Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 12:50 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dastexan View Post
Well my point is that its simply a pure profit incentive for the various companies. You get less service every day.

Places like Whole Foods, Target et al; they offer incentives for using your own bags, why? Because not only is it good for the environment but it is good for the companies bottom line.

If a place like HEB truly cared more than lip service about the environment, they would truly encourage people to use reusable bags by speaking to their wallets.

Else they will say they care, when in reality when you add up the few pennies per bag, it ends up putting money in their pockets.

There is a reason why they want people to use less bags. Its not strictly environmental. I'd say at best, its 50% the reason, though I'd bet its much less.
When the Austin ban went into effect HEB gave away free reusable bags...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 03:45 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Target and a few other big name retailers did as well. As did many smaller businesses.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:08 PM

349 posts, read 422,232 times
Quote:

So what you are saying is that if San Antonio were to enact this, HEB would give out free reusable bags?

What was the limit on this?

How long did they do this and how many could you get at once?

Its an interesting argument, but in the end like with everything else, the consumer will end up footing the bill.

You get less and you pay more for it. Sounds about right.

Capitalism 101 w/ government involvement.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:26 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
So what you are saying is that if San Antonio were to enact this, HEB would give out free reusable bags?

A few years ago, HEB in San Antonio was giving out free bags in the stores. Not sure how long it lasted, maybe a month or so. I have about 25 bags at least, varying styles/quality. Except for 2 I bought at Trader Joe's c. 1989, 1 I bought at Stop N Shop c. 1994, and 1 I bought at Sun Harvest c. 2005, all have been FREE. There are so many places giving out free canvas bags all the time. I do like the ones I bought the best, as they are the best quality (evidenced by how long I've had them), but it's easy to find free bags if you want them.

I could care less about 5 cents. I suspect most of the Whole Foods shoppers who bring their own bags could also care less. I normally shop at Central Market, and see loads of people with their own bags, despite the lack of incentive.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:04 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:

Its an interesting argument, but in the end like with everything else, the consumer will end up footing the bill.

You get less and you pay more for it. Sounds about right.

Capitalism 101 w/ government involvement.

But we can only blame ourselves or in our example the people of Austin since they voted in the people who wanted to pass this ordnance. Will help the appearance of Austin? Slightly...

Old 05-24-2013, 08:47 AM

349 posts, read 422,232 times
Quote:
But we can only blame ourselves or in our example the people of Austin since they voted in the people who wanted to pass this ordnance. Will help the appearance of Austin? Slightly...

Oh I agree completely on that front. As with every other government measure where the consumer ends up getting the short end of shaft.

Of course in San Antonio's case (dont know about voting in Austin) but its the majority of the VERY, VERY, VERY SMALL minority that decides who gets to make these decisions.

But naturally, nobody ever talks about that in terms of consequences of not actually giving a damn about voting.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:26 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
If we ever get Aldi stores here, folks will learn to appreciate the free bags and bagging at the stores we have now.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:38 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Aldi's and HEB are not even in the same category. While both sell groceries, Aldi's is to HEB as Dollar General is to Target.

I do wish we had Aldi's here. It would be nice.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:57 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,343 times
Wal-Mart has bags 2 for $1.00....so we can easily afford them. A lot of stores have them for 99c. I have accumulated about 6 bags which is more than sufficient for my single status needs!

Old 05-24-2013, 01:07 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,002,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
Wal-Mart has bags 2 for $1.00....so we can easily afford them. A lot of stores have them for 99c. I have accumulated about 6 bags which is more than sufficient for my single status needs!
IMO, I hate walmart bags. Had to many just flat tear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio