Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 04:59 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,983,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadleyzoo View Post
My understanding is that they will immediately be sent to euthanasia at the end of the day, but chances are high that San Antonio Pets Alive (who is in one of their buildings right on the same campus) will pull them and send them to foster (if they have someone with space) or to their cattery on Marbach.
Where did you get this "understanding?" I took a kitten my neighbor found there and at no time did they indicate that it would be euthanized. I don't see them doing that without being up front about it as there are other "no-kill" options out there that some people would prefer.

Unfortunately, many times these rumors are spread but have no foundation of truth about them. If that was a concern, I would recommend simply asking if it's so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 07:22 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,824,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Where did you get this "understanding?" I took a kitten my neighbor found there and at no time did they indicate that it would be euthanized. I don't see them doing that without being up front about it as there are other "no-kill" options out there that some people would prefer.

Unfortunately, many times these rumors are spread but have no foundation of truth about them. If that was a concern, I would recommend simply asking if it's so.
So my experience and what I read daily has no foundation or truth. You took a kitten one time, so your word is the truth and fact. The fact that I experienced the complete opposite must be an attempt at spreading rumors. Okay.

Like you said, if someone has a concern, they should definitely ask--a mistake I made with ACS once when we found a puppy we took to them.

The "no-kill" options we have in this city are always filled to the max and can only take in what they have space for--and every shelter in this city, no-kill or not, knows this. I worked at one in the past, so I know this to be a fact.

San Antonio Pets Alive is regularly posting on Facebook that they need adopters or fosters by end of the day on the day they post needing to place litters of kittens, puppies, dogs, cats, etc because they too are full---and they need people to help take in animals through fostering or adopting so they can open up more space in their kennels to pull more litters and other animals out of euthanasia (so, there's my "understanding"). If they get a reprieve from ACS to have additional time to find a foster or adopter they will post that too.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:28 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,983,056 times
Sorry, but not all animals are "immediately be(ing) sent to euthanasia at the end of the day" as you claim...

Hope for no-kill shelter in 2012 dies - San Antonio Express-News

While far from perfect, the fact that "about 35 percent of adoptable animals here are being saved" proves your "experience and what I read daily" doesn't have foundation or truth.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:02 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,091 times
I took two older puppies to ACS and they kept them for a couple of weeks even though one of the employees said they would be euthanized in 3 days. They probably would have kept them longer, but they were adopted before being killed.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:19 PM

905 posts, read 2,958,824 times
At ACS, Owner surrender pets may or may not get a 72 stray hold, all depends on the capacity of the facility at the time the animals are received. I don't know if this includes turning in a lost pet, but I bet the fall in the same category.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:13 AM

1,276 posts, read 3,824,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Sorry, but not all animals are "immediately be(ing) sent to euthanasia at the end of the day" as you claim...

Hope for no-kill shelter in 2012 dies - San Antonio Express-News

While far from perfect, the fact that "about 35 percent of adoptable animals here are being saved" proves your "experience and what I read daily" doesn't have foundation or truth.
You've proven my point with that article...that article states 35% of adoptable animals are being saved...that means 65% of the adoptable animals going through those doors were being euthanized.

I know the initiative to be a no-kill city by 2012 was axed, but the city still has a goal to still become a no-kill city. I didn't ask what new date they are using as their goal.

There is also a new facility being built where the old ACS was in Brackenridge and was told it is supposed to be open in October. It's the Paul Jolly Adoption Center. SAPA has been chosen as the contractor to run the facility.

I went yesterday to volunteer with San Antonio Pets Alive (who works together and in the same campus with Animal Care Services) and I asked for clarification on policies. I was told by SAPA that puppies and kittens brought in that are under 3 months old are not given any time w/ ACS. But SAPA does what they can to intervene and rescue and place in foster until these babies are old enough to be adopted--but there are times they have no space or volunteers to help foster and some of these animals do end up in euthanasia that day. Now I didn't ask about a litter brought in with a mama...because that was not what was originally asked at the beginning of this discussion.

SAPA is in need of people to volunteer...and people to foster. Especially at their Cattery on Marbach. My son and I went yesterday to help clean out cages...and holy moly there are kittens coming out of every nook and cranny it seems.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:36 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,616,690 times
Quote:
SAPA is in need of people to volunteer...and people to foster. Especially at
their Cattery on Marbach. My son and I went yesterday to help clean out
cages...and holy moly there are kittens coming out of every nook and cranny it
seems.
Really? Oh jeez. Isn't that the new Cattery and it's full already? Yes, my son and I are going to volunteer there maybe this fall after we come back from the summer.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:35 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,091 times
ADL is getting a new section built on so that it can hold more animals.
Animal Defense League pact OK's - San Antonio Express-News

Old 08-24-2014, 04:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,990 times
I'll take them!

Old 08-24-2014, 04:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,990 times
Text me at 8303020749 if you need me to take them. I have experience bottle feeding puppies and kittens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio