U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 11:41 AM

6 posts, read 8,192 times

Advertisements

I'm glad to hear some positive feedback re: AHS since I've read some poor reviews online for all of the companies. Hopefully we will be lucky & never need it, but nice to know it won't be too much hassle if we ever do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 12:45 PM

54 posts, read 206,654 times
I got AHS when I got my home, never had a complaint an used them the first year extensively. I did have a small issue with a contractor that they went thru, but when I called AHS about them they quickly gave me another company and resolved the issue.

Regardless of who you go with make sure your warranty includes cost for permits and disposal ( for any A/C work). Most plans cover A/C but not the cost of disposal of freon, etc. which can cost up to $700-800. I had it luckily so I was covered, a friend of mine also had AHS and didn't have that coverage and he had to pay around $800 on top of the service charge.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:18 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,335,238 times
I would only recommend paying for a home warranty if you don't have the means to cover a major home malfunction i.e. A/C system replacement.

We've had AHS since 2005 with absolutely no regrets. I've had to use the service several times mostly for A/C related problems, but I've also had issues with electrical, plumbing, and the garage door. The service provided was as I expected I can't remember any situation that took longer than 24hrs to resolve once the problem was identified.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:15 AM

487 posts, read 978,711 times
I recommend Home Warranties of America. They offer a 13 month warranty and have always provided my clients with good, prompt service. You might want to check out their website.

BigTex- ALL buyers and sellers are required to sign a "Disclosure of Relationship With Residential Service Company," form whenever a transaction takes place. I have sold many homes (18 so far this year) and during that time ONE Realtor / Company acknowledged they were in cahoots with a warranty company.
Just thought you would like to know that ALL Realtors are not getting kickbacks on warranties. We make recommendations, based on our experiences, because we want our clients to get the very best service. Nothing more.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:17 PM

381 posts, read 662,928 times
I think that these companies are a sham from what I have read, your experiences here and when you read all the fine print that comes with their own advertising.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:15 PM

937 posts, read 2,154,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by en28so View Post
I think that these companies are a sham from what I have read, your experiences here and when you read all the fine print that comes with their own advertising.
did you get HW on your house in SO?

Old 05-21-2013, 07:12 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,941,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by en28so View Post
Most people in this thread have reported positive experiences with home warranty companies. Maybe I'm misreading your post.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
did you get HW on your house in SO?
No I didn't. But I was thinking about it, but I changed my mind.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
Most people in this thread have reported positive experiences with home warranty companies. Maybe I'm misreading your post.
You might be right, but even then it's not enough to paint the whole picture of how these companies work, which seems to be leaning towards the consumer not getting their bang for the buck.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:00 PM

30 posts, read 135,696 times
American Home Shield is the one we use as we purchased an older home and so far we have had them replace parts in the A/C unit 3 times, freon recharge also and 3 times for plumbing issues and dishwasher and oven went out and they have taken care of everything in a timely manner. Glad we had this otherwise we would have put out alot of cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or