U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2013, 11:09 PM

373 posts, read 304,803 times

Advertisements

When we think about pro football in San Antonio, some of think of the old minor league teams like the Riders and Toros. but then most of us think....Bring an NFL Team to the ALAMODOME. but wait, it ain't possible, why? cause we have two Texas NFL teams to support, the Cowboys and Texans. Sure we had some NFL exhibition games played at the dome, as well as Alamo Stadium. also we hosted 3 regular season games at the dome when New Orleans was damaged by Hurricane Katrina. but lets face it, NFL will never come as long we keep our hands tied around the Cowboys and Texans.

We had the highest level of major pro football at the Alamodome, but that lasted a year. in the form of Canadian Football. sure the game is different from the American pro game, but its also a Major League, with that, the CFL needed additional teams to attract more of its fans. the CFL Texans were one of them. but it never materialize cause most of SA was too busy with College and NFL. we would have lasted longer if fans attended and watch the CFL Texans. we had to realized, we needed a local team to support, and most of SA blew it just to watch NFL and College. we don't have a major team now because of it.

lets not forget another high level major pro team, the Gunslingers of the old USFL(great league from the start). that was a great team. if only most of SA had attended these games, begged Clinton to pay his players, and form a citywide rally to stop Trump from moving the USFL to the Fall, the Gunslingers would have lasted longer.

those(Gunslingers and CFL Texans) are two favorite SA area pro football teams I loved and worshiped. also I love the original SA area indoor team The Force.

as for the Talons, we really need to support them, this team is our last chance of keeping pro football in SA forever. they may not an NFL-type or Major pro team, it may not bring back the Gunslingers, Force or CFL Texans. but golly, we really need them. cause if we fail, we fail cause we ignore them(meaning hoping too much for NFL when we know it will never happen).

meaning Can the Talons last in SA Forever? YES, THEY CAN LAST FOREVER, IF YOU SUPPORT THEM ALWAYS.
so tomorrow is gameday vs Pittsburgh, so EVERYONE tune in to KMYS 35 and ESPN 1250 am. lets do it SA, pass the word, tell everyone in SA we really care for the Talons(do it in tribule to the old Gunslingers, FORCE and CFL Texans). GO TALONS GO!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 10:21 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,422 posts, read 32,243,883 times
Not sure I want the Alamodome, their home in SA, to remain in SA forever. That thing costs over $1 million a year to operate and it's used fewer than 30 days a year.

I have no issue with the team, though.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:30 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,123,263 times
We should build them a new stadium and knock down the Alamodome then!

Old 04-28-2013, 08:24 PM

We should build them a new stadium and knock down the Alamodome then!<<<<<<<

Im not saying the Talons should play in the dome forever. Freeman Coliseum can also be home to the Talons if the arena portion of the Dome doesn't satisfy the franchise. and as for the Dome itself, it has a permanent major autumn time football tenant now; UTSA Roadrunners. so theres no need to tear it down.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:16 AM

502 posts, read 793,068 times
If they market market market! And they have to keep winning! San Antonio is full of bandwagon fans! They did great last year!

Old 04-29-2013, 05:41 PM

914 posts, read 1,177,133 times
There's no substitute for the best. And let's face it the NFL is the biggest and the best pro sports league in the country. When San Antonio takes it rightful place among NFL host cities in the not too distant future the talons will be nothing but a footnote to history.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
There's no substitute for the best. And let's face it the NFL is the biggest and the best pro sports league in the country. When San Antonio takes it rightful place among NFL host cities in the not too distant future the talons will be nothing but a footnote to history.
I give it credit as a great sports league, but lets face it,

WE CANT HAVE NFL, WHY?

*The Dome don't meet today's NFL stadium requirements.

*Too many Cowboys, Texans, other NFL franchise fans.

*the rest of this city either

-go to flea markets on weekends
-go to bars or fancy nightclubs which have women wearing boring dresses and ugly jewelry
-cruising the streets with their fast cars
-too lazy to watch NFL on TV.

SA WILL KEEP DOING THOSE THINGS(ESPECIALLY SUPPORT FOR THE COWBOYS AND TEXANS) THAT LACKS THE CITY SUPPORT FOR A NFL FRANCHISE. the Arena franchise is the only pro team to get use to.

Man I really wish the CFL Texans were still in existence

Last edited by DGarcia879; 04-29-2013 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: add more info

Old 04-30-2013, 05:56 PM

914 posts, read 1,177,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGarcia879 View Post
I give it credit as a great sports league, but lets face it,

WE CANT HAVE NFL, WHY?

*The Dome don't meet today's NFL stadium requirements.

*Too many Cowboys, Texans, other NFL franchise fans.

*the rest of this city either

-go to flea markets on weekends
-go to bars or fancy nightclubs which have women wearing boring dresses and ugly jewelry
-cruising the streets with their fast cars
-too lazy to watch NFL on TV.

SA WILL KEEP DOING THOSE THINGS(ESPECIALLY SUPPORT FOR THE COWBOYS AND TEXANS) THAT LACKS THE CITY SUPPORT FOR A NFL FRANCHISE. the Arena franchise is the only pro team to get use to.

Man I really wish the CFL Texans were still in existence
You've got a real skewed, pessimistic view of the city. And that's unfortunate. Those of us with a broader, more optimistic sense of what San Antonio is capable of know that the NFL is a near certainty for the city. All the economic, demographic data for this region point to San Antonio as being a real hub for business growth currently and into the future. And after all an NFL team is just another business that would come to town.

So pull you head out of the past and get with the more modern day program. And quit being so down on San Antonians too. Most people who live and work here do not fit the inappropriate description you give of them. Then again you see what you want to see. And if these descriptions given by you give any indication of the type of person you actually are, that's a sad statement.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:45 PM

please forgive me bresilhac and everyone else on this post. I just hate to lose my Cowboys for a possible NFL franchise locating here. and I miss my CFL Texans so much when they folded. I just felt accepting another teams from another major football leagues as teams for this city would make us feel more big time respected even without an NFL franchise. if you know what I mean. I hate for the same thing to happen to the Talons(even though theyre a minor league type team).

Last edited by DGarcia879; 04-30-2013 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: add more info

Old 10-13-2014, 05:57 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,431,731 times
Default Looks like the Talons are finished in SA....

SAN ANTONIO — The Talons apparently will not play in San Antonio next season.
Keith Recine, the Arena Football League team's executive vice president and chief operating officer said he received an e-mail from league offices on Friday that he was being terminated.
“It said that since the Talons won't be playing in 2015, my services were no longer needed,” Recine said.

AFL pulls plug on Talons for 2015 - San Antonio Express-News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio