U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 02:42 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,569,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasVines View Post
I don't hate people with tats and I have several friends that have some, but I have several issues with tats and even more so with tat people

2. horrible angle wings, things like "bad *****" across your chest, guns on your chest (WOMEN with these), devil heads, stupid dragons or koi fish, cartoon characters......I can't imagine how a kid is going to turn out that breast feeds while staring at a devils head or a pistol while doing so......those type of tats should come with a spay or neuter as well

5. people that get tats to show everyone how "hard" they are and then actually try and look "hard" when people look at the stupid pistols or tear drops or death skulls or skulls with snakes coming out of the eyes.....uh hey idiot you are the one with crap all over yourself and then you wonder why someone is actually trying read the really poorly written hard edge poetry or rhyme or motto or haiku or pledge that you have on your forehead....of course if you just ignore them like you ignore the graffiti covered dumpster they get all hard and angry because you are not looking at them....like an idiot girl that goes out clubbing in basically her underwear and gets mad if you look at her like meat.....and of course gets mad if you don't look at her so she can then get mad that you looked at her like meat.....and of course she often has some stupid tat like the names of her last 5 EXs or her baby feet or angle wings or some stupid Asian saying
The word you want here is angel. Sorry. There are stereotypes that go along with people not being able to spell very simple words.

Also, what exactly are "tat people" and how are your friends with tattoos not part of that grouping?

Are tattoos okay with you if they are a design or image you personally approve of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Agreed. I'm getting a few but I'm getting them covered. Shoulder, chest, stomach, whatever. The arm is debatable for myself. No neck or facial tattoos. Nor any on the hand.
I think you mean that you are getting tattoos in areas of the body where they can be easily covered ? To say you are "getting them covered" leads one to believe you are getting a tattoo, then paying to have it covered with another tattoo, which would be really really odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynw View Post
I was simply trying to convey that when many people here started blasting people who have tattoos and stereotyping them, it is very ignorant because there is so much more to a person than what ink they may have on their body. That was all I wanted to express.

I think it's best to agree that some people are more open minded than others on this particular topic.
I don't understand the closed-mindedness either. Lumping all tattooed folk together is the same as me coming along and saying "People in San Antonio are a bunch of fat idiots who don't care about anything but getting drunk and watching Spurs games..." based on how many overweight drunks I see in Spurs jerseys.

Of course it is not fair or true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 06:22 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,324,131 times
I only like "artistic" tattoos of good quality. IF you are going for the tattooed look, I prefer the hip, retro indie 1940s, 50s kids with really pretty colors and quality on their ink. I kinda like the dia de los muertos skull tattoos with bright colors.

I'd look like and idiot with one, however. lol.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:33 PM

818 posts, read 985,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
"People in San Antonio are a bunch of fat idiots who don't care about anything but getting drunk and watching Spurs games..." based on how many overweight drunks I see in Spurs jerseys.
Actually, I think this statement is more true than you are giving it credit for. Again, there is a reason stereotypes exist.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,239 times
First, for those of you who insist on trying to compare grammatical and/or spelling mistakes with life decision stereotypes, you're just showing your ignorance. Making a decision in your life to drink, smoke, overeat, get tattoos, etc... is (at least initially) a CHOICE, having a learning disability or challenge with communication is almost never a choice. Besides if the point is made in the communication what possible difference does it make if someone misspells something; and yes I get that poorly structured communications can and do lead to confusion so rather than berating the person how about just asking a clarifying question?

With regards to the tattoo conversation:

I just returned from a few days vacation at Disneyland and Disney California Adventure, and I have to say I was actually quite surprised at the number of people with tattoos. Not just the number of people but the volume of tats on each person. I was seriously somewhat shocked, not because people get them (although I agree with the bulk of responders to this thread that it's just a bad decision) but because so many of the tattoos look bad and made the person look unclean.
Saddest thing to me overall was the number of early teens (13-14-15) that had them, so many of the girls already had "tramp-stamps" and I lost count of the number very young boys with tats on their face, neck and/or hands.

Personally I feel my 11 year old said it best "more wrong tattoos don't make any of them right", when he said it I thought the lady in line in front of us was going to need oxygen she was laughing so hard (since both of the teen girls she was with turned bright red and looked incredible embarrassed when they heard the comment)

You want to get one more power to you, just know that others do and will continue to judge you because of them

Old 09-02-2013, 12:31 AM

774 posts, read 682,638 times
I will state that I'm not from here. I moved around a lot, mostly on the east coast from AL to VA. Tattoos were far less prevalent growing and there has always been a 'negative' stigma surrounding them. People associated with crime, etc. I do tend to think people who make such a decision probably have some sort of low self esteem or psychological issue to get them. There are medical studies to back my claim.

When I moved to Texas I was surprised as to how many people had tattoos. I know there is a strong Mexican population and I thought it was mostly cultural, but I've seen most everyone with some sort of tattoo on them.

That's one of the things I struggle with in dating here. Every other woman I see feels the need to ink themselves up. I really don't like them personally.

I have buddies that are surprised that I don't have tattoos, give me options on one, or ask me why I don't have one. Just not my thing. Tend to agree OP.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:10 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,426,902 times
Default Merovee,Tattos and Like,

Kind of figured you were young alright Merovee. The overuse- of the word "like" we had mentioned in
another post in conjunction with probably the same people whom overuse- the tatoos. I remember
the overuse of the word "like ' before cartoon ScoobeyDoo.
The first usage of the word "Like" on television used in the sub-cultural sense of the word that I recall
on television predates your recollection by one generation. At least.
Maynard G. Krebs , the Beat-nik (the social form of an early pre-hip, hippy), a character played by actor Bob Denver(Gilligan), on a 50's series "Dobie Gillis" was where I first heard the word "like" used in language, completely out of context. As Slang. That was maybe 1957 through 1960? Exactly as it is used nowadays maybe "like" 60 years later. The guy wore a goatee and played a set of bongo drums and tried very badly to be cool and hip. Looked dumb however.
The television watched was a huge wooden veneered cabinet bigger than me, weighing I would estimate 100 lbs., with a twelve or fourteen inch screen , about like a modern laptop screen. I could have been killed by it if it had fallen on me. The wood cabinet was hot to the touch on the outside from the vacuum tubes inside. I think the tubes heated electrons to the point of electrical transmission.

I used to have a babysitter, 16 y.o. back in the nineties, 40 yrs. later, that could chatter anxiously, very quickly.
I remember her using word "like" in a single sentence at least three times on occasion with great rapidity.
This, this tatoo thing is -"SO"- last year...... I think it , tatooing,
is blase' and boring .
Far out.

I was in Sam's club one time, when a kid came skateboarding down the canned goods aisle inside, where I was pushing a shopping cart accompanied by my two younger sons. Baggy shorts were worn hanging down at half mast also by this badly in need of some barbering, 15 year old boy flying through.
TO make a long story short these antics reached a finale when the trousers accidentally dropped
to the floor in their grand glory, finally completely down in public in that defiant moment, during a push off stroke to the skateboard. Right there in front of us.
This kid crashed- to the floor in a heap with his pants down at his ankles down the grocery aisle
at Sam's club. A reality T.V. moment. Thankfully there weren't any tatoos visible during this display of juvenile bravado.
Then as now I simply wasn't interested at all in observing, I am jaded and have seen it all. Big deal.
I am sure this behavior has been outgrown, maybe not. This only happened about 10 years ago.
Tatoos and pants down I admit not to have seen ever, with the exception of one girl I used to know.
Maybe I have seen it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Maybe they will be the generation that develops the first forgivable, transhumanist, and electronic-tattoo that can be changed or erased?

The use of the word like is as old as the hills (Scooby Doo?) but really began to spread with the rise of valspeak and has continued among many segments of the population even after the '80s.

Those well into their 40s might use it but hopefully not as excessively as you have described.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:15 AM

135 posts, read 165,084 times
I usually use tats to judge a person. If you understand The meanings of certain tats its like reading a book on that persons life. With that being said most the people in San Antonio are posers so there tats usually don't mean jack, then you have the gansters that like to tell you what drugs they sell or how many people they killed.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:46 PM

2,330 posts, read 6,270,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
Who cares what they do to their body?

I may not like the way the look, but I'm not the one that needs to live with it.

I do... if they make a bad decision to get all tatted up and look like they live in a jungle.. remember they are making decisions about what they are going to do to you. If they cant think logically and not tattoo every orifice of their body.. what could they do to you? Sometimes its all about common sense..

Old 09-06-2013, 05:54 PM

834 posts, read 1,798,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post

Who cares what they do to their body?

I may not like the way the look, but I'm not the one that needs to live with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post

I do... if they make a bad decision to get all tatted up and look like they live in a jungle..

remember they are making decisions about what they are going to do to you.

If they cant think logically and not tattoo every orifice of their body.. what could they do to you?

Sometimes its all about common sense..
really?? the man in SATx?? common sense??

I think you are a little too self absorbed if it was really you that typed this.

hardy har har...........

Old 09-06-2013, 05:55 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,178,164 times
That's ridiculous. It's way overgeneralized. Someone liking a tattoo says nothing about them other than they like tattoos.
It doesn't mean he's a biker, or a miscreant, or a gang member.
Just like having a drink doesn't mean you're an alcoholic, or like to drive drunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio