Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 06:44 PM

380 posts, read 1,276,356 times

Advertisements

I've read post after post about how SA needs to become this, how the people are the fattest, how we need to build more skyscrapers, how we need to blah blah blah...enough already!

I love SA the way it is, why do we need to change? People obviously come here because of what SA is, not because of what it can be.

Thoughts....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 06:54 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,784,449 times
I love it too..but I think you are mistaken when you say "people come here for what SA is".

A lot of people see a potential for SA to be something else. They see a lot of affordable land...then they see businesses moving in. These are all precursors to a booming city. Things are gonna change, whether we like it or not.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:18 PM

933 posts, read 1,972,352 times
Well, many moons ago, folks migrated East to West to find their fortunes.

Now it seems that given there are no more fortunes to be found out West that folks are migrating Eastward again...and SA is a great place to stop and stay...or merely rest your weary feet.

The East and West population centers have priced most people out of existence.

Take for example a phone call I received from a friend in Northern California.

Amongst many other economical issues, gas is currently hovering at $3.10 and $3.43 in the San Francisco Bay Area. OUCH!!!

Mind you we have only been here for about two weeks now, but we love this city, its people, its culture and yes its food too.

We are kicking ourselves for not moving here sooner, but no regrets.

Just great times and great friends as we explore all that SA has to offer.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:24 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,784,449 times
Those are typical gas prices either in SoCal or NorCal. The only state higher is Hawaii. Spent 5 years in San Diego.

I'm here in San Jose on business for a few days...lots of houses for sale. Where are they going? Care to take a guess??

You're right...a lot are moving to TX. Not necessarily SA..but a lot are moving to TX.

We did the same.

Last edited by firstclassflyer; 10-30-2007 at 07:38 PM..

Old 10-30-2007, 08:30 PM

47 posts, read 227,743 times
I think slowly but surely this city is starting to change a bit. Now having Toyota here, NSA, Microsoft, and Washington Mutual and other companies setting up shop here that will help makes some changes here. In the past the city would not let jobs like that come here because of cheap labor I have read this in a book no kidding. But that's why this city has always been the way it is because of things like that.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:52 PM

323 posts, read 826,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StarRanch View Post
I've read post after post about how SA needs to become this, how the people are the fattest, how we need to build more skyscrapers, how we need to blah blah blah...enough already!

I love SA the way it is, why do we need to change? People obviously come here because of what SA is, not because of what it can be.

Thoughts....
I don't think that any given city needs to change. But I do think that change is eventually inevitable. People move in and out of a city, and this will definately have an effect on the make up of that city. As far as San Antonio changing, I can't comment, as I've only been here for just under a year.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:55 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,896,770 times
Human nature--there is always room for improvement. You can't fight it, so we all might as well get used to the fact that San Antonio is not a sleepy little town anymore. Maybe flights in and out will get cheaper!! Just as long as 10 is still 10, and not "the 10", I'm cool.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:01 PM

323 posts, read 826,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Human nature--there is always room for improvement. You can't fight it, so we all might as well get used to the fact that San Antonio is not a sleepy little town anymore. Maybe flights in and out will get cheaper!! Just as long as 10 is still 10, and not "the 10", I'm cool.
Don't count all your eggs yet...I work with at guy that says the 10, and the 410.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:07 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,524,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin9150 View Post
Don't count all your eggs yet...I work with at guy that says the 10, and the 410.
You work with my otherhalf? Been here over 9 years, and he still does that!!

And seriously, some of the things that we transplants "ask" for are things that we think natives would enjoy as well (i.e. Trader Joes, In n' Out). So, not so much trying to "change" SA, just wanting to share!

Old 10-30-2007, 09:11 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,896,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
You work with my otherhalf? Been here over 9 years, and he still does that!!

And seriously, some of the things that we transplants "ask" for are things that we think natives would enjoy as well (i.e. Trader Joes, In n' Out). So, not so much trying to "change" SA, just wanting to share!
Oh, I'm all for the sharing part. Trader Joe's would be a very welcome addition. I think we can all learn to get along! But 1604 is 1604!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio