U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 09:00 AM

13 posts, read 88,425 times

Advertisements

Back on August 8, 1997, five people were massacred in their apartment near San Antonio College. These murders came to be known as the French Place Massacre. The people who lost their lives in the murders were innocent. There wasn't 10,000 dollars and a shoebox full of coke as they thought. The men who raided the apartment were ranking members of the Mexikanemi. Also known as the Mexican Mafia. The orders came from the higher ranking man in the gang, located in a prison in California. These murders brought on the federal indictment of the organization. Then, in August of 2004 the DEA and FBI initiated a "crackdown" on the hierarchy of the organization. Now, a lot of people in this city don't realize that we do have so called "gangs". These aren't the gangs we had back in the 90's, but they're still fully capable of extortion, murder for hire, and trafficking. I consider myself a smart person and pretty experienced for only being 19. I can assure you, from experience, that this city does have a hidden problem. You don't here about ALL of the bodies they find on the east, west, southeast and southwest sides of town. I can recall last night, watching the news, they found a body out in east Bexar county, 4 bullet holes in the back of the head. Now i'm not a homicide detective, but I can assure you it can be linked to either the Mexikaneme, MS-13, or maybe even some of these little wannabe Bloods, Kings and Crips I've come across. San Antonio is one the major trafficking points for heroin, cocaine and methamphetamine from the Gulf Cartel. Three weeks ago, the found two Mexican men, thought to have links to La Eme, with over 20,000 dollars in a trash bag and 2 kilos of heroin. You also here about a lot of "gang-related" shootings. They don't give you the name of the gang because they don't know. But if you think about it, that's the whole purpose of the gang. You take care of your business as efficiently and quietly as possible. As long as San Antonio remains the trafficking hub of south Texas, we will have gangs and organized crime. Ever since the French Place murders La Eme has remained low key, disposing of their work farther away from town than they did in the 90's. They realized the can still make money, just not headlines. But whoever thinks that there isn't gangs or organized crime in the city, is just flat out wrong. LET ME HEAR FROM SOME OTHER PEOPLE..LET ME KNOW WHO IS WHO ON THE EAST, WEST AND SOUTHSIDES OF TOWN...WHICH GROUPS HAVE WHICH PART?...I'M DOING A REPORT ON ORGANIZED CRIME AND GANGS IN THE CITY FOR MY LITERATURE CLASS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 09:18 AM

616 posts, read 1,858,962 times
Why should we help you do your homework? If you don't learn how to do research from primary and secondary sources on your own, you will suffer big time in future classes.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:21 AM

Well, I think I'm pretty well off. Thanks for the advice. But I consider first hand accounts to be secondary sources. Besides, you don't really seem to be the kind of person that needs to address the issue.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:24 AM

616 posts, read 1,858,962 times
First hand accounts aren't secondary sources. Those would be primary sources. Secondary sources would be things like books written by authorities, articles in scholarly journals and government reports.

Also, when you assume, you make an ass out of you and me. I do actually know a lot about gang activity in San Antonio, due to my work with indigents and low-income defendants at the The Center For Legal and Social Justice at St. Mary's University School of Law. But, any inclination I would have had to help you out got quickly snuffed out by your snotty comment.

Good luck on your paper.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:30 AM

Well congratulations to you and your credentials. I was looking for a different perspective on gang activity.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:53 AM

472 posts, read 1,605,292 times
Why don’t you do a paper on getting to the real bottom of things, legalizing drugs? Honestly these gangs are all about drugs and who benefits from drugs being illegal, well obviously drug dealers. Now I really hate to say that legalizing drugs is the right thing to do but what else can be done. I personally would only like to see marijuana be legalized simply because people can grow it themselves and the only thing wrong with marijuana is the fact that it’s illegal. I don’t really want to see other drugs legalized but how can you really just pick one and think the problem could be solved. I do think all the money that is wasted on an unwinnable drug war should be spent on education and treatment.
My point being if (pot) was legal and people grew it themselves then there would be no need for a drug dealer, duh!
My opinion is that if you don’t support legalization then you fully support drug dealers. I hate when people think there is no problem and that drugs remaining illegal is fine. That is just being totally ignorant.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:54 AM

454 posts, read 373,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMFKennelsSATX View Post
LET ME HEAR FROM SOME OTHER PEOPLE..LET ME KNOW WHO IS WHO ON THE EAST, WEST AND SOUTHSIDES OF TOWN...WHICH GROUPS HAVE WHICH PART?...I'M DOING A REPORT ON ORGANIZED CRIME AND GANGS IN THE CITY FOR MY LITERATURE CLASS.
If you need to do first-hand account research, you need to go out into the community to do it. People on here could tell you anything, how would you verify its accuracy or relevance?

FWIW - I live in a part of town very recently thought by outsiders to be gang-ridden. That was the common perception around town. When I moved here it had its issues, but the gang problem was widely over-stated (and now, it's very very different as an up and coming area).

I don't doubt there are gangs in San Antonio, but as an instructor I wouldn't accept papers from students whose references are 'city-data-forum'. That's not valid.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:31 AM

180 posts, read 805,178 times
I hate to say this but you, regular joe, have less to fear from organized crimes than gangs. The mexican mafia and maybe ms-13 (borderline gang/outfit) dont do "senseless" crimes. They seek profit and the mainstay of their business. Gangs are the idiots driving around shooting random people robbing poor people. Organized crime lke the mafia, mex mafia etc kill for a reason. Im not saying its good or ok but its more than some idiot latin desciple just killing to kill. Likely if youve been hit by an outfit its b/c you did business with them or you ripped them off. Yes they rob but not granma on the sidewalk. Their more like mafia you see on tv.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:52 PM

70 posts, read 409,581 times
yeah i know about this stuff too cause of firsthand life accounts. that there is a gang problem in SA. but there is gangs in every big city. Many people don't think of it cause they live in safer suburban areas such as north SA but for those people in the inner city like me it's a everyday problem this is not really a new problem cause you can talk to my grandma and she can tell you murders that happen in her younger life about the kings.
i mean i'm a teenager and i've seen some crazy **** happen. and about that MS-13 you don't want to cross path with one of them in the street for real. i used to live buy the woodlawn area and i was walking to the sonic on bandera and almost got shot just for looking at one of them. and about La eme i was told once they own the whole underground SA area. I live in the West Side write across from the courts or projects.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:02 PM

70 posts, read 409,581 times
really gangs don't rob any person on the street or i'd be robbed. it's actully the people who are homeless or addicted to some drug like crack and yes it is true that many innicent people are killed cause of the gangs trust me i know personally but they do it by accident cause they do drive-bys and don't aim but shoot any were. I'm not defending those people but simply correcting your perseptions. also it dosen't weather it's orginized or street it's still a murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or