U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 08:57 AM

4,274 posts, read 6,630,972 times

Advertisements

2 tween/teenage girls were outside Bush Middle School trying to get people in to vote. I just really didn't have any time nor the inclination to. 7% turnout?! Goodness gracious. Thank goodness the national votes aren't that low.

Anyone know where i can find the results? I'm interested now where I wasn't before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 09:23 AM

410 posts, read 551,749 times
If you live in District 8, unfortunately this is not over as Briones and Nirenberg are headed to a runoff on June 15. From mySA.com: "Nirenberg garnered 3,552 votes. to Briones' 3,237. Nirenberg spent $19 per vote, and Briones spent almost $94 per vote."
Briones obviously missed the boat in not spending the (few) bucks require to buy the rolandobriones.com domain name

Read more: District 8 heads to runoff - San Antonio Express-News

Old 05-12-2013, 09:27 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,128,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoman67z View Post
If you live in District 8, unfortunately this is not over as Briones and Nirenberg are headed to a runoff on June 15. From mySA.com: "Nirenberg garnered 3,552 votes. to Briones' 3,237. Nirenberg spent $19 per vote, and Briones spent almost $94 per vote."
Turnout tends to be very low for these runoff elections. It's anyone's guess who will win the runoff.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:39 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,898,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
It's also possible that people won't vote in a particular race, or won't vote at all, if they don't care for any of the candidates, or if they feel the outcome is pretty much a foregone conclusion.

On my ballot, for example, we only had the Mayor's race, with the incumbent Castro and his token opposition, and our incumbent Council member, and his token opposition. I got robocalls and mailers from both Castro's campaign and my incumbent Council member. I got a robocall from one of the Mayor's opponent's campaign Friday night. I heard nothing at all from the other candidates in the Mayor's race or in my Council District race. As expected, both incumbents won re-election.
Regardless, if opposition to the mayor was as strong as some lightly insinuate then that opposition would have fielded a strong candidate before the election.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:22 PM

3,141 posts, read 5,160,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Regardless, if opposition to the mayor was as strong as some lightly insinuate then that opposition would have fielded a strong candidate before the election.
I've noticed (at least as far as COSA Mayoral and Council elections go) that serious and well funded candidates for office will usually wait until the incumbent is term-limited, or does not seek re-election.

Some recent examples: Castro and Hardberger ran for the open Mayor's seat in 2005. Hardberger wins. In 2007, Castro sits out the race, and Hardberger is re-elected. Castro re-enters in 2009, when Hardberger is term-limited. Castro wins this time. In 2003, Chip Haase and John Clamp vie for the open District 10 Council seat. Haase wins. Clamp sits out the 2005 race. Haase is re-elected. In 2007 Clamp re-enters the race for the open seat being vacated by the term-limited Haase. Clamp wins, and then wins again in 2009.

It looks like, from the election results, that Castro's popularity is wearing off a bit, but a serious challenger would stand a much better chance if it is an open seat. Castro may not be as popular as he once was, but I don't look for a competitive Mayoral race in COSA until 2017, when Castro will be term-limited.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:06 PM

502 posts, read 813,258 times
In the meantime he will continue to ruin this city, but because he's a Mexican they will love em! I tried my best to educate people just fell on deaf ears, plus I couldn't really back up anyone to run against him nobody good for the job

Old 05-12-2013, 05:59 PM

29 posts, read 63,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptech210 View Post
In the meantime he will continue to ruin this city, but because he's a Mexican they will love em! I tried my best to educate people just fell on deaf ears, plus I couldn't really back up anyone to run against him nobody good for the job
you just count your years and hope he doesnt screw us to bad

Old 05-12-2013, 06:43 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,177,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Not like it is any great surprise, Castro was reelected. (^_^)

is that what you call it?

Old 05-12-2013, 09:44 PM

3,669 posts, read 5,898,971 times
Quote:
I've noticed (at least as far as COSA Mayoral and Council elections go) that serious and well funded candidates for office will usually wait until the incumbent is term-limited, or does not seek re-election.

Some recent examples: Castro and Hardberger ran for the open Mayor's seat in 2005. Hardberger wins. In 2007, Castro sits out the race, and Hardberger is re-elected. Castro re-enters in 2009, when Hardberger is term-limited. Castro wins this time. In 2003, Chip Haase and John Clamp vie for the open District 10 Council seat. Haase wins. Clamp sits out the 2005 race. Haase is re-elected. In 2007 Clamp re-enters the race for the open seat being vacated by the term-limited Haase. Clamp wins, and then wins again in 2009.

It looks like, from the election results, that Castro's popularity is wearing off a bit, but a serious challenger would stand a much better chance if it is an open seat. Castro may not be as popular as he once was, but I don't look for a competitive Mayoral race in COSA until 2017, when Castro will be term-limited.
Interesting analysis and will be looking forward to 2017 in expectation of an interesting race then.

Thank you for taking the time to write out your thoughts.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:28 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,128,139 times
Quote:
Incumbency is powerful. It's usually tough to unseat an incumbent, unless the incumbent has done something people don't like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio