Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 09:14 AM

296 posts, read 1,241,585 times

Advertisements

I had to sign up for energy to complete my lease last month, but im still living at my place in california and am not moving in until next month. It's a 1 bedroom apt in SA. They just sent me a $43 bill but I haven't even used any electric?? How do they normally bill? When I signed up, I was told it was by usage but obviously I haven't used it, shouldn't it be lower from just keeping the utilities running? :S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 09:20 AM

500 posts, read 963,266 times
Possibly for the deposit?

Old 05-26-2013, 09:31 AM

4,295 posts, read 7,159,621 times
I had to pay an up-front deposit when I became a CPS Energy customer years ago. I remember it got refunded to me after a period of time.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:38 AM

No this was not the deposit, I already gave them a deposit upon signing up.. This is for supposed usage but the apt complex has confirmed everything except the fridge and kitchen stuff basically are off (no lights on etc)..

Old 05-26-2013, 09:41 AM

2,067 posts, read 5,942,215 times
Call them, the bill should not start until you take possession.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:13 AM

145 posts, read 377,311 times
On our CPS bill there is a $8.25 fee for electricity and $8.95 fee for gas before you even use any. A $1.99 environmental fee. Not sure you have a gas fee but right there is $20 in charges.
You probably have a refrigerator running and the a/c. Maybe check to see what the a/c is set at, it has been hot the last couple of weeks. The oven is plugged in so that is using a little bit. Your probably only using $1.00 a day of energy plus some fees.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:18 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,515,117 times
I would bet it's the A/C. The thermometer may me set to a high temperature, but not actually "off". We had had mild weather up until about 3 weeks ago, so it may not have kicked in when your place was checked.

And, sometimes, meters spin out of control. That happened to my parents. They shut EVERYTHING off, turned off the main breaker, then turned it back on, which did solve it.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:10 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,619,554 times
The electricity never gets turned off in apartments here. When I signed my lease they told me to call CPS and give the date of my move in and then call them with the confirmation#. The interim period when one tenant moves out and the next one moves in is paid by the apt complex. Your bill should commence on the day you move in! Call them and see
what's going on!
I moved in in the winter time and the breaker was shut off on the central heat, which I discovered when I woke up cold. The apt complex made sure they were paying as little possible until it was occupied again.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:09 PM

Ugh. Leasing probably has the AC on in the apartment and either didn't actually check or didn't want to tell me. They made me sign up for electric to activate my lease, even though they knew I wasn't physically moving to Texas until the end of the month (I needed the apartment though, so I was paying rent at both the new place and my current place this month). So I guess that's how they dodged the interim period between renters. It's annoying because now if they estimate next month's bill, it'll probably be based off of that one and I barely use electricity or AC at all. I hate paying for stuff I didn't even use. I'm gonna call them and make sure they read the right meter though. I loved my energy company in California so CPS is definitely gonna be an adjustment -_-

Old 05-26-2013, 01:17 PM

4,295 posts, read 7,159,621 times
CPS Energy has been estimating meter readings at a much greater frequency than in the past. For example, they estimated mine in December, February and March. When they finally read the meter in April, my bill for electric, gas, city services, and taxes was less than $10, because they over-estimated electric usage in February and again in March.

The bill the OP got for his apartment could be estimated on the previous tenant's usage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio