PM

37 posts, read 79,153 times
I work as a Civil Engineers, so I have some dealings with FEMA flood plain maps.

FEMA flood zone maps look pretty intimidating on their surface, but once you get used to them, they are actually pretty simple. Take a look in the upper right hand corner of the map, and there you will find the map legend. Per the map, all of the colored areas are a ‘special flood hazard area’, these are areas are part of a 100 year flood plain. So each year, there is 1 chance in 100 that a sizable flood will occur, and the boundaries of that flood are shown on the map. The lines across these special areas with the numbers are the expected flood water level expressed as feet above sea level.

All of the non-shaded areas of the map are part of flood zone ‘x’. These areas are part of the 500 year flood plain. This means that every year there is once chance in 500 that these areas will flood. Flood insurance is not required in these areas, as the chance of flooding is very minimal.

It sounds like your house backs up to a 100 year flood plain. The map you linked to was done in 2010, so those flood plains should be pretty well defined. Your house should be ok, but if your back yard slopes down to the creek, you may have some fence damage in high water years.

Last edited by CA Alan; 04-16-2013 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: formatting

Old 04-16-2013, 05:31 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,762,068 times
My house is in a flood plain and we knew that when we bought. Your homeowner's insurance policy issuer will know. An investigative call should be made. They will know.

One issue that I had to examine was the "Ultimate Flood Plain" vs the 100 year flood plain. In an area not fully developed, the two could have different contours with the current 100 year contour at a slightly lower value.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:47 AM

206 posts, read 390,134 times
Would you have any neighbors that were here in 98 or 2001? They would be able to tell you how the water was, first hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio