U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 09:01 PM

310 posts, read 465,162 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else heard the massive amount of artillery fire that started around 9:50 tonight on the north end of Camp Bullis? I can only assume that is what it is. I have never heard anything like it at my house near Boerne before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 04:51 AM

520 posts, read 604,810 times
I'll leave it to those who are intimately familiar with Camp Bullis but I don't think that was artillery. Bullis is pretty small for artillery fire ranges.

My understanding is that it is a field medic training facility. I think what you may have heard are blanks being used in a combat training scenario.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:07 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,830,095 times
Camp Bullis does not have the land to support artillery firing. It would be a tight squeeze to get anything above 60mm mortars in the footprint of the impact area/range complex. Given the the time, I would wager it was artillery simulators used during maneuver training. I wouldn't think they would be doing controlled detonations of damaged ammo at that time of night unless it were an emergency.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:23 AM

Thanks for the responses. Very odd - it sounded like a warzone for about 10 minutes and then stopped.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:29 AM

Most likely the Air Force SP school doing one of their training exercises or a local National Guard or Reserve Unit doing some night training. That was always one of my favorite ways to test local security. Figure out the general area the unit was I wanted to check. Drive to about a KM away. Park the truck and walk in the last kilometer on foot. Eyeball the perimeter for signs of life, then shoot a parachute flare in the air and lob a couple of artillery simulators in a safe area inside the perimeter and see what shook loose. Quite funny to watch at times.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:24 AM

That sounds like a good time! I have noticed security increasing quite a bit along Ralph Fair Road of late. Not sure if this is technically Bullis or Stanley, but adding another layer of fence inside the perimeter fence, more security patrols and cameras with some sort of infrared device have all happened in the last 6-12 months.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:57 AM

Stanley abuts Ralph Fair Rd. It is sort of wedged in between Ralph Fair Rd to the west and Camp Bullis to the east.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:31 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,169,739 times
I have an old softcopy of FSH Reg 350-2, which covers the training ranges at Camp Bullis. There are no artillery ranges listed, nor have I ever seen any artillery on that installation.

There is a test range designed for use by military agencies and civilian contractors to conduct testing of explosive devices and munitions not to exceed 25 pounds TNT equivalent (waiverable by the camp commander). Explosions also cannot violate established noise level restrictions outside the installation boundary.

There are also a hand grenade/claymore range as well as a M203/LAW range, but I am not sure how much either are used or if they are at all.

The maximum range of any of the ranges is 1100 meters, far below artillery levels which are usually measured in kilometers (a M777 howitzer has a range of about 40 kms).

Cheers! M2

Old 06-03-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoerneMan View Post
That sounds like a good time! I have noticed security increasing quite a bit along Ralph Fair Road of late. Not sure if this is technically Bullis or Stanley, but adding another layer of fence inside the perimeter fence, more security patrols and cameras with some sort of infrared device have all happened in the last 6-12 months.

Messing with Soldiers always made time in the field somewhat enjoyable. In the armor (tank) world, we used Listening Post/Observation Posts. These were usually located a couple hundred meters outside of a company assembly area and were used to provide early warning. It was fun to go out checking on the Soldier(s) manning the LP/OP position, and then use your finely tuned NCO hearing and night vision to locate something of interest approaching and then tell the Soldiers on LP/OP to turn off their chem-light. You would then watch them fumble with a glow stick for about 30 seconds trying to find the on/off switch, or as long as you could keep a straight face before you took it from them and buried it in the dirt.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I have an old softcopy of FSH Reg 350-2, which covers the training ranges at Camp Bullis. There are no artillery ranges listed, nor have I ever seen any artillery on that installation.

There is a test range designed for use by military agencies and civilian contractors to conduct testing of explosive devices and munitions not to exceed 25 pounds TNT equivalent (waiverable by the camp commander). Explosions also cannot violate established noise level restrictions outside the installation boundary.

There are also a hand grenade/claymore range as well as a M203/LAW range, but I am not sure how much either are used or if they are at all.

The maximum range of any of the ranges is 1100 meters, far below artillery levels which are usually measured in kilometers (a M777 howitzer has a range of about 40 kms).

Cheers! M2

Whatever this was, it was extremely loud. I was in my fairly sound proof study at the time with music playing at a decent volume and I started hearing rumbling over my music that sounded like a thunderstorm was very close. Since I knew there weren't any storms around, I went outside to check it out. It sounded like the base was under attack there was so much noise and firing! I have never heard anything like this before except the much softer sound of controlled detonations and those I could only hear outside and if I was really paying attention to it. I'm at least 5 miles away from the northern side of Camp Bullis. I'm hoping to hear it again, and I'll record it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or