U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 02:38 PM

898 posts, read 2,279,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
The article is over a year old. Since we're doing selective quoting here's one from the article

At any rate, polls, depending on how they are conducted, can have skewed results.

The cameras add to the "safety on the streets". I lived there for over six years and have been in or through most if not all the major cities. The cameras are a valuable tool in fighting crime.
Your posts are mind-numbing. Despite incredibly clear facts that the cameras dont deter crime and it actually increases, you say "well I felt safe when i lived there". Just because you felt safe doesnt mean that everyone does. Get attacked or mugged and I'm sure your view would change. Maybe we should just keep adding more and more until there is one specifically monitoring each individual. Now that might slow crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 05:06 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,345,279 times
This is going to go nowhere except completely off topic. We'll agree to disagree then, I won't be commenting on it further.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:07 PM

380 posts, read 1,168,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan View Post
So you would rather have Big Brother watching? awesome! This is the same argument that people use to justify having millions of cameras watching British citizens every day. Not to mention the fact that it will penalize you if you are in the intersection as the light turns red and if you are in the middle of the intersection turning left waiting for traffic to pass.
red-light traffic cameras
That is a pretty good website that gives some reasons why they should be opposed.
HAHAHAHAHA...Your talking to a NEOCON. Last thing I want to do is have Big Government in my life. However, pass my condolence's to your family for me when some idiot chooses to run a red light and takes you out.

We need to change the way society thinks to prevent red lights runners. In order to do this, you need to scare the caca out of them. If I could shoot them, fine give me the "ok" and I'll take that over cameras any day. I deal with this crap every morning with my sons school bus. But until you give me a way to stop something, then someone appointed needs to do something.

Does not having fear of being caught help prevent?

Let me ask you another way, do you think a thief is gonna go into Joe Horn's neighborhood any time soon and steal? Nope, fear they'll get their butt blown away.

If they wont let me stop it my way, then those elected need to do something about it.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:10 PM

380 posts, read 1,168,116 times
Quote:
This makes it sound like the accident is the fault of the person who 'stopped' which is absolutely ridiculous! The accident is the fault of the person behind, not paying attention, driving too fast, or not maintaining enough space between them and the car in front. Be realistic, if the light turns yellow and you have cars in front of you be prepared to stop.
Exactly! Don't make excuses of why you couldn't stop and instead try to push blame on someone/something else.

Back the hell off and slow the hell down, and you wont re-end anyone.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:56 PM

4,521 posts, read 5,239,303 times
Default Red light fines are capped

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StarRanch View Post
Ok for those opposed to traffic cameras....

Do you really expect the police to monitor each and every intersection? Impossible!

Cameras are the best route...there is no other way. Also, when they are found guilty of running reds, you fine the hell out of them. Make an example that they will never forget.

A friend telling another friend that they got fined $1000.00 for running a red, will make the other friend think twice.
Texas passed a law last Sept '07 capping the red light fines at $75. They also kept into place the law that states the state of Texas gets 50% right off the top from every fine. It's a civil penalty and with fines being capped at less than a tank of gas, nobody is afraid anymore of red light cameras.

A muncipality (like Leon Valley) will quickly discover that having an assistant police chief handling red light camera compliants for half a day each week is not worth the costs nor the bad PR.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:50 PM

898 posts, read 2,279,034 times
Quote:
This is going to go nowhere except completely off topic. We'll agree to disagree then, I won't be commenting on it further.
Sounds good...im tired lol

Old 08-03-2008, 02:16 PM

15 posts, read 40,133 times
Default Stop light cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan View Post
ehhh..then there is just more rear end collisions

people here already practically stop in front of green lights to see if it will change
It might stop the cronic rearenders(90% of SA drivers) and red light runners.
I can't recall anyone that stops at our stop sign,cops included.
I have seen cops drive around red lights.

Don't enforce the laws you get crappy drivers.
Make it bite.enforce the laws,increase the fines for each incident.Suspend DL's for too many tickets per year.
You people will straighten up quick.

I agree that the red light cams are too much of a cash cow.I know some places openly use them to generate revenue..Until Texans can man up and learn to drive not much is going to help.

So yeah red light cams everywhere would be awesome.Since the peole here are too pigheaded to make it better themselves.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:18 PM

15 posts, read 40,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Texas passed a law last Sept '07 capping the red light fines at $75. They also kept into place the law that states the state of Texas gets 50% right off the top from every fine. It's a civil penalty and with fines being capped at less than a tank of gas, nobody is afraid anymore of red light cameras.

A muncipality (like Leon Valley) will quickly discover that having an assistant police chief handling red light camera compliants for half a day each week is not worth the costs nor the bad PR.
It needs to start at $250 first time,$250 more every time.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:54 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,018,072 times
I always run a red light if I can stop, of course I'll honk to warn that I'm not stopping.

But I have ran onto those red light runners even came close to taking them with me some times.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:59 PM

6,199 posts, read 8,670,080 times
I rarely drive in Balcones Heights, but was driving through a few nights ago around 9:30...was the first one in line at the red light. While waiting for the turn lanes to go I saw the flash of the red light camera...It was pretty freaky. I didn't know what it was for a few seconds until I remembered where I was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio