Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 05:13 PM

146 posts, read 246,727 times

Advertisements

Based on your interests, it sounds like San Antonio might be a good fit. Ignore the naysayers.

With the rise of online services (e.g. costar, loopnet, etc.) real estate research isn't what it used to be. NAI Reoc has a researcher on staff (Kim Gatley) but most firms do not. A larger instituitional real estate firm like USAA probably has researchers.

To me it seems like there are a lot of potential jobs, but a lot can depend on your own networking. If you are a self-starter, there are lots of opporunities.

It can be daunting to re-invent in your 50s, but I say you should really think about it.

Can you come visit for a couple weeks? I have to say that being here would make a big difference. You can spend $50 to get a PO Box and get a local free phone number with voicemail on google voice. Having a local address and phone number on your resume might help to set up some interviews.

Get all of your contacts updated on linkedin and look into your network to see who you know lives (or lived) in San Antonio.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 08:30 AM

216 posts, read 398,581 times
Come on down we'd love to have you. I don't know if I would suggest this weekend since it is Fiesta, a lot of fun if you can find a place to stay. As far a Spanish speaking it would depend on the job. A lot of HR jobs here would probably want it, but you're not looking for that. Just come down take a look around I think you'll like what you see. I was born and raised here and lived all my 63 years within 30 miles of SA (except for about a year and a half in Orlando). Let us know wha cha tink after your visit.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:18 AM

287 posts, read 598,651 times
Don't move without a job or at the very least some good prospects lined up... most companies will look at your out of state phone and address as a potential "will you pay my moving expenses?".

Get ready for relentless heat and very very short winters. If you don't like winter, you're going to love it here. The week long winter and back to summer we go. We've been in stage 2 water restrictions since last year this time and won't get enough rain to get us out anytime soon.

Traffic traffic traffic... plan on at least 20 minutes everywhere you go...spend $100 bucks on a gps unit and save yourself the hassle of trying to drive while looking at directions you scribbled on a piece of paper. The last thing we need is another idiot cutting us off because they almost went past their exit from the left lane. And don't just leave the gps unit stuck to the windshield, San Antonio has one of the highest crime rates in the country for a reason. LEAVE NOTHING of value sitting "in the open" in your car. Trunk or leave it at home.

No you don't need to know spanish, but you're going be curious what a lot of people are talking about. There may also be a lot of people willing to do the same job for cheaper then what you want to get paid for it, hence the have something lined up before you arrive blind.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:44 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,176,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbrewmeister View Post
San Antonio has one of the highest crime rates in the country for a reason.
Whoa there...

Yes, for property crime, we're in the top 10 for large cities (2011 statistics). But the bulk of that is in the petty theft/larceny subcategory. For violent crime as well as burglaries and auto thefts, we're way down the list.

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Admittedly, your comment was about theft, but the statement "San Antonio has one of the highest crime rates in the country" is entirely misleading and inaccurate.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:28 PM

340 posts, read 586,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbrewmeister View Post
Don't move without a job or at the very least some good prospects lined up... most companies will look at your out of state phone and address as a potential "will you pay my moving expenses?".

Get ready for relentless heat and very very short winters. If you don't like winter, you're going to love it here. The week long winter and back to summer we go. We've been in stage 2 water restrictions since last year this time and won't get enough rain to get us out anytime soon.

Traffic traffic traffic... plan on at least 20 minutes everywhere you go...spend $100 bucks on a gps unit and save yourself the hassle of trying to drive while looking at directions you scribbled on a piece of paper. The last thing we need is another idiot cutting us off because they almost went past their exit from the left lane. And don't just leave the gps unit stuck to the windshield, San Antonio has one of the highest crime rates in the country for a reason. LEAVE NOTHING of value sitting "in the open" in your car. Trunk or leave it at home.

No you don't need to know spanish, but you're going be curious what a lot of people are talking about. There may also be a lot of people willing to do the same job for cheaper then what you want to get paid for it, hence the have something lined up before you arrive blind.
I'm sorry, but that post is one hyperbolic statement after hyperbolic statement. Each one becoming an even more extreme fallacy.

Winter is one week and then it's summer. So, for 51 weeks it's summer weather but one week it's winter. Do you honestly believe that? It's just such a mind numbling statement.

Traffic is so bad that at all times it takes 20 minutes to get anywhere? What? That's not even remotely true.

The crime rate is one of highest in the nation? Not that's not true on the least. As texhwyman pointed out, aside from property crime, SA's crime rate is relatively low. Even if you included the property crime figures, SA's overall crime rate is pretty low for a city its size.
And guess what, the advice of "don't leave valuables in plain sight" can be said for evey makor city in this country. in fact, it is.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:41 PM

Just to add, of the all the cities with a population of 500,000 or more, San Antonio was the 11th safest city behind Denver at ten.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:05 PM

112 posts, read 179,310 times
But our air is horrible... anyone see that on the news today? I never knew that before moving here and it explains why my asthmatic daughter moved away.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:48 PM

That had more to do with the smoke coming up from Central America.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:03 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,061,893 times
That's even worse..nothing we can do about that. The air is horrible, let's call a spade... a spade.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
That's even worse..nothing we can do about that. The air is horrible, let's call a spade... a spade.
Let's call a spade a spade. You're trying to spin it to be something worse than it is. The air isn't terrible just because of an anominally that effects a large area of the US including San Antonio. I can't remember the last ozone alert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio