U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-21-2013, 02:29 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
297 posts, read 623,920 times
Reputation: 308

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasVines View Post
I don't hate people with tats and I have several friends that have some, but I have several issues with tats and even more so with tat people

1. most tats are just horrid and stupid.....Asian letters on people that are not Asian, have never been to an Asian country (much less the one with the language they have on their body), and they don't speak the language and usually what ever stupid phrase they have really does not translate....just stupid

2. horrible angle wings, things like "bad *****" across your chest, guns on your chest (WOMEN with these), devil heads, stupid dragons or koi fish, cartoon characters......I can't imagine how a kid is going to turn out that breast feeds while staring at a devils head or a pistol while doing so......those type of tats should come with a spay or neuter as well

3. tats with "meaning"......it always starts as one....I got divorced.....tat like former neighbor that is a friend and he regretted it in a week and rolled his eyes......dog dies......tat.....have a baby.....baby feet on the neck or thigh (these usually seem to be the WORST parents ever)......grandma dies......tat.....pretty soon you look like a walking descanso/memorial/event poster....they pretty much can't take a dump without celebrating it or morning it with another tat....how about going to visit grandma before she dies or going to her actual grave VS getting that stupid tat and do you really think that grandma wants that stupid tat of her on your leg or boob.....you boob......and your kids are still alive (somehow with you as a parent) so why in the hell do you need a tat of baby feet to remind you of them.....the rest of us don't because they are wilding around the store or restaurant annoying the hell out of us while you are admiring your tats

4. people that get tats "because they are so out there and edgy and don't conform to social norms and the judgement of those up tight people that do"......they they wonder why society looks at them like they are a buffoon......uh that was what you wanted RIGHT!?....oh no wait you wanted the good job, lots of responsibility, respect from those around you......all while being so edgy and different and unique.......from all the other brain dead edgy dorks with stupid tats to make themselves different and edgy and out there and different

5. people that get tats to show everyone how "hard" they are and then actually try and look "hard" when people look at the stupid pistols or tear drops or death skulls or skulls with snakes coming out of the eyes.....uh hey idiot you are the one with crap all over yourself and then you wonder why someone is actually trying read the really poorly written hard edge poetry or rhyme or motto or haiku or pledge that you have on your forehead....of course if you just ignore them like you ignore the graffiti covered dumpster they get all hard and angry because you are not looking at them....like an idiot girl that goes out clubbing in basically her underwear and gets mad if you look at her like meat.....and of course gets mad if you don't look at her so she can then get mad that you looked at her like meat.....and of course she often has some stupid tat like the names of her last 5 EXs or her baby feet or angle wings or some stupid Asian saying

6. tribal arm bands.....does this really need an explanation

7. people that are broker than broke and make it known they are broker than broke and they have 2 thousand dollars of "ink" (most that looks like crap and is highly visible of course which is part of why the are broke because they are advertising their stupidity)....they have a 500 dollar car that is breaking down, their kids are just the next generation of "I was raised by Xbox" and they are often in discussions with similar losers about "their ink guy".......don't know the name of their kids teachers, don't have a steady baby sitter for the kid.....but they have an "ink guy"

8. people that can't grasp the concept that when you are getting a tat you are jumping right into the empty end of the gene pool with all the people above......it is like those that walk around with their pants on the ground, hat all turned stupid, saying the n word every 5 seconds or every 3rd guttural grunt, hand superglued to their crotch, bumping gangster crap in their crappy car that the doors are about to shake off of, stand around in the way of society everywhere they loiter throughout their daily routine of loitering various places, have cop killa or don't snitch Tshirts on and gang tats......but no they are really just going through a "phase' and you are suppose to ignore everything they are fronting up and assume they have a 3.95 GPA and are going to Harvard next year on a full ride

I mean yea yea I know your tat is "different' you actually know what that Asian writing means and it really means that when translated, or your dog dying was a HUGE event in your life or that was really really really your favorite cartoon growing up or you are just fascinated with the lost tribe of Borneo....but yea same with all the other clowns out there with tats embarrassing themselves on a regular basis.....so yes it will take much longer to fully decide what I think of you and even if I already know you well I will think WTF when you get some tat.....that is just how it is when you follow the next hip new cool trend that all the young people are doing except this time your tat won't grow out like your hair will and you can maybe pull your pants up to cover your tat, but the tat is still there and really the concept of remembering the times you did something stupid or lost emotional control or had some life changing event by permanently marking it on your body just seems to cheapen that type of event to me anyway.....especially when you look at the overall actions and quality of judgement of those that "remember" their similar highly life changing events in a similar fashion

I applaud this 100%
WELL SAID!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-21-2013, 04:39 PM
 
Location: the 50s and the 60s
834 posts, read 1,798,708 times
Reputation: 1542
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasVines View Post
.


I don't hate people with tats and I have several friends that have some,
but I have several issues with tats and even more so with tat people

1. most tats are just horrid and stupid.....



*******
.
.
.
you really did not need to go to all that trouble.

seriously, you took the time to type all of that??

first seven words of #1 wooda been plenty...........
.
.
.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2013, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,627 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Reputation: 9576
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I don't know if this is just a successful troll thread or not, but I'll just say this...

Some of you people are:

- Stuck in the 50's and 60's
- WAY too judgmental
- Apparently haven't been outside your houses much.

I was born in '88, and I'm one of the FEW people in my generation with no tats, and no desire to get any. However, I realize that it's 2013 and I don't question or judge people on what they look like. To the poster who said "if I saw a doctor with tats, they wouldn't be my doctor", well you just better hope you don't get cancer and that tatted doctor doesn't have a cure for it...
Agreed. I'm getting a few but I'm getting them covered. Shoulder, chest, stomach, whatever. The arm is debatable for myself. No neck or facial tattoos. Nor any on the hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2013, 06:12 PM
 
Location: the 50s and the 60s
834 posts, read 1,798,708 times
Reputation: 1542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
.


Agreed. I'm getting a few but I'm getting them covered.


******
.
.
.
really?? seems kinda counter intuitive........
.
.
.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2013, 04:30 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,627 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Reputation: 9576
Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
.
.
.
really?? seems kinda counter intuitive........
.
.
.
Why? If I need to show them, it would be outside of my working environment. Just because you get them, does not mean you want to put them in the most visible places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2013, 12:04 PM
 
Location: NW near Sea World...and in a house
546 posts, read 1,315,747 times
Reputation: 331
I have 2. I placed them in places that only behind closed doors can be seen. My son asked about my dog paws recently ( my paws are placed below my jean line near my pelvic bone) he's 3. He said that a dog had stepped on mom and that dog was a bad dog. I laughed. I always wanted to keep them in places where most wont see. I had the fear of having to go to a military ball in a beautiful dress and bam nasty tats everywhere. it takes from the amazing dress and just labels trashy all over it.

I dont care for tats to be on full display. My financial adviser has them he was in the military and they are hidden. I dont think of him as less capable because he chose to have 3 tattoos.

Just my thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2013, 02:09 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
20 posts, read 19,685 times
Reputation: 22
W-O-W!!! There are some REALLY awful comments here and some really great ones.

I thought SA folks were more open-minded and accepting of others than this!

And I can't believe how much generalization is going on throughout this thread, which isn't even accurate to begin with. It's like throwing all the people of one race, for example, and making wild stereotypes about that based on one thing that has absolutely nothing to do with anything else (like their up-bringing, their morals, their education, etc. etc.).

Yes, tattoos can be ugly. Yes, "thugs" have tattoos. Yes, people put money toward their tattoos when maybe they should focus it on other things if money is tight for them. BUT, there are also some wonderful people out there who get tattooed, who are highly educated and intelligent, who are good parents, good citizens, kind people and NOT thugs, criminals or the like.

I'm almost 33 years old. An attractive, petite female who is educated. I am happily married and have a loving family. I am a soon-to-be mother and have rescued two dogs. When my child is born, I will continue to get tattoos but you can bet your ass I'm going to be a damn good mother and my child's needs will always come before mine.

My sole purpose for posting this information is to say that I'm none of those stereotypical garbage things many of you have stated. It's so ignorant to think so closed-mindedly, and in the end, it is sad.

No one should judge another person based on their look - and besides, what's the point in that? There's no benefit for anyone.

I chose to decorate my body with artwork. Oh, and my family survived the Holocast by the way. Tattoos have evolved in a massive way and gone are the days that sailors and prisoners wear tattoos.

I don't care what you think of me. I'm a big girl and I stand up to bullies, even if you're twice my size (I'm 5ft, 100lbs) and I always have. I'm not putting dark images on my body or rude things to gain attention with. I'm just expressing myself through an art form FOR MYSELF, no one else.

And I wear Converse Chucks and have for a long, long time. I'm not a hipster. I just like those shoes.

I don't fit into a neat little stereotype. Sorry to disappoint you.

And I'm sure you have NO idea how many successful, intelligent, professional people out there have tattoos and simply cover them while at their jobs. If they are good at their jobs and offer a good service, then to say that you wouldn't hire them for the sole purpose that they have tattoos is beyond ridiculous. But that's completely your decision. Just realize that it's very ignorant.

It's like discriminating against someone who is heavier than "the norm" and assuming that they are bad people or slobs or whatever else.

Lots of good points have been made here and this is just my two cents like everyone else's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2013, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Brentwood
818 posts, read 985,133 times
Reputation: 1380
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynw View Post
W-O-W!!! There are some REALLY awful comments here and some really great ones.

I thought SA folks were more open-minded and accepting of others than this!

And I can't believe how much generalization is going on throughout this thread, which isn't even accurate to begin with. It's like throwing all the people of one race, for example, and making wild stereotypes about that based on one thing that has absolutely nothing to do with anything else (like their up-bringing, their morals, their education, etc. etc.).

Yes, tattoos can be ugly. Yes, "thugs" have tattoos. Yes, people put money toward their tattoos when maybe they should focus it on other things if money is tight for them. BUT, there are also some wonderful people out there who get tattooed, who are highly educated and intelligent, who are good parents, good citizens, kind people and NOT thugs, criminals or the like.

I'm almost 33 years old. An attractive, petite female who is educated. I am happily married and have a loving family. I am a soon-to-be mother and have rescued two dogs. When my child is born, I will continue to get tattoos but you can bet your ass I'm going to be a damn good mother and my child's needs will always come before mine.

My sole purpose for posting this information is to say that I'm none of those stereotypical garbage things many of you have stated. It's so ignorant to think so closed-mindedly, and in the end, it is sad.

No one should judge another person based on their look - and besides, what's the point in that? There's no benefit for anyone.

I chose to decorate my body with artwork. Oh, and my family survived the Holocast by the way. Tattoos have evolved in a massive way and gone are the days that sailors and prisoners wear tattoos.

I don't care what you think of me. I'm a big girl and I stand up to bullies, even if you're twice my size (I'm 5ft, 100lbs) and I always have. I'm not putting dark images on my body or rude things to gain attention with. I'm just expressing myself through an art form FOR MYSELF, no one else.

And I wear Converse Chucks and have for a long, long time. I'm not a hipster. I just like those shoes.

I don't fit into a neat little stereotype. Sorry to disappoint you.

And I'm sure you have NO idea how many successful, intelligent, professional people out there have tattoos and simply cover them while at their jobs. If they are good at their jobs and offer a good service, then to say that you wouldn't hire them for the sole purpose that they have tattoos is beyond ridiculous. But that's completely your decision. Just realize that it's very ignorant.

It's like discriminating against someone who is heavier than "the norm" and assuming that they are bad people or slobs or whatever else.

Lots of good points have been made here and this is just my two cents like everyone else's.
I think it's great that you are all the wonderful things you say you are, I commend you on that. Having said that, you make this statement

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynw View Post
Yes, tattoos can be ugly. Yes, "thugs" have tattoos. Yes, people put money toward their tattoos when maybe they should focus it on other things if money is tight for them.
and then effectively go on to say (paraphrasing) 'but you should ignore all that because good people get tattoos too.'

There is a reason a cliche is a cliche. There is a reason stereotypes exist. We live in a free country and if you want to get tattoos on every square inch of your body, more power to you. Just understand, that 'free country' thing goes both ways. If you want to get tattoos on every square inch of your body, hell, if you want to get one small tattoo on a part of your body that is often going to be visible you have to accept the fact that there are a large number of people that are going to exercise their 'freedom' and judge you.

As you can see in this thread, there are still MANY people that look down on people with tattoos. It doesn't matter if you like it. It doesn't matter if you agree with it. That prejudice exists. Chosing to get a tattoo is effectively saying, 'I understand that prejudice is there but I am going to get this tattoo in spite of it'. Fantastic, don't whine about the judgement you face when you knew good and well the consequences of your actions.

This is not the same as racial or sexual prejudice. People didn't chose to be a certain race and people don't chose, at birth, to be a certain sex. People do chose to get tattoos and they do so knowing the prejudice that exists.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2013, 08:37 AM
 
5,629 posts, read 6,439,908 times
Reputation: 3603
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
I think it's great that you are all the wonderful things you say you are, I commend you on that. Having said that, you make this statement



and then effectively go on to say (paraphrasing) 'but you should ignore all that because good people get tattoos too.'

There is a reason a cliche is a cliche. There is a reason stereotypes exist. We live in a free country and if you want to get tattoos on every square inch of your body, more power to you. Just understand, that 'free country' thing goes both ways. If you want to get tattoos on every square inch of your body, hell, if you want to get one small tattoo on a part of your body that is often going to be visible you have to accept the fact that there are a large number of people that are going to exercise their 'freedom' and judge you.

As you can see in this thread, there are still MANY people that look down on people with tattoos. It doesn't matter if you like it. It doesn't matter if you agree with it. That prejudice exists. Chosing to get a tattoo is effectively saying, 'I understand that prejudice is there but I am going to get this tattoo in spite of it'. Fantastic, don't whine about the judgement you face when you knew good and well the consequences of your actions.

This is not the same as racial or sexual prejudice. People didn't chose to be a certain race and people don't chose, at birth, to be a certain sex. People do chose to get tattoos and they do so knowing the prejudice that exists.

Brian
This was well put. Had to rep you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2013, 12:53 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
20 posts, read 19,685 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
...As you can see in this thread, there are still MANY people that look down on people with tattoos. It doesn't matter if you like it. It doesn't matter if you agree with it. That prejudice exists. Chosing to get a tattoo is effectively saying, 'I understand that prejudice is there but I am going to get this tattoo in spite of it'. Fantastic, don't whine about the judgement you face when you knew good and well the consequences of your actions.Brian
I agree with this portion completely, however I am not whining about people judging me. I agree that choosing to get a tiny tattoo or covering myself in tattoos means that I will have to deal with people's opinions. The difference here is that I am not affected by what others may assume of me. I know who I am and what I stand for, and to me, that's all that matters.

I was simply trying to convey that when many people here started blasting people who have tattoos and stereotyping them, it is very ignorant because there is so much more to a person than what ink they may have on their body. That was all I wanted to express.

I think it's best to agree that some people are more open minded than others on this particular topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top