U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 01:49 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,344,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
I would venture to guess that those comparing us to California came here from CA. That is one of the more irritating things about the west coast, and it is not limited to CA. Washington and Oregon natives also seem to suffer from the same West Coast loyalty. At a previous job location, one coworker was from the Tacoma, WA area, and for two straight years, no matter how a conversation started, or what was being discussed, in short order she would revert to the standby of "But, in Washington....." and then explain all the ways that Washington state was superior. Got old really fast.
That's not just a west coast thing. Every one, from every where tends to do that, particularly if it's their first time living away from their "home" region. Yes, even Texans. Those who've lived in multiple places (states, countries) tend to do it much less as they begin to realize that everywhere has its pros and cons and it's all a matter of adapting to the new place.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:52 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,344,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
To me, the size of SA is a negative, and by that I mean the sprawl. I live just north of downtown but I have a family member on the SW side and she has a friend on the NE side and it's a 40 minute trip to visit, if there is no traffic! Kind of crazy!
Sprawl in Austin is insane. Difference is that the city limits of Austin are much smaller, and the sprawl communities are incorporated. Here, it's mostly all one big city.

But yes, I dislike the sprawl, hence why I avoid it by sticking close to downtown as much as possible. We do have friends in all parts of town and see them when we can, but yeah, driving 45 minutes is annoying.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:54 PM

818 posts, read 979,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icenice View Post
My source? The US Census. I'd inquire about your sources but I think we all know where you got them from.

Would also love to know the source telling you no other texas metro has illegal immigrants. Should we assume the same source as before?
I am sure lots of other Texas metros have illegal aliens but not on par with San Antonio. Of course, I am sure your source (which clearly can't accurately account for illegals) already told you that. Are you seriously trying to make the argument that ANY other metro in Texas has a comparable percentage of illegal aliens to San Antonio? I will grant you that there are likely several border towns that are on par with San Antonio but Austin, Houston, Dallas? Probably not.

While I will admit my opinion is anecdotal, it is based on some pretty substantial circumstantial evidence. I would say any opinion contrary to that would have to be based on some pretty strong hallucinogens.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:07 PM

17 posts, read 26,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
I am sure lots of other Texas metros have illegal aliens but not on par with San Antonio. Of course, I am sure your source (which clearly can't accurately account for illegals) already told you that. Are you seriously trying to make the argument that ANY other metro in Texas has a comparable percentage of illegal aliens to San Antonio? I will grant you that there are likely several border towns that are on par with San Antonio but Austin, Houston, Dallas? Probably not.

While I will admit my opinion is anecdotal, it is based on some pretty substantial circumstantial evidence. I would say any opinion contrary to that would have to be based on some pretty strong hallucinogens.
Yes, those two metro areas with three times the overall population of San Antonio, with way more construction jobs and inticing jobs for illegals, all together, have less illegals than San Antonio. Because... oh, your made up anecdotal evidence.

Great job.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:15 PM

7,628 posts, read 14,318,986 times
Quote:
You'd be wrong though in thinking SA doesn't have its share of "imports."

Just look at this interactive map.

American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes

Click on Bexar county and you'll see what I mean.

Also, as the data on this site shows, nearly half of San Antonio's metro growth comes from domestic miragtion.

Percentage wise, both metros have very similar yearly domestic migration growth. Not all the time but a lot of the time.
Yes, but with 4 military bases in SA, we draw a LOT of that from active duty folks moving in and out on constant rotation....where as Austin's base closed YEARS ago. One reason SA has done so well with the housing market when things were much more grim everywhere else....you get no say on when you PCS and where to!

Old 05-20-2013, 02:16 PM

818 posts, read 979,322 times
Quote:
Yes, those two metro areas with three times the overall population of San Antonio, with way more construction jobs and inticing jobs for illegals, all together, have less illegals than San Antonio. Because... oh, your made up anecdotal evidence.

Great job.
You might want to reread my statement, I know how you hate ignorance. I said a higher PERCENTAGE of illegals not a higher number of illegal aliens.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Yes, but with 4 military bases in SA, we draw a LOT of that from active duty folks moving in and out on constant rotation....where as Austin's base closed YEARS ago. One reason SA has done so well with the housing market when things were much more grim everywhere else....you get no say on when you PCS and where to!
Less than 20% of annual domestic migrâion stems from military pcs.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:59 PM

112 posts, read 153,225 times
As far as our housing market, we have five friends who had to leave behind rentals due to their homes losing value, as did ours. It's better, yes, but we would still have to bring money to closing. I'm hoping that it keeps improving.
I'm curious how Austin's fared after the bubble burst.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:10 PM

7,628 posts, read 14,318,986 times
Quote:
Less than 20% of annual domestic migrâion stems from military pcs.
That is ONE in every FIVE...and HUGE!!! You think what you will...but the military bases (active duty, retired and civil service employees) have made a HUGE difference in the SA economy, and if you don't believe it...just imagine this city with 20% less STABLE INCOME!!! The fact sequestration is going to make those that are civil service take aprox 11 days off without pay should show just how much an effect it has in the 4th qtr stats since the leave without pay starts 8 Jul 13!

It's not all about "body counts" but about a paycheck every 2 weeks that keeps SA STRONG!

Old 05-20-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
That is ONE in every FIVE...and HUGE!!! You think what you will...but the military bases (active duty, retired and civil service employees) have made a HUGE difference in the SA economy, and if you don't believe it...just imagine this city with 20% less STABLE INCOME!!! The fact sequestration is going to make those that are civil service take aprox 11 days off without pay should show just how much an effect it has in the 4th qtr stats since the leave without pay starts 8 Jul 13!

It's not all about "body counts" but about a paycheck every 2 weeks that keeps SA STRONG!
Wait, I think you've misunderstood me. I'm not arguing against the military nor am I diminishing its impact on our city now or in the past.

That wasn't my point at all when introducing the domestic migration numbers into the discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio