Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 04:55 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,194,708 times

Advertisements

The building going up behind the McDonalds @ 151 & Potranco is going to be a Shenanigan's Sports Bar & Lounge. It's also pretty big.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 03:51 AM

520 posts, read 781,917 times
I see that Dunkin Donuts and Baskin Robbins have a sign up outside 151 on Potranco.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:11 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
Gotta tell ya, I understand the NIMBY movement now, because I have a huge data center going up basically IN MY BACKYARD. Ugh. They clear-cut the rest of trees!! It just makes me so mad. Jerks. Couldn't they have left a skinny line of trees to block the view a little?? Why is that such a problem? I don't get it...I grew up in a place that was so conscious of that, they made it so that you couldn't build unless you left at least 25% of the original trees AND you had to replace several. Oh well. I moved here, right? I should have known better. Whatever.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:19 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,776,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Gotta tell ya, I understand the NIMBY movement now, because I have a huge data center going up basically IN MY BACKYARD. Ugh. They clear-cut the rest of trees!! It just makes me so mad. Jerks. Couldn't they have left a skinny line of trees to block the view a little?? Why is that such a problem? I don't get it...I grew up in a place that was so conscious of that, they made it so that you couldn't build unless you left at least 25% of the original trees AND you had to replace several. Oh well. I moved here, right? I should have known better. Whatever.
I am very much against cutting all of the trees down. It is a shame that it happens. Helotes used to have so many trees back when I was in High School. Now I see nothing but rooftops where there used to be treetops. Same for Stone Oak and various other areas along 1604.

As long San Antonio is growing and most people want new homes instead of buying into the existing homes market, this will continue to happen.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:57 AM

330 posts, read 587,625 times
Quote:
That is such a bummer. I don't know why we allow crappy clear cut development like that (and things like over-developed access roads and cluttered signage, yuck) when there are viable alternatives. Are you in city limits? Maybe get some neighbors together and see if your city council person can help improve guidelines for future development.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionallyBlank View Post
That is such a bummer. I don't know why we allow crappy clear cut development like that (and things like over-developed access roads and cluttered signage, yuck) when there are viable alternatives. Are you in city limits? Maybe get some neighbors together and see if your city council person can help improve guidelines for future development.
You know what's funny about it all? We're in Westover Hills, which is a master-planned development by Marty Wender. There are guidelines for building, apparently, but I don't know whether those have been loosened or whether people just don't care. I've tried to contact him before but received no response.

WH is supposed to be a sort of upscale, aesthetically pleasing and overall, a xeriscaped, keeping-with-nature kind area. You can see it with other buildings like Capital Group, Hartford, Nationwide, etc...sort of hidden from the road, not so obvious. Frustrating to see companies like Cyrus One taking the cheapest way out. I should post a picture. It's tragic!

Old 03-07-2014, 02:07 PM

4,434 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Quote:
You know what's funny about it all? We're in Westover Hills, which is a master-planned development by Marty Wender. There are guidelines for building, apparently, but I don't know whether those have been loosened or whether people just don't care. I've tried to contact him before but received no response.

WH is supposed to be a sort of upscale, aesthetically pleasing and overall, a xeriscaped, keeping-with-nature kind area. You can see it with other buildings like Capital Group, Hartford, Nationwide, etc...sort of hidden from the road, not so obvious. Frustrating to see companies like Cyrus One taking the cheapest way out. I should post a picture. It's tragic!
Capital Group was awarded because they kept 65% of the lot natural. They have two small parking lots but they actually built there building over the main parking lot making it a one store garage.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:57 PM

135 posts, read 191,566 times
I feel your pain! I don't recognize my neighborhood anymore!

Old 03-08-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spursrock View Post
I feel your pain! I don't recognize my neighborhood anymore!
I wonder if we're in the same neighborhood Spursrock. LOL :-)

Old 03-08-2014, 09:03 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,258 times
I don't even understand the reason for that Valero on hunt. Before you know it we will have bumper to bumper traffic. Then a culebra meat market, goodwill, walmart in on WOH. It was nice to take a run in that area. Now I gotta find a different area to run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio