U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 01:46 PM

38 posts, read 40,857 times

Advertisements

When I read your blog, I wondered if you lived in the same HOA community I live in: Brentwood Common.

Not only are there bullies on the board, but, worse, their are UN-knowledgeable bullies. There incorrect "interpretations" of their CC&R's have cost the home owners thousands and thousands of dollars. And, the biggest problem is the only way in Texas, and most other states, to address these problems is through the courts. To go to court can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars for the simplest bullying issue----even when the HOA is blatantly in the wrong. Not only the cost, but there is the time---over 2 years is normal, and 3 to 4 years is not uncommon before you get to court. And then, if you win a judgement in court, they threaten you with an appeal. (Since we are going on 74 years old----what a nice way for these jerks to take care of their "problems".)

The saddest part is that lobbying groups, posing as helping the home owners, but in actuality working for management companies and HOA attorney groups, pose themselves as helping the homeowner---read the CAI website---one of the largest HOA management lobbying groups in Texas, it will make you sick reading how they are there to help the homeowner. Not only this, during the last few Texas legislatures this group has watered down every home owner protection legislation suggested or gotten rid of the legislation all together, or turned it into a bill to sell more insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 02:18 PM

2,600 posts, read 6,093,397 times
In short, get together with your neighbors, sign the proxy's that are mailed out and if your what change then "GO" to the meetings and vote her out !!!!

That's the biggest problem with homeowners, they complain and complain but when its time for the meetings, everyone's too busy to attend !!!!

Old 02-07-2014, 02:28 PM

Wow, what a thread. Shows there is really a problem and animosities.

I feel for you and empathize. I moved, for the 1st time in my life into an HOA community, and I have never been so upset nor felt so bullied and helpless. I almost feel like I am in some psychological experiment on what power does to people, especially people who did not go very far in school and/or have little success in life.

One of the sad parts is that these Board members are just being used by HOA management companies and HOA (CAI) firms to make lots of money off them and all the other homeowners. In my case, the Board members are getting little more than a dopamine fix out of their behavior----which the HOA management firm and HOA (CAI) law firms make lots and lots of money off these dupes.

Another sad part, in Texas and most other states the only remedy, no matter how blatantly wrong the board is, is to go to court. Court is enormously expensive and time consuming, and you will be bullied in court too----(if you go to trial and get a judgement, we will appeal and that will take years----so, homeowner, you had better settle---and these statements are going to people well over 70 years of age.)

Another sad part, the attornies and law firms who stand up in front of homeowners and say we represent the home owners and are here to maintain your property values, (and incidentally are paid with your monthly HOA fees), are really, in many cases, the biggest lobbying groups for HOA management companies.

In Texas, during the past few years, these law firms have managed to abolish or water down any HOA homeowner legislation---until it was almost meaningless.

And this will continue, because there is now billions of dollars to be made in the HOA management business (including foreclosures for HOA dues), and these numbers are getting bigger and bigger each year.

Only good legislation will stop this.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:09 PM

69 posts, read 75,164 times
When I moved into a new developing community that had very few houses built at the time. I was told by the realtor that I would be paying $150.00 a year for HOA dues. When I asked what the money would go to I was told that a club house and tennis court were going to be built once all the houses were constructed.

As time went on 3 years later I asked the HOA, when were they going to build a club house and tennis court in the designated area the realtor mentioned. The HOA president whatever they promised you we were not aware of therefore we are not accountable any communications you might have had with the developer.

5 years later I received a letter that had a site plan for a new swimming pool to be constucted. This of course would also increase my HOA dues from $150 to $200 a year. I figuired at least the community would get something out of it so It might be worth it.

The swimming pool is finally constucted with a wrought iron fence and lock coded gate. I called and asked the HOA what code do I use to access the gate to the swimming pool. I was told the swimming pool is for the adjoing subdivision not for our usage. When I asked about the letter for the site plan I was told it was mistakenly sent to me. I was still going to be charged $200 because eventually they will build a park around the pool for our subdivision.

We got the park/playground 5 years after the pool was built but it doesn't stop just anyone from using it yet we have to pay the dues to maintain it.

It doesn't matter what you are promised at the beginning because everything is subject to change without notice whether we like it or not.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:54 AM

A number of laws contractual obligations were not met by both the original developer and your HOA. However, in Texas and most states, the only recourse you have is a law suit. Law suits are expensive, sometimes running into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Additionally, lawsuits are time consuming, regularly lasting around 2 years and many times running into 3 to 4 years.

Many believe this is because of the large lobbying groups with represent HOA management companies and HOA attornies which represent HOA management groups----and not HOA homeowners. Also, one of the leading Texas state senators pushing for limiting HOA homeowners rights while pushing for legislation extending HOA management companies rights-----owns of of the largest HOA management companies in the US----Senator Corona. Senator Corona has made himself a millionaire many times over with his management company and many foreclosures. (Senator Corona and the CAI--lobbying group for HOA management companies---were instrumental is giving the ability to HOAs to foreclose on homeowners property for delinquent HOA fees---and bypassing homestead laws.) (Senator Corona and the CAI lobbying groups were also instrumental in watering down all the recently proposed legislation to protect homeowners.)

Old 07-17-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
I don't understand why you troll CD looking for reasons to bash HOA's. You've been doing this for years. You keep using the term "involuntary members" when that is far from accurate. No one holds a gun to your head and forces you to move into a community with an HOA, it's your choice to do so or not. It is your responsibility to read the fine print, do your due diligence and research the rules and the HOA before you decide to buy. I'm not saying there aren't out of control HOA's because there are but not all HOA's are bad and there are many who work hard to do the right thing because the board is many times made up of homeowners from the neighborhood who truly do care.

I personally have been a very active member of three different HOA's over the past 20+ years so I know what I'm talking about. Sure, you get over zealous board members from time to time but they usually don't last long before getting booted off. Folks have to take responsibility to do their research before buying
You are an "involuntary member". You had no choice but to join. When you purchased your property, you had to become a member, or in other words be subject to the CC&Rs. PERIOD!!!!!

NO CHOICE, means involuntary!

Old 07-17-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
It's pointless to argue with this guy on this topic. Just take a look at his profile, his entire CD life has been spent almost exclusively on bashing all HOAs. 99% of his posts are about how awful HOAs are so me thinks he may be a bit obsessed. He seems fairly knowledgeable about the "bad" HOAs but sadly loses credibility by never acknowledging there are good HOAs that really do provide value to their neighborhoods.
He is amazingly knowledgeable about HOA and property law. He also knows what is changing in Texas regarding HOAs politically. He might sound harsh and anti- HOA, but it is a good thing to read his comments and to know what the law really says----He quotes and interprets all the law correctly!

Old 07-18-2014, 05:49 AM

2,600 posts, read 6,093,397 times
Sounds like your homeowners have no backbone !!!!

If she has 30 plus proxy votes then get 50 plus of your own !!!!

More information needed about your subdivision !!!!

People want to change but at the same time don't want to really get involved !!!!

Read your CC&R's, its the documents that most homeowners never read !!!!

Old 08-15-2014, 10:45 AM

I again agree with Cully, a newsletter will help. I started the Flying Fickle Finger of Fate newsletter in my HOA. When the Board would stepped over their authority, I put out the newsletter on that one particular subject and wrote about how the situation should have been handled legally---and I quoted declarations/CC&Rs, state code and specific case law.

I would be very surprised if this board is reelected.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 310 times
Default Bully

Our Board has a member who just stepped down as President, but remains a Director. This person is a bully. This person disapproves any and every idea that is not her own. The person is loud, sarcastic, and demeaning to anyone who challenges her decision--regardless of supporting evidence. She hand-picked and cow-towed 2 other members on the Board and they now vote as a block. Since stepping down, she continues the same activities. And she is not above recruiting a community member or 2 to disrupt the meetings (which she no longer controls). Speaking of control, when she was president, she did not allow anyone other than Board members to speak. Now, however, she invites hecklers.

The 2 other members can get nothing at all accomplished for the community. Apparently, there is nothing anyone can do about it as she "owns" the majority vote.

Some of us want to serve our community. We do uphold strict rules to preserve community standards, but also feel that some requests should at least be considered so long as they have popular support and do not break the existing written rules. Too bad. Whatever this person wants is what the community gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio