U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:07 PM

7,002 posts, read 10,247,872 times

Advertisements

The Cielo (formerly Audobon) on Nacgodoches near Wurzbach Pkwy has a big sign saying "No Breed Restrictions." I live in the area and don't have any issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 08:00 AM

45 posts, read 125,839 times
To the original poster: we are due for the army to move us in November 2013. Of course as you know that is always subject to change. Our plan is to rent out our 3BR & 2 full bath house when the army gives my husband a report date. We also have a 6 foot tall privacy fenced yard. I'm more than willing to rent to anyone with well mannered dogs. 2 maximum. I will be requesting proof that the renters has taken out a renters insurance policy. I haven't looked into dog breed specific ones but if they are available we will be requesting that.

We own a wonderful Doberman. Such a big baby. As you know in the 70's they were what pits are considered today. Funny how the only dogs that have ever bit me were 2 Schitzus's, a Dalmatian, 2 Labs, some herding dog (unknown actual breed), and an Irish Setter. I worked as a utility worker meaning I was entering lots of properties. Suppose I was to confident at that time.

I feel bad about breed restrictions which is why I don't do that unless insurance rules change to the point I have no choice in the matter.

I know you're looking for August but if you or anyone you know is good with November get in touch with me.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:02 PM

175 posts, read 349,639 times
So far this year there have been several 'wonderful, loving, family member pitbulls 'that have killed the children that lived in the family. In San Antonio. From a 10 day old to a 2 year old, the 'loving, well mannered family dog' has repeatedly killed .
I The people in San Antonio either want the gangster image as someone mentioned, get ill bred bloodlines or fail to do any training with their dogs. NO DOG SHOULD BE LEFT ALONE WITH A CHILD!! The parents who left the 'best, most loving family pitbull' with a 10 day old infant were asking for trouble. Any dog can be jealous of a new baby.
That said, I am not from SA. We walk for exercise, and supposedly live in a 'better' part of SA. We have been attacked three times in the past two years- twice by pitbulls and once by a shepherd/husky mix. All loose. The shepherd mix was always tied in the front yard on a chain and got loose. It is not safe ANYWHERE in SA to walk.
I have raised and shown rotties years ago, when they were 'new' to the US. My dogs were out of the best ******* and by the best males. THEY ALL WERE SOCIALIZED AND TRAINED EXTENSIVELY! ! Today I see so many ill tempered and poorly bred dogs. Backyard breeders have become the enemy of most breeds of dogs- an AKC/ADRK registered dog does NOT mean you have a well bred dog. Your vehicle has a 'registration' and might not even run or be a dangerous vehicle. No brakes for instance.
Sorry for the long run. There is a reason that landlords no longer want certain breeds.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:26 PM

790 posts, read 1,606,302 times
I agree with you, Sasha. And will add the following (knowing that many will be upset) : If you're in the military and you will move, please think about the breed of dog you purchase. Once you retire and can live anywhere you want, then it's not such an issue. This is common sense.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:53 PM

I just looked up how many people were killed this year by dogs.
There are 15- they did not have the latest of September 2 in Texas-
Of the 15, 14 were pitbull/pitbull mix.
Statistics only, no 'personal feelings' .
Many were listed as a 'family' dog.

When we were walking and charged/tried to attacked by a pitbull a couple years ago (not hurt because a contractor working on a house saw/heard us when we went to a nearby porch, and he got in his truck and drove up on the lawn so we could get in the truck. The police were called, the dog charged the police who did NOT shoot the dog, but called Animal Control who were also charged by the dog. The dog was taken awayand euthanized . Another worthless owner.
Can you start to understand why landlord's do not want a bully dog, no matter how you try to say your family dog 'is the most cuddly,friendly dog on earth'?
The people whose 13 day old baby said the same thing before the dog killed the baby. The 86 year old lady who owned the pitbulls for 6 years thought that these dogs "were her babies" . Her "babies" killed her- broke her neck, spine with fatal bites. The 7 year old was killed by "the family dog who never showed any aggression" .
I love dogs, especially rotts. But can you understand how the public views the breed AND YOU? It is understandable. The breed kills people. Period. No feelings here, just statistics.
How can a parent/family member POSSIBLY like a particular breed after that breed has killed their baby, mother, father, son or daughter.......
The latest killing by a pit was in Texas on September 2, 2013

Old 09-17-2013, 02:05 PM

Good thought 'austindoxie'
I do not own rotts anymore as much as I love the breed. My mother grew up with them in Germany, so our family had a love of the breed. Today, with multiple family members in law, we are aware how we could easily lose our entire life savings, homes included even if having an insurance csrrier that will insure us. It is no longer worth the risk. Sad, huh?
We now have a mi iature dachshund. ....and even that breed is on some insurance aggressive list. But they cant reach above the knees and have essentially no jaw strength.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:02 PM

Today...
Just on news...Three pits attack woman. Neighbors say not first time 'family dogs' have attacked. ....
More statistics in SA...

Old 09-18-2013, 09:02 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,173,709 times
You clearly have an agenda, and unless you start posting links to all this information you're finding that I haven't seen I'm going to assume you're full of it.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:25 AM

Prim8:

No, I do not 'have an agenda' . I believe in FACTS only.
You owe me an apology which I doubt I will get from the attitude you belay.

Go to 'Dogsbite.org' It is a government documented site. All the statistics of each killis there . 'KILL', not 'injury'

These are the kills by pitss/bullys only.

Jan 8 South Carolina Betty Ann Todd Brown 65 family dog

Jan 19 Texas Christian Gormanous 4 years neighbors dog

Feb 8 California Elsie Grace 91 years family dog

Feb 16 Texas Isaiah Aguillar 2 years neighbors dog

March 2 Illinois Ryan Marwell 7 years friends dog

March 6 Wisconsin Dalton Borchardt 14 months babysitters dog

March 27 Georgia Monica Laminack 21 months family dog
April 7 Florida Tyler Jett 7years neighbor dog

April 11 California Claudia Gallardo 38 years neighbors dog

April 22 Iowa Jordan Arndt 4years babysitters dog

April 24 Georgia Beau Rutledge 2years family dog

May 8 South Carolina Carlton Freeman 80 years neighbors dog

May 9 California Pam Marie DeVitt 63 years neighbors dog

June 9 Arkansas Ayden Evans 5 years friends dog

June 17 California Niephi Silei 6 years family dog

June 26 South Carolina Jolee Mersbach 5 years aunts dog

Date? Texas Linda Oliver 63 family dog

Date? Texas Joyce Valdez 16 or 23 months family dog

March 25 Texas Kylar Johnson 4 years neighbors dog

April 9 Oklahoma James Hurst 92 neighbors dog

May 2 New Mexico Clifford Wright 74 years sons dog

May 8 New Mexico Jazilyn Mesa 15 month family dog

May 17 Ohio Makayla Darnell 3 days old family dog

May 12 Mary Ann Hanula 73 years neighbors dog

May 26 North Carolina Eugene Cameron 65 years neighbors dog

June 14 California Tyzhel McWilliams infant family dog

July 11 Ohio Ronnie Burn 40 years own dog

Aug 1 Georgia Rebicaih Carey 23 own dog

Aug 16 Charles Hagerman 44 years own dog

Sept 5 Georgia Brayton Cason 4 years dog belonged?

Sept 7 Arkansas Debra Renee Wilson 45 years own dog

Sept 11 North Carolina James Hudson 10 months family dog

Sept 24 Texas Raydon Bruce 3 months family dog

Sept 26 Oklahoma Nellie Davis 60 years family dog

Oct 2 North Carolina Mary Jo Hunt 53 years multiple pitts

Oct 4 Michigan Marilyn Bowles 3 WEEKS family dog

Nov 11 California Remedios Romeros 30 years property owner dog

Nov 14 Illinois Dawn Brown 44 years mastiff bully breed family dog

Dec 11 Kansas Savannah Edwards 2 years relatives dog

Unnamed child family dog killed March

July 3 Georgia 49 years own dog

Prim8-
Are these enough documented cases?
They are all easily verified.

Pitts make up less than 5% of owned dogs
Pitts kill 61% of the people that are killed
The rise in both ownership and kills by pitts are rising dramatically in the past few years-yes-this is verifiable online also.

If you-and any other bully breed potential owner or current owner has the irresponsible attitude that bullies are warm and cuddly you are ignorant. The parents/friends/babysitterswho owned these dogs thought their dogs were wonderful loveable pets....that eventually killed a baby, a child, an adult, its owner.......
The breed I love have killed 3 people in each of the past few years (about). That is not a risk that I can take with ill-educated jerks who do not know how to act arond these dogs (rotts-who belong to the 'bully' breed. As much as I would be aware of my dogs (if I felt I had a dog that I could not trust it would be culled as any good breeder should do), I can no longer take the risk.
I have seen gentle rotts/shepherds/little /big. I have also seen MORE aggressive breeds damage much more frequent. Facts again.
Yes-a Cichuahua can bite- but the damage that that small dog can do versus the damage that an aggressive BREED can do is not worth the life of a child infant adult or someone's pet.
Facts are facts.

I was an ER /trauma nurse for several years. I have seen what little and big and aggressive breed dogs can do. Each is in its own 'class'

Old 09-20-2013, 07:09 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,173,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha's View Post
Prim8:

No, I do not 'have an agenda' . I believe in FACTS only.
You owe me an apology which I doubt I will get from the attitude you belay.
But you do have an agenda; you posted earlier
Quote:
That said, I am not from SA. We walk for exercise, and supposedly live in a 'better' part of SA. We have been attacked three times in the past two years- twice by pitbulls and once by a shepherd/husky mix.
Quote:
Go to 'Dogsbite.org' It is a government documented site. All the statistics of each killis there . 'KILL', not 'injury'
What does that mean a "government documented site"? It's not run by the government, it's run by a person in Austin with an obvious agenda since she got attacked by a Pit Bull.

About Us - DogsBite.org
Quote:

These are the kills by pitss/bullys only...(list snipped by prim8 for readability)
Prim8-
Are these enough documented cases?
They are all easily verified.

Pitts make up less than 5% of owned dogs
Pitts kill 61% of the people that are killed
The rise in both ownership and kills by pitts are rising dramatically in the past few years-yes-this is verifiable online also.
That's a terrible list and pretty much any loss of life is a tragedy.
However, even if your website is accurate (I'll get to that in a moment) 151 people have died in the last 7 years.
Quote:
"You are far more likely to get killed by lightning than by a Pit Bull."

"Sites like Dogsbite.org like to claim that pit bulls only make up 5 percent of the total dog population in the United States and are therefore “attacking” at a much higher rate than other dogs, but the truth is that there are no accurate statistics kept on the total number of dogs in this country, let alone dogs by type. The CDC clearly states this on its website : “There is currently no accurate way to identify the number of dogs of a particular breed, and consequently no measure to determine which breeds are more likely to bite or kill.” And while it’s anyone’s guess exactly how many pit bull type dogs there are in this country, it’s clear from looking around most cities, neighborhoods and shelters that dogs labeled as pit bulls are far more common than 5 percent."

"Because identification of a dog’s breed may be subjective (even experts may disagree on a breed of a particular dog), DBRF [dog bite related fatalities] may be differentially ascribed to breeds with a reputation for aggression.” It gets muddier from there, considering that “pit-bull type dogs” are not a breed at all but a type encompassing several breeds and mixes that resemble those breeds. This means you have a very loose category of dogs that it’s easy for people to miss-identify."
Pit Bulls by the Numbers : StubbyDog
Quote:
What Is a Pit Bull?

There’s a great deal of confusion associated with the label “pit bull.” This isn’t surprising because the term doesn’t describe a single breed of dog. Depending on whom you ask, it can refer to just a couple of breeds or to as many as five—and all mixes of these breeds. The most narrow and perhaps most accurate definition of the term “pit bull” refers to just two breeds: the American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) and the American Staffordshire Terrier (AmStaff). Some people include the Bull Terrier, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier and the American Bulldog in this group because these breeds share similar head shapes and body types. However, they are distinct from the APBT and the AmStaff.

Because of the vagueness of the “pit bull” label, many people may have trouble recognizing a pit bull when they see one. Multiple breeds are commonly mistaken for pit bulls, including the Boxer, the Presa Canario, the Cane Corso, the Dogo Argentino, the Tosa Inu, the Bullmastiff, the Dogue de Bordeaux, the Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog and the Olde English Bulldogge. Think you can accurately identify a pit bull? Test yourself by following this link: findpitbull_v4 .
The Truth About Pit Bulls | ASPCA
Quote:
If you-and any other bully breed potential owner or current owner has the irresponsible attitude that bullies are warm and cuddly you are ignorant. The parents/friends/babysitterswho owned these dogs thought their dogs were wonderful loveable pets....that eventually killed a baby, a child, an adult, its owner.......
The breed I love have killed 3 people in each of the past few years (about). That is not a risk that I can take with ill-educated jerks who do not know how to act arond these dogs (rotts-who belong to the 'bully' breed. As much as I would be aware of my dogs (if I felt I had a dog that I could not trust it would be culled as any good breeder should do), I can no longer take the risk.
No idea why you're including me in this. I own two small mutts, both under 30 pounds. Certainly nothing like the breeds you're talking about here.
Quote:
I have seen gentle rotts/shepherds/little /big. I have also seen MORE aggressive breeds damage much more frequent. Facts again.
Yes-a Cichuahua can bite- but the damage that that small dog can do versus the damage that an aggressive BREED can do is not worth the life of a child infant adult or someone's pet.
Facts are facts.

I was an ER /trauma nurse for several years. I have seen what little and big and aggressive breed dogs can do. Each is in its own 'class'
While your experience is noteworthy, it certainly doesn't count as fact. Do a scientific peer reviewed study on the subject, then you can call it a fact. Otherwise it's just conjecture.

Many people own dogs of all breeds (including the various types you're complaining about) that are wonderful family members for their entire lives. Far more "bully" type dogs never harm a soul than turn out to bite or kill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or