Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 05:58 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,741,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
When you live in Texas long enough, you realize San Antonio pretty much has the same qualities as Austin -- same climate, hill country, lots of colleges, etc. But more history and infrastructure of a larger city. And cheaper cost of living. It's really a gem, took a while for me to realize it but now I really love the city and enjoy visiting. Although it is already booming, I wouldn't be surprised if someday it becomes trendy and expensive like Austin. I don't want to see that happen, but I can imagine that it might.
Austin is much prettier to me, and more hilly. I know people always refer to SA as "hill country" but I don't think of it as such until you head out of San Antonio to the north. My Grandma lived in Spring Branch for the last 20 years of her life, and I've had friends in Boerne and Canyon Lake and so forth, to me that is "hill country" and you can see it from the farthest Northern points of SA, sure, but overall SA seems pretty flat. Not Dallas flat and not nearly as flat as where I grew up (near Corpus), mind you, but I do see a pretty big difference in Austin's aesthetic appeal just from driving through or around Austin vs here.

To me, the size of SA is a negative, and by that I mean the sprawl. I live just north of downtown but I have a family member on the SW side and she has a friend on the NE side and it's a 40 minute trip to visit, if there is no traffic! Kind of crazy!

Old 05-19-2013, 06:12 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,438,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Austin is much prettier to me, and more hilly. I know people always refer to SA as "hill country" but I don't think of it as such until you head out of San Antonio to the north. My Grandma lived in Spring Branch for the last 20 years of her life, and I've had friends in Boerne and Canyon Lake and so forth, to me that is "hill country" and you can see it from the farthest Northern points of SA, sure, but overall SA seems pretty flat. Not Dallas flat and not nearly as flat as where I grew up (near Corpus), mind you, but I do see a pretty big difference in Austin's aesthetic appeal just from driving through or around Austin vs here.

To me, the size of SA is a negative, and by that I mean the sprawl. I live just north of downtown but I have a family member on the SW side and she has a friend on the NE side and it's a 40 minute trip to visit, if there is no traffic! Kind of crazy!
Have you seen the sprawl in Austin, all the way to Lakeway, or Round Rock?

Old 05-19-2013, 07:02 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,013 times
I bet the Austin forums do not have as many threads about us as we do about them.

That about sums it up all.

Bet those who do the most complaining, in either direction, never go out. Reminds me of those who also constantly compare us to California.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:16 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,449,871 times
I personally find Austin the home of more "imports" and SA the home to more "locals"...I think that alone will define the differences....Austin, IMHO is trying to become a "little CA" with all the influence of those that have migrated for a "lower cost of living"....where SA is more true to its roots...raw, "grounded" and interested in staying grounded. I see those choosing to live here happy they have the diversity an hour up the road, but not interested in duplicating that atmosphere.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:05 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
I bet the Austin forums do not have as many threads about us as we do about them.

That about sums it up all.

Bet those who do the most complaining, in either direction, never go out. Reminds me of those who also constantly compare us to California.
I would venture to guess that those comparing us to California came here from CA. That is one of the more irritating things about the west coast, and it is not limited to CA. Washington and Oregon natives also seem to suffer from the same West Coast loyalty. At a previous job location, one coworker was from the Tacoma, WA area, and for two straight years, no matter how a conversation started, or what was being discussed, in short order she would revert to the standby of "But, in Washington....." and then explain all the ways that Washington state was superior. Got old really fast.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:17 AM

838 posts, read 1,210,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I personally find Austin the home of more "imports" and SA the home to more "locals"...I think that alone will define the differences....Austin, IMHO is trying to become a "little CA" with all the influence of those that have migrated for a "lower cost of living"....where SA is more true to its roots...raw, "grounded" and interested in staying grounded. I see those choosing to live here happy they have the diversity an hour up the road, but not interested in duplicating that atmosphere.
I would argue that San Antonio is home to quite a few "imports" themselves. Where as Austin may fancy itself as "little CA", San Antonio fancies itself as "little Mexico".

Old 05-20-2013, 06:44 AM

112 posts, read 179,358 times
To us, Austin is much cleaner and more educated/forward-thinking. I understand the local culture here in SA is what makes it unique.
What I can't stand here any longer is the abuse/neglect of animal stories. Between that, the oppressive heat, and the litter problem, we're moving on.

Last edited by Readerfeeder; 05-20-2013 at 06:55 AM..

Old 05-20-2013, 10:35 AM

17 posts, read 30,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
I would argue that San Antonio is home to quite a few "imports" themselves. Where as Austin may fancy itself as "little CA", San Antonio fancies itself as "little Mexico".
Because I hate ignorance:

Annually, less than 10% of growth comes from international migration.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:37 AM

17 posts, read 30,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
You'd be wrong though in thinking SA doesn't have its share of "imports."

Just look at this interactive map.

American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes

Click on Bexar county and you'll see what I mean.

Also, as the data on this site shows, nearly half of San Antonio's metro growth comes from domestic miragtion.

Percentage wise, both metros have very similar yearly domestic migration growth. Not all the time but a lot of the time.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:36 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icenice View Post
Because I hate ignorance:

Annually, less than 10% of growth comes from international migration.
I would question the source of your numbers. I would also bet those numbers come with the disclaimer "Documented International Migration".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio